Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

2forjoy wrote: »
    I want to buy compact camera that I can see the 3'' screen in bright sunshine. No more than €200 to spend .

Littlewoods Panasonic TZ 90

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/pa...1600183615.prd

Using the discount code for 20% off LXJV4
    And buy now pay 12 months code 4JX7G

Then €40 cashback from Panasonic.

Total €288.79

Absolute bargain for a 4K camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Hopefully asking in the right place. I've been through the 'intro' threads and searched this one but haven't found information spceifically helpful to my situation.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for best value and decent quality in DSLR + Lens for exclusively sports photography (GAA Club).

I'm helping my local GAA club research options on a camera for match photogaphy. I've been roped in to this as I have a little knowledge but in this case, just enough to know that I don't know enough.

When I last researched cameras, the Canon 5D was king of the hill and DSLR vidoegraphy was just taking off (my own background is more video than photography). I have a 550d myself with stiock lens for point and shoot family stuff. So I'd be most familiar with Canon gear.

The proposed kit will be used by one or two people at the club (PRO & likely myself) to take shots at matches for match reports on facebook, website and the like. Current equipment (some anonomous compact) just doesn't have the reach or speed required for the shots we'd like and currently comprise mostly of 'post action' contortions with vast swathes of pitch or stands framing a tiny group of players, usually out of focus.

Local pro photographer would still be used for evnet photography so this is just for the myriad of juvenile matches and Junior B outings which wouln't otherwise be documented.

I'd be comfortable with a Canon 7D MKii paired with an EF 70-200 f2.8 IS. That body apparently has best in class deep memory for burst mode and the lens I think is a thing of beauty. However, the pricing there at ~€1,600 for body and >€2K for the lens is way way way beyond what I could go back with (even to consider 2nd hand).

(There is no budget set but I need to present a range of options - I'm also acutely conscious that the users won't be super experienced so don't want to be over-speccing)

So my question is, what are the options?

I was looking at the Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM at €500 seems more in line with possible expectations. What are the compromises here? Slower with variable speed but for outdoors, will that be such a big deal? IS is attractive.

And assuming that lens, what would be a decent body specifically for action photography? Good burst mode would be important as would rapid and accurate fcus. Not too concerneted about crop sensor as that would effectively increase lens range.

Do bear in mind, I'm not tied to Canon at all. It's just what I know more than any other brand. I'd be happy to find a Canon solution and then start looking at other brands for equivalents.

Finally, we will, of course, consult in a bricks & mortar store but I'd be interested opinions here before we embark on that particualr journey.

Thanks for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

meep wrote: »
    Hopefully asking in the right place. I've been through the 'intro' threads and searched this one but haven't found information spceifically helpful to my situation.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for best value and decent quality in DSLR + Lens for exclusively sports photography (GAA Club).

I'm helping my local GAA club research options on a camera for match photogaphy. I've been roped in to this as I have a little knowledge but in this case, just enough to know that I don't know enough.

When I last researched cameras, the Canon 5D was king of the hill and DSLR vidoegraphy was just taking off (my own background is more video than photography). I have a 550d myself with stiock lens for point and shoot family stuff. So I'd be most familiar with Canon gear.

The proposed kit will be used by one or two people at the club (PRO & likely myself) to take shots at matches for match reports on facebook, website and the like. Current equipment (some anonomous compact) just doesn't have the reach or speed required for the shots we'd like and currently comprise mostly of 'post action' contortions with vast swathes of pitch or stands framing a tiny group of players, usually out of focus.

Local pro photographer would still be used for evnet photography so this is just for the myriad of juvenile matches and Junior B outings which wouln't otherwise be documented.

I'd be comfortable with a Canon 7D MKii paired with an EF 70-200 f2.8 IS. That body apparently has best in class deep memory for burst mode and the lens I think is a thing of beauty. However, the pricing there at ~€1,600 for body and >€2K for the lens is way way way beyond what I could go back with (even to consider 2nd hand).

(There is no budget set but I need to present a range of options - I'm also acutely conscious that the users won't be super experienced so don't want to be over-speccing)

So my question is, what are the options?

I was looking at the Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM at €500 seems more in line with possible expectations. What are the compromises here? Slower with variable speed but for outdoors, will that be such a big deal? IS is attractive.

And assuming that lens, what would be a decent body specifically for action photography? Good burst mode would be important as would rapid and accurate fcus. Not too concerneted about crop sensor as that would effectively increase lens range.

Do bear in mind, I'm not tied to Canon at all. It's just what I know more than any other brand. I'd be happy to find a Canon solution and then start looking at other brands for equivalents.

Finally, we will, of course, consult in a bricks & mortar store but I'd be interested opinions here before we embark on that particualr journey.

