Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog friendly Galway?

Options
  • 20-09-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi. I recently moved to Galway with my dog from a very dog-friendly neighborhood in Chicago that had fenced dog parks and beaches and dog friendly bars and pubs (*sigh*). My dog is a breed that can't be trusted off the lead unless in a fenced in area (bc she will just run), but from the research I've done there doesn't seem to be any fenced in dog parks near Galway. It also looks like most hiking trails have a "no dog" policy. Anyone have any advice for a good hiking trail (I don't mind having to drive if it's outside of Co Galway) that I can take my dog along on the hike? Or any other dog friendly places in Galway?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not sure about any places to let your dog off the leash, but a lot of people walk their dogs on the beach in Salthill.

As for pubs, O'Connell's has(or at least used to have) an old golden retriever wandering around the bar whenever I went in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

I don't know about dog-friendly premises in Galway city, but we have hiked all over the county and have rarely, if ever, been anywhere from which dogs were banned. What do you mean by a hiking trail? You may be defining it differently to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Don't know what side of the city you're on but there are lots of woods with different trails such as Portumna Forest Park, Monivea Woods and Coole Park in Gort, Barna Woods, none of them have fenced in areas though that I know of but I think that's something you might have to get used to here in Ireland, not many fenced in sections in parks for dogs, we're just not very dog friendly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

@Bazzo - thanks for the info.

@Jelly2 I suppose I was looking at the Ireland National Waymarked Trails website for the marked trails and trail loops, most of the trail descriptions have a section that states whether or not dogs are allowed. I'm really just looking for a nice off-road hike, maybe with some great scenery, to do with my dog

@Tranceypoo thanks for the advice! We checked out Barna Woods this week - will check out the other areas you suggested!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

There are some lovely walks out around the Maamcross area, which are open to dogs. A recent one that we took was through Coilte (the semi-state company that looks after the state forests) ground, and the dogs really enjoyed it. You could also try to Burren, there are loads of paths through it, and you can bring the dogs.
    I second the forest parks that Trancepoo named above, they're great for dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

That sounds perfect. Thank you so much for the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/ is a great site for finding trails and places to walk. :)

Advertisement