Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Primary Teacher training.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flipflops2

Hi I'm just reading this thread & I'm actually thinking of going back to do primary teaching also, I have an hons degree but I don't have a leaving cert, does this make a difference? I intended on doing honours Irish for the leaving as a stand alone subject, but will this be enough? I gave been trying to contact Hibernia for a few days by phone but to no avail, and I have emailed also. I'm guessing that they are busy attending to the current intake of student! Any help would be much appreciated & best of luck to all of you who are starting studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brightblue

hi, im not sure if this is the right thread to be posting on? im just wondering has anyone any information on getting a job after hibernia if u receive a pass award at the end of the course. Is it really important to get an honour , or do principals factor in everything u have done throughout the course? e.g how good t.p went etc?
    any feedback really appreciated on this. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anidon

Hi Ulster girl - have just applied for the hibernia interview - so nervous about the interview - you said you could forward on the notes you use - would you mind sending it on to me please? I have started irish grinds just to refresh - just so nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EricC

Have just come on to this thread, am just wondering how all of you are now getting on that started the course last October and how those got on in their interview earlier this year.

Would really appreciate the feedback.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

brightblue wrote: »
    hi, im not sure if this is the right thread to be posting on? im just wondering has anyone any information on getting a job after hibernia if u receive a pass award at the end of the course. Is it really important to get an honour , or do principals factor in everything u have done throughout the course? e.g how good t.p went etc?
    any feedback really appreciated on this. thanks!
    Honours or pass, jobs ,even subbing are like hen's teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Hi everyone, hope someone here could give me some advice on options to take for primary teaching. I have completed an undergrad and postgrad and now have a job in marketing. I've always wanted to do primary teaching but ignored any instincts to pursue and decided I'd like to try something different. Surprise surprise I've now decided I want to do primary teaching. I have all the leaving cert requirements but haven't spoken Irish since my LC 5 yrs ago. I'm now a mature student but understand that I can't get a grant because I've already done a masters? Could anyone please advise on which course is best? I would be open to travelling abroad but obviously cost is a big factor too. Also, I have a small bit of experience with secondary school subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ulstergirl

torregolf wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope someone here could give me some advice on options to take for primary teaching. I have completed an undergrad and postgrad and now have a job in marketing. I've always wanted to do primary teaching but ignored any instincts to pursue and decided I'd like to try something different. Surprise surprise I've now decided I want to do primary teaching. I
    have all the leaving cert requirements but haven't spoken Irish since my LC 5
    yrs ago. I'm now a mature student but understand that I can't get a grant
    because I've already done a masters?
    Could anyone please advise on which
    course is best? I would be open to
    travelling abroad but obviously cost is a
    big factor too. Also, I have a small bit of
    experience with secondary school
    subbing.

Hi there, I'm doing the Hibernia primary teaching course at the minute and working full time, it's a busy course but enjoyable. If you think that might be an option for you and you want to ask me
    any questions you can send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I would be open to travelling abroad but obviously cost is a big factor too.

Have you considered doing a post grad in Wales? You can see from the information at the bottom of my post that you may be eligible for a fee grant.

The jobs market is completely different to Ireland. I had a look at a few websites last week and I found 20-30 jobs in the area from Birmingham up to Manchester. I was only looking at Catholic schools as well. I reckon I came across over 200 jobs. Easily.

I haven't even considered the rest of England either due to the fact that I wouldn't be able to get there for an interview. There could be another coupe of hundred, or even a thousand, jobs out there.

I read this article on the BBC's website and it says that there could be a serious shortage of teachers in England in a few years.
    Shadow Education Secretary Stephen Twigg said an extra 15,000 teachers would be needed by 2014-15 as an additional 256,000 pupils start school. Mr Twigg said this was a "real and growing threat to school standards".

Mr Twigg's comments come less than two weeks after the National Audit Office warned that a quarter of a million extra school places would be needed in England by autumn 2014.

I don't really know why anyone would do a degree in Ireland without seriously considering doing one in Wales or England. Scotland is separate from the other two countries, I think. If you attend a course in Wales, then you can do your NQT year in Wales or England but not Scotland.
    I'm now a mature student but understand that I can't get a grant because I've already done a masters?

I'm not sure if you're eligible in Ireland, but you may be able to get a £5,535 fee grant in Wales that does not have to be repaid. It reduces the cost of the course from £9,000 to £3,465. You can also take out a loan against that remaining £3.465.
    If you will be studying in Wales and start your course on or after 1 September 2012 you may be eligible for a Fee Grant to cover part of the tuition fee amount charged by the university or college.
    The Fee Grant amount is the difference between the maximum Tuition Fee Loan available (£3,465) and the Tuition Fee being charged by the university or college.
    For example; Tuition Fee charged (up to £9,000) - Tuition Fee Loan maximum (£3,465) = Fee Grant entitlement (up to £5,535).
    You will not be eligible to receive the Fee Grant if you are undertaking a course at a private university of college in Wales.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_201463.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanie13

my sister did hibernia 2006 and has been in permanent employment since 2008. We are in Limerick, literally Mary I's door step. She did come across fuddy duddy stuck in the past principals who felt hibernia was not what MaryI was offering yet all members of her class (34) are employed. Hibernia attracts graduates with life experience...something money cannot buy and it is this life experience that helps in the lonely times when parents are causing a teacher grief or the stress of it all is getting to them....my sister had worked in banks, hospitals, admin etc after finishing her degree and all this made her a more rounded teacher well able to take on any tough cookie...most Mary I graduates entering into classrooms these days have only ever been in a classroom setting...i.e. they went to primary school, secondary school, Mary I and then back to a classroom....my sis has had customers in a bank being irate, patients in a hospital being impatient, customers on phone lines screaming abuse etc and all these life experiences have helped her be a great teacher I think...so if you are weighing up courses consider what suits you...as someone said already it's about the type of teacher you are as an individual and not the college you attended and if a principal shows a particular allegiance to a certain college, just back away and thank your lucky stars you don't work for someone so insular and small minded.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Things are changed a lot since 2008. Mary I, along with other colleges also offer a post grad, Hibernia are NOT the only post grad provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ShaneMac000

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old Trainee Solicitor who is in the middle of his traineeship....to be honest the law profession is going nowhere for me...I absolutely hate where I work and the work I do...I floated from one thing to the next as it was the easy step to take and now at 25 and half way through this I realise this isn't what I want to do and what I really want to do is teaching...I am seriously considering packing the law in and applying to the Hibernia course either for Primary or Secondary but am anxious to work somewhere while doing this so as to earn money to fund myself...I am looking for advice on what kind of jobs are appropriate to dovetail with this course or is this a course that can work around whatever job your in..not that I will continue being a trainee solicitor while doing the course...my aim is find another suitable job to carry me through while I complete the Hibernia course...under no circumstances do I want to continue what i'm doing presently...any feedback would be greatly apprecitated.....also my e-mail is <snip email address>anyone wants to reply privately

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Koddle

<snipped unsubstantiated allegations>

Mod note: Please do not sign up to boards to use every single post to bad mouth a company, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcswank

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old Trainee Solicitor who is in the middle of his traineeship....to be honest the law profession is going nowhere for me...I absolutely hate where I work and the work I do...I floated from one thing to the next as it was the easy step to take and now at 25 and half way through this I realise this isn't what I want to do and what I really want to do is teaching...I am seriously considering packing the law in and applying to the Hibernia course either for Primary or Secondary but am anxious to work somewhere while doing this so as to earn money to fund myself...I am looking for advice on what kind of jobs are appropriate to dovetail with this course or is this a course that can work around whatever job your in..not that I will continue being a trainee solicitor while doing the course...my aim is find another suitable job to carry me through while I complete the Hibernia course...under no circumstances do I want to continue what i'm doing presently...any feedback would be greatly apprecitated.....also my e-mail is <snip email address>anyone wants to reply privately

ShaneMac000 I am a qualified solicitor and I also decided that I hated law during training and wanted to do Hibernia. I am applying to Hibernia for this September but I am worried that I will then have two qualifications and still no job! The job front seems very bleak from what I'm reading on this thread. How long do you have left on your course? Your email address has been removed so I cannot contact you privately.

You can contact someone by PM (private message) Click on their username.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcswank

Thanks for that will do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 c.k28

Hi guys, I am thinking of doing the hibernia or else the PGCE online. I aim to start in in Sept '14.

I was looking up on the teaching council website and there is an important note up for people commencing a teaching qualification outside Ireland from Jan 1st 2014 stating that:

"a postgraduate diploma in education (e.g. P.G.C.E.) must have a credit weighting which is not less than equivalent to 120 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) Credits (or 240 CATS)".

So basically I'm just wondering if the PGCE has this amount of credits and will I still be able to go ahead and do the PGCE rather than doing the hibernia??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Your best bet is to look up a PGCE course you would be interested in and check its credits. From what I can see PGCE courses appear to be 60 ECTS, meaning it would not be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Reginak

Hi everyone! I am looking for serious advice. I went back & did hons Irish last year. I got my results yesterday... Got a B2.. Well chuffed with my self. I did the Hibernia interview about three weeks ago and they offered me a place pending my results., so now I have a place in sept cohort. In the meantime I fell pregnant. I am currently 3 months. I want nothing more than this baby & also to be a primary school teacher. I am due in march, so I have decided to defer till the April 2014 cohort. Is it do able with a new baby? Should I refuse my place altogether and re apply next September? Is it easier to do the course with a new baby or a toddler? I'm so bloody confused. Has anyone else been in my shoes???

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Hi All, sorry for dragging up an old thread but I feel it is very relevant as Im considering applying for Hibernia for April or Sep this year. Im full time prifessional for past 8 years good salary/ job etc but thinking about doing this for over 10 yrs. Just wanted to ask how are the job prospects now conoared to when people were writing this thread., are things any better for ye? And to 'Regjnak' - how did you get on with the course and having baby? Thats good to know too . Thanks in advance.. ☺

Reginak wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am looking for serious advice. I went back & did hons Irish last year. I got my results yesterday... Got a B2.. Well chuffed with my self. I did the Hibernia interview about three weeks ago and they offered me a place pending my results., so now I have a place in sept cohort. In the meantime I fell pregnant. I am currently 3 months. I want nothing more than this baby & also to be a primary school teacher. I am due in march, so I have decided to defer till the April 2014 cohort. Is it do able with a new baby? Should I refuse my place altogether and re apply next September? Is it easier to do the course with a new baby or a toddler? I'm so bloody confused. Has anyone else been in my shoes???

Job situation is still dire and likely to get worse when the new SEN model starts to hit. Can you survive on part time hours for a few years?Can you get by on a day here and there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Not sure... Sounds a bit miserable. Ive applied anyway and need to do some Irish practice before I get called for interview... :confused: But I am in a well paid Science job at the moment, most people think I'm mad :( so hard to know what the best thing to do is.

Advertisement