Thanks for reading!
    Hi
    I currently use a 7d mark2 and a 70-200 f2.8 for our local club and it suits my needs perfectly, I could do with a bit more reach at times but like yourself most of the shots are just for Facebook.
    I would recommend looking on adverts for a good second hand lens and camera,
    The 70-200 f2.8 might be a bit out of your price range so have a look for the 70-200 f4.
    You should manage to get both second hand for in or around €1500 if second hand is an option.
    After that I would recommend watching you tube videos to pick up some handy tips for shooting sports. It takes a bit of getting used to but you should pick it up fairly quickly.
    I would recommend picking up a cheap wider angle lens as well, even an a kit lens (18-55) you might need this for the team photo before or after the games.
    They can be got for around €100 euro.

I am sure Nikon have similar set up which might suit your budget..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Looking for a entry level DSLR camera for web photography for jewellery items. I was looking at the Nikon D5300 and and also Canon EOS 750D Kit + 18-55mm

Would also like to use the camera for holidays etc

Any advise welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    I currently use a 7d mark2 and a 70-200 f2.8 for our local club and it suits my needs perfectly, I could do with a bit more reach at times but like yourself most of the shots are just for Facebook.
    I would recommend looking on adverts for a good second hand lens and camera,
    The 70-200 f2.8 might be a bit out of your price range so have a look for the 70-200 f4.
    You should manage to get both second hand for in or around €1500 if second hand is an option.
    After that I would recommend watching you tube videos to pick up some handy tips for shooting sports. It takes a bit of getting used to but you should pick it up fairly quickly.
    I would recommend picking up a cheap wider angle lens as well, even an a kit lens (18-55) you might need this for the team photo before or after the games.
    They can be got for around €100 euro.

I am sure Nikon have similar set up which might suit your budget..

They have, it's the d500. It's a good bit better than the 7d mkii for stills and sports photography but it is a lot more expensive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

irishmoss wrote: »
    Looking for a entry level DSLR camera for web photography for jewellery items. I was looking at the Nikon D5300 and and also Canon EOS 750D Kit + 18-55mm

Would also like to use the camera for holidays etc

Any advise welcome.

Neither of those are quite entry level. The Canon 1300D is the entry level model at about €420-€469 new. The 200D is the newest in the next level up of entry level canons.

Likewise, the Nikon D3400 is cheaper than the D5300. You can get that from about €465.

Any entry level DSLR is more than enough for product shots and holidays. For product shots, it's all about light though. You will probably want a light box (very cheap) to make it look professional. You can also make one very easily.

Unfortunately, you missed a fantastic deal on Black Friday. I got a Canon 77D and after discounts and €100 cashback from canon, it cost me €599 which considering it normally costs about €1k, it was a bargain. That was body only as I already had the lenses.

I'm coming from (and still have) the 700D and it's a great camera in itself but the 77D is just much better in low light and has a lot more focus points as well as the top LCD panel for quick changes. Be on the lookout for bargains. I originally got my 700D in a mad sale from Argos for €365 years ago. It normally sits around €760 so it was a serious bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Good starter 4k camera? just getting into photography and love to photograph landscapes and buildings. Possible in around €300?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Good starter 4k camera? just getting into photography and love to photograph landscapes and buildings. Possible in around €300?

Are you going to do much video footage & are you into post production?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Are you going to do much video footage & are you into post production?

Not alot of video footage yet. No post production but I may transition into something like this in the future. For now I want to leave my phone down and buy a reasonable get me on the ladder camera to experiment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think you are getting confused with some marketing and technical lingo.

4k is a term used for video. It has a resolution of approximately 9MP. In Photography terms, that's phone level.

Most DSLRs shoot over 20MP these days but might not shoot 4k video as that's a different kind of technology.

So in answer, any current camera on the market can shoot photographs much higher than 4k resolution. Few of these will shoot video at that resolution though.

• Advertisement

Does it have to be 4k? A nice secondhand micro 4/3 panasonic might be got within budget or maybe a little over.

These are the best of both worlds. They are good at full hd video and good at taking stills. A decent camera thats good at 4k will set you back a lot of money and starting out I can't see the point in it but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

The Canon EOS 10D is a discontinued 6.3-megapixel semi-professional digital SLR camera
    I own one for years but the lense is a piece of crap that came with it - Its a sigma 18 -50 mm
    If i knew how to use the camera properly - I might get some half decent images -

I reckon I could sell it for 30 - 50 quid on adverts or somewhere else.

What i would like to ask anyone here is - is it worth considering a second hand bridge camera or DSLR
    or
    would I better buying a better lense for the 10D

What would you do.

Im considering this - https://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-camera-fz35/14519477
    or this:
    https://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/samsung-gx10-pentax-k10d-schneider-kreuznach-d-xenon-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-zoom-lens/13430927

anyone any thoughts on either option or should I upgrade my lens

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

The Canon EOS 10D is a discontinued 6.3-megapixel semi-professional digital SLR camera
    I own one for years but the lens is a piece of crap that came with it - Its a sigma 18 -50 mm
    If i knew how to use the camera properly - I might get some half decent images -

What i would like to ask anyone here is - is it worth considering a second hand bridge camera or DSLR
    or
    would I better buying a better lens for the 10D

What would you do.

