Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confused - is this income?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi everyone!
    I am trying to understand as I am confused from this: if you have no job and no profit from any activities, and live by yourself but still receive from money from your parents, is that income?
    If its irregular, how does it count? Would life expenses go against it, or is that only for business expense? If it is, will they just ask me how much of it i received last year, or do I need to specify how much I receive monthly? Cause the amounts can go down a lot or up again so I wouldn't have a number (could maybe do an average?).

Or let's say I get some money that I lent to a friend, and I get it back on my bank account. That is counted as income?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭stillalive88

Up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

You would need to provide evidence on how you intend to support yourself, living alone with no income.

If you receive money back from a friend that you had previously loaned to them, it is not counted as income but proof of such an arrangement may be required, if the money returned is a substantial amount.

The same may apply to the money from any parents or guardians. (Would this mean you are still dependent upon them?)

Yes that is why I am asking. Since the definition of independent just mentions the fact of living under a different roof, and then income would usually come from work or whatever, this point makes me quite confused.

I feel like I belong in a ghost category in the middle that doesn't really exist. But I can't be the only one under this definition, there must be others lucky to get something from parents while they build their own thing up from the ground or look for the first job...
    Anyone has an idea?

Yes that is why I am asking. Since the definition of independent just mentions the fact of living under a different roof, and then income would usually come from work or whatever, this point makes me quite confused.

I feel like I belong in a ghost category in the middle that doesn't really exist. But I can't be the only one under this definition, there must be others lucky to get something from parents while they build their own thing up from the ground or look for the first job...
    Anyone has an idea?

If you apply as an independent mature student (over 23 and evidence of independent residence from the previous October to your point of entry or re-entry) and you provide the required evidence of Independent Residence, then your reckonable income is a separate matter.

You would be required to provide details of where you are getting money from (if any) and then the income thresholds would apply to the type/amount of grant you would be eligible for.

People have apply for the grant that have no income (Pay or Social Welfare) but they may have some savings that they lived off day to day. Once they can provide the details as such, they were eligible.

AFAIK, If you are supported by your parents, but can prove you are living independently (Utility Bill, LPT Statement, Registered PRTB Contract, ETC) , then the income you get from your parent would be reckonable but as an Independent Student.

Oh ok.

So it IS income, though not from working, earnings, properties or whatever.

• Advertisement

Yes, Income from anything.

All income from Work, Social Welfare, Interest on Savings or Investments, Income profit from Property and Assets ETC is reckonable.
    There is an allowance for income from Work (Holiday Pay) where the applicant has been in education during such employment.
    Some Social Welfare payments are disregarded but should be submitted and SUSI deduct them where applicable.

Advertisement