Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

Hi sparkie thanks for the link. It wouldn't work for me so i just typed in directions from my village to dromtacker in tralee on the google maps and it gave me the distance. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Proof of Nationality, should I just scan my passport or photocopy my birth cert.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

This is probably a stupid question but I did an online application and then sent in the documents etc. My question is do the council get back to you to say they got the forms or do they wait until they give you a yay or a nay? Thanks :confused:

once your application is processed, they will contact you.
    Proof of Nationality, should I just scan my passport or photocopy my birth cert.

Thanks

yeah that will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I had the grant from my undergrad degree from 04-08. Decided to go back and do a postgrad starting this summer - i assume the rule is that 3 years have to have lapsed before you can apply again?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I had the grant from my undergrad degree from 04-08. Decided to go back and do a postgrad starting this summer - i assume the rule is that 3 years have to have lapsed before you can apply again?

Cheers

what rule are you talking about ?? I just finished my degree and am going straight into a masters now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Cheers

Yes - you can apply now because you are 're entering' - if you live with your parents though you are classified as a dependent

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Little Pea wrote: »
    what rule are you talking about ?? I just finished my degree and am going straight into a masters now.

Because you are going straight into the postgrad this is classified as 'entering' not 're entering' so it is not something you personally have to worry about.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PadraicEgan

They say they need tax documents for the previous tax year, i.e. 2010. But hardly anyone has their taxes done for 2010 already, and I was forced to hand in 2009 tax documents with my application. It is normally done by the accountant/agricultural consultant in September. Is anyone else in the same situation and will it affect my application? (dad is a farmer by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

once your application is processed, they will contact you.

yeah that will do just fine.

So copies of the additional forms will do ? someone said earlier that they have to be the original forms

well you need to send originals in, or bring them in yourself and they will copy and stamp them there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Another question from me on the extra documents, Im applying as a dependent mature student because Im still living at home, I said yes to the question that asks did my parents work in 2010, now they are currently both off work for medical reasons and will be for a while yet, so what documents should I provide when it asks for evidence of income from employment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

Question about section F8 - Income from savings, deposit accounts and investments

Does this mean just money you have in the bank and a bank statement to back it up? Or is this solely related to return on investing

threein99 wrote: »
    Another question from me on the extra documents, Im applying as a dependent mature student because Im still living at home, I said yes to the question that asks did my parents work in 2010, now they are currently both off work for medical reasons and will be for a while yet, so what documents should I provide when it asks for evidence of income from employment ?

provide all relevant info for 2010, but attach a letter stating they are no longer working and provide evidence of this. since its medically related, doctor's letter etc will suffice.

IfUSeekAmy wrote: »
    Hey, just enquiring about brackets.

what would be the income Id need to have to secure a full grant, living in kerry (applying for Dublin) for 3dependant children other than myself. Thx.

The income brackets are on page 35 of this

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

Terry Pratchet

begsy wrote: »
    Hi i'm confused about the whole grant application. To qualify for the grant do you have to live exactly 45 kilometeres from the college? Does any one know how many kilometers Lispole is from tralee? Or where can I find it out? Please help.
    No - If you live less than 45km then you get the adjacent rate. More than 45km and you get the non adjacent rate

Google maps might give you an idea

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lispole,+Ireland&daddr=Institute+of+Technology,+Liosdara,+Tralee,+Ireland&hl=en&sll=52.142073,-10.165226&sspn=0.007862,0.01929&geocode=FfmfGwMdFuRk_ynjQSby8_hPSDGS5boZqMcAJg%3BFSmZHQMdxSds_yH5L52eZYMjTg&mra=ls&z=11

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

I have sent off my grant application just wondering if someone could clarify I have all the correct paperwork. I will be going into office for them to copy.
    • Course acceptance form (dont have it yet)
    • Documentary evidence of independant living (esb, gas bill from sept/oct 2010)
    • Proof of nationality (will let them copy passport)
    • Evidemce of residency of 3 out of last 5 years (tax credits from 2005,2006,2007,2008, p60 from 2008,2009,2010)
    • Evidence of previous courses (fetac level 6 cert, have nothing from when I dropped out of a course after 6months in 2001)
    • Evidence of reckonable income (p60 from 2010)
    • I also have my leaving cert which I sent away for a few months ago
    • I also have a letter from prtb from 2007
    I hope thats all I need :)

I have sent off my grant application just wondering if someone could clarify I have all the correct paperwork. I will be going into office for them to copy.
    • Evidemce of residency of 3 out of last 5 years (tax credits from 2005,2006,2007,2008, p60 from 2008,2009,2010)
    • Evidence of previous courses (fetac level 6 cert, have nothing from when I dropped out of a course after 6months in 2001)

all seems fine. however, they might contact you after they receive the application looking for further documents, but it wont push your application back in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

You also need your P21 available from Revenue which shows your P60 earnings for 2010 and if there is any other income on this, you will need to provide documentary evidence of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

Hi

I submitted my grant form yesterday, I ticked the box for level 7 because I really didnt expect to get offered a level 8 which I did today.