Im considering this - https://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-camera-fz35/14519477
    or this:
    https://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/samsung-gx10-pentax-k10d-schneider-kreuznach-d-xenon-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-zoom-lens/13430927

thanks

dball wrote: »
    I own one for years but the lens is a piece of crap that came with it - Its a sigma 18 -50 mm

or
    would I better buying a better lens for the 10D

What would you do.

or this:

thanks
    Buy a lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

HI there. I plan to go travelling and was looking at the Canon EOS M10 or the Panasonic Lumix G DC GX800. Which of these would be the best to buy? Thanks

dercunx wrote: »
    HI there. I plan to go travelling and was looking at the Canon EOS M10 or the Panasonic Lumix G DC GX800. Which of these would be the best to buy? Thanks

The panasonic because the lenses are more compact and the autofocus is better. They are the perfect travel camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

I've been asked to buy a point and shoot for that mother in law. 450 euro max budget. Doesn't need too many features as it will be running in auto mode all the time. Which camera might excel in auto mode?

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

kifi wrote: »
    I've been asked to buy a point and shoot for that mother in law. 450 euro max budget. Doesn't need too many features as it will be running in auto mode all the time. Which camera might excel in auto mode?

Any recommendations?

I have a Panasonic TZ70, and a TZ90.

Both excellent at being great 'point & shoot'. However, as time goes on, they allow you to experiment with other settings.
    The TZ90 has 4K capabilities. Other than that they're both pretty much the same.

I highly recommend either. :)

I have a Panasonic TZ70, and a TZ90.

Both excellent at being great 'point & shoot'. However, as time goes on, they allow you to experiment with other settings.
    The TZ90 has 4K capabilities. Other than that they're both pretty much the same.

I highly recommend either. :)

Any thoughts on the Sony RX100 Mark i ?

Any thoughts on the Sony RX100 Mark i ?

It's a much better camera for photographs compared to the two panasonics mentioned above because it has a much larger sensor.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's a much better camera for photographs compared to the two panasonics mentioned above because it has a much larger sensor.

Cheers. Would there be a disadvantage to the sony rx100 when compared to the panasonics?

Cheers. Would there be a disadvantage to the sony rx100 when compared to the panasonics?

It doesn't shoot 4k video but do you really need 4k video? For me it wouldn't matter a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MelBri

Hi there, looking to get into photography and I'm planning to buy a second hand camera to get me started. I'm trying to decide between the Fugifilm FinePix S2750HD and the FUJI Finepix S2950. The both seem to have similar enough specs and I'm wondering if either has the advantage over the other? or if anyone has an experience with either? For the moment I would mostly be using the camera for landscape pictures and pictures of family members, friends and at parties/concerts and events.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What would it mean in simple terms "a soft lens" ?

Some reviews of the Canon G9X mk ii say is has a soft lens compared to the RX100 ?

Would I be mad to consider a Harvey Norman ex display model ?

What would it mean in simple terms "a soft lens" ?

Some reviews of the Canon G9X mk ii say is has a soft lens compared to the RX100 ?

Would I be mad to consider a Harvey Norman ex display model ?
    Soft lense means the photo it produces isn't sharp or isn't as sharp as the one the sony produces.

You could consider an ex display model from harvey norman. I know my local hn stores them in a glass cabinet so afaik they aren't touched. Not sure about the hn you are thinking of buying from though.

It still would want to be a nice bit cheaper than a new one though for me to consider it.

MelBri wrote: »
    Hi there, looking to get into photography and I'm planning to buy a second hand camera to get me started. I'm trying to decide between the Fugifilm FinePix S2750HD and the FUJI Finepix S2950. The both seem to have similar enough specs and I'm wondering if either has the advantage over the other? or if anyone has an experience with either? For the moment I would mostly be using the camera for landscape pictures and pictures of family members, friends and at parties/concerts and events.

Thanks in advance!
    They are old bridge cameras with small sensors and apart from the zoom they wouldn't be much better/if at all better than a phone. At full zoom picture quality will be significantly degraded too so it's not as useful as you might think.

For landscapes an entry level nikon dslr would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Soft lense means the photo it produces isn't sharp or isn't as sharp as the one the sony produces.

You could consider an ex display model from harvey norman. I know my local hn stores them in a glass cabinet so afaik they aren't touched. Not sure about the hn you are thinking of buying from though.

It still would want to be a nice bit cheaper than a new one though for me to consider it.

The one in Blanchardstown uses glass cabinets as well but I think the ex displays are only sold online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MHDesigns

Hi, I’m thinking of upgrading my d40 and am looking for opinions on the D7200/d7500. Is the D7500 worth the extra €500 odd? I’m far from a professional and use it mostly for kids matches etc and some landscape. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hi all.

Looking to get a camera again. Raging I sold one first time round. Think it was a Nikon D80. Gf wants to get into photography and O just want s good camera.

Mostly for family photos, kids, some business stuff and days out etc.

Have about €350 to spend second hand is fine. I’m just lost in terms of what’s what I’m terms of series numbers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Nikons
    Consumer
    3xxx very entry level
    5xxx mid range consumer, good value
    7xxx higher end but still consumer

The rest you can safely avoid.
    If you can get a good used 5xxx you'll be flying.

Advertisement