Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giant Defy 1

Options
  • 14-07-2014 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just back from the bike shop, handing my bike in to get my BB looked at:( Been having a number a issues with the bike(its nearly 6 years old roughly) so i think it times to get a new bike, and saw the Giant Defy 1 priced at €1250 lad in the shop he could probably let it go for €1125...

Here is the bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.defy.1.black.red/11833/66132/#specifications

Just a few questions

*Are the wheels on the Giant(P-Elite C), better than my current wheels Mavic Aksium(S Red 23 WTS)

*What sort of mileage should one be expecting to get out the components on the Defy 1, BB, Deraileurs etc

*Is 1125 a could price fro the bike, or is there potentially better value to be had out there?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hey all,

Just back from the bike shop, handing my bike in to get my BB looked at:( Been having a number a issues with the bike(its nearly 6 years old roughly) so i think it times to get a new bike, and saw the Giant Defy 1 priced at €1250 lad in the shop he could probably let it go for €1125...

Here is the bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.defy.1.black.red/11833/66132/#specifications

Just a few questions

*Are the wheels on the Giant(P-Elite C), better than my current wheels Mavic Aksium(S Red 23 WTS)

*What sort of mileage should one be expecting to get out the components on the Defy 1, BB, Deraileurs etc

*Is 1125 a could price fro the bike, or is there potentially better value to be had out there?

Cheers in advance

Don't think the wheels are the best.

1125 is a good price. Maybe try get him to throw in a jersey or glasses.

The 105 group set is quiet good and should last quiet a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

not yet wrote: »
    Don't think the wheels are the best.

1125 is a good price. Maybe try get him to throw in a jersey or glasses.

The 105 group set is quiet good and should last quiet a long time.

So the Mavics would be better? As in my current wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

So the Mavics would be better? As in my current wheels

I think so, but others on here will confirm, the stock wheels on the defy are pretty basic although on a bike at the price range they prob all are.

The defy is still an excellent all round bike and decent value at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melovelo

Bought the 2013 model in sept 2012 for 1150. Since then have racked up nearly 15000km. Have replaced the BB, the cassette and a couple of chains.

Still seems grand to me. Cant comment on the wheels as I dont know any better! But I would reckon the Mavics would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My LBS knocked my Defy 4 down from €750 to €650 so I'd guess there may be more "wriggle room" based on the percentages. A few extra goodies thrown in as suggested above might be a very possible alternative to additional discount.

The tyres that came with the Defy 4 were rubbish. Punctures and duck eggs after 500/750km. I replaced them with Michelin Pro 4 Service Course and not a puncture since (2,500km)............ *touches wood*

• Advertisement
Advertisement