Would it just be a matter of contacting my local vec and telling them to make the change?

rocco. wrote: »
    Hi

I submitted my grant form yesterday, I ticked the box for level 7 because I really didnt expect to get offered a level 8 which I did today.

Would it just be a matter of contacting my local vec and telling them to make the change?

The online system is new this year. I suggest ringing the VEC

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeal

Hi,

Does anyone know how they work out the distance for the non-adjacent rate? I'm living in ratoath and hoping to attend UCD. I tried the google maps directions option but it gave me 3 different options - using the m50 it's 49k away - and two options through the city is only 38k/32k.

If it's as the crow flies it's only 27k away.

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

jeal wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how they work out the distance for the non-adjacent rate? I'm living in ratoath and hoping to attend UCD. I tried the google maps directions option but it gave me 3 different options - using the m50 it's 49k away - and two options through the city is only 38k/32k.
    If it's as the crow flies it's only 27k away.

tks

it's as the crow flies so you would only be eligible for the adjacent rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Hi Guys,

For the section F1 I need to supply documentary evidence of my income for 2010, I worked in river Island for 1 month over the Christmas period and this was my first Job. On my P45 it says that I finished on (01 Jan 11)... I started on the 5th of December 2010.. Can I use the P45 even though it says I finished on the first of January 2011?

I don't have a P60 because I was told I don't need it because i'm unemployed and the P45 will do the same job as the P60, is this true?

I have one more question in regards to the residency requirement. I must prove that I have been resident in Ireland for 3 of the past 5 years. I can prove that I sat my Junior cert exams in 2008 by supplying a copy of my results. But how do I prove that I sat the leaving cert, as the results aren't out yet?

Furthermore, I can't get in contact with my school as it is closed until mid-august, so I can't get a letter from my principal..

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :D

cardor, dont worry about the 3/5 years with regards to your LC results. once they come out, send them to the vec. in the mean time, send them your JC results and anything else you think might help.
    once your application is sent to them, you can still send them more info when it becomes available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

cactus10 wrote: »
    Question about section F8 - Income from savings, deposit accounts and investments

Does this mean just money you have in the bank and a bank statement to back it up? Or is this solely related to return on investing

Bump

Can anyone help with this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Hi, I was wondering what I could use as proof of residency?
    Would bank statements be ok? and if so, how many etc.

cactus10 wrote: »

Bump

Can anyone help with this? :)

Documentary evidence for savings, deposit accounts or investments:
    • Statements of the interest/dividends paid from the financial institution or other provider,
    for example, bank, building society, post office or credit union etc covering the period 1
    January 2010 to 31 December 2010;
    • P21 PAYE Balancing Statement or Notice of Assessment for 2010

Terry Pratchet

seanor3 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering what I could use as proof of residency?
    Would bank statements be ok? and if so, how many etc.

Documentary evidence for residency for 3 out of the last 5 years
    This may be one or more of the following:
    • evidence that the applicant sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in
    Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming the
    applicant’s attendance at a school;
    • social welfare statements or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • utility bills;
    • registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB), or equivalent from
    the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • if the applicant is a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and
    Equality confirming the period of lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful
    presence cannot be considered.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Cardor wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

For the section F1 I need to supply documentary evidence of my income for 2010, I worked in river Island for 1 month over the Christmas period and this was my first Job. On my P45 it says that I finished on (01 Jan 11)... I started on the 5th of December 2010.. Can I use the P45 even though it says I finished on the first of January 2011?

I don't have a P60 because I was told I don't need it because i'm unemployed and the P45 will do the same job as the P60, is this true?

Can anybody answer this question? Its the only thing holding me back.. :S

• Advertisement

Cardor wrote: »
    Can anybody answer this question? Its the only thing holding me back.. :S

Once you have a P45 and a P21 for 2010 it should be fine I d say

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement