Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does this still apply even if Irish rail journeys take more than the time limit :
    due to the late arrival of the incomming train
    due to operational difficulties
    due to low rail adhesion
    due to IE allowing a railway fall into the sea
    due to IE allowing a train derail and having single-line running
    In such circumstances, you are entitled to a refund.
    due to IE deciding to run short trains and customerd being left behind as they can't fit?
    Even running with full length trains, this can sometimes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The Dublin Bus capping on Dublin Bus is actually quite disappointing with regard to the express services being capped at 2.50. The cap for DB is 6.90 which I assume is designed to replace the 1 day rambler which was also 6.90. But with that ticket you could use the express services and the airlink included.

So it looks to me that this is in a way a less beneficial ticket for users – granted you can use 2.50 towards nightlink which is excluded from the rambler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The Dublin Bus capping on Dublin Bus is actually quite disappointing with regard to the express services being capped at 2.50. The cap for DB is 6.90 which I assume is designed to replace the 1 day rambler which was also 6.90. But with that ticket you could use the express services and the airlink included.

So it looks to me that this is in a way a less beneficial ticket for users – granted you can use 2.50 towards nightlink which is excluded from the rambler.

It may indeed look that way VB,however it remains a very useful and laudable step in the ITS programme.

Given that the Expresso Zone 1 + 2 Leap fares are €2.50 and €3.50 respectively it's a good deal for most.

it should be borne in mind also that Expresso services have a far higher ratio of Period Pass holders as daily users,so the €2.50 concession is just that...a concession....

You could always shun this new-fangled stuff and stick with Cash...€3.05 and €4.20....that'll quickly soften one's financial cough from Dec 1.

The numbers of people being discommoded here are miniscule when placed against the overall benefit available to the majority ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It may indeed look that way VB,however it remains a very useful and laudable step in the ITS programme.

Given that the Expresso Zone 1 + 2 Leap fares are €2.50 and €3.50 respectively it's a good deal for most.

it should be borne in mind also that Expresso services have a far higher ratio of Period Pass holders as daily users,so the €2.50 concession is just that...a concession....

You could always shun this new-fangled stuff and stick with Cash...€3.05 and €4.20....that'll quickly soften one's financial cough from Dec 1.

The numbers of people being discommoded here are miniscule when placed against the overall benefit available to the majority ?

True, it most likely wont effect many but I would have thought a straight swap would be easier as the aim is the same, 1 day capping is in essence the 1 day rambler.

Still as you say it's progress to have the cap. I think progress has been significant for the card in recent months and hopefully will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Hi ,I need a bit of help regarding leap card . I read few pages from this post and I couldn't find what I am looking for; so at the moment I am driving but I want to switch to public transport as I think cost wise will be cheaper. I will need to take the bus for 3 stops and then the train for another 4 so which type should I use and how much will cost approximately per week?

Thank you in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OK - first off you need to specify the actual journey as the fares are not set on the basis of stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

I actually have a question. Been using this on the Luas, doing the same journey morning and evening, tagging on and off at either end and for one of the journeys I get a small refund when I tag off, on the other, nothing. Is that normal?

lxflyer wrote: »
    OK - first off you need to specify the actual journey as the fares are not set on the basis of stops.
    So I'm going from blanchardstown to clonsilla train station to maynooth.thanks

spring21 wrote: »
    So I'm going from blanchardstown to clonsilla train station to maynooth.thanks

Final question - are you a student?

Final question - are you a student?

No

• Advertisement

OK. Well then firstly, you're going to have to plan it well, as the 39 operates only every 30 minutes - there is the 239 also (hourly in the morning). The 39a does not pass the railway station.

Use www.a-b.ie and put in exact locations and you can match the bus and train times.

Fares wise, first of all you will not be using cash unless you're mad!!

I am basing my answer here on the revised fares, which may be introduced from next weekend, and that you're making the trip five days per week:

The LEAP Bus fare would be €1.45 single - €2.90 return per day
    The LEAP Rail fare would be €4.70 return

That's a total of €7.60 per day or €38 per week. Assuming 21 working days in a month that works out at €159.60.

You would be better off getting the Monthly Bus/Rail Short Hop ticket which costs €156, and allows you unlimited travel anywhere on the Dublin Bus network and within the Irish Rail Short Hop Zone (bordered by Balbriggan, Howth, Maynooth, M3 Parkway, Hazelhatch and Kilcoole).

This ticket is available under the taxsaver scheme (full details at www.taxsaver.ie) whereby you would save on tax, PRSI and USC on the cost of the ticket (which can be up to 52% depending on your tax rate), and your employer would save on employer PRSI. That means that the ticket would effectively cost you either €75 or €108 per month depending on your tax rate).

An annual version of this ticket is also available costing €1,560.

If your employer does not facilitate taxsaver, you can buy the monthly ticket at any Dublin Bus ticket agent or any rail station.

OK. Well then firstly, you're going to have to plan it well, as the 39 operates only every 30 minutes - there is the 239 also (hourly in the morning). The 39a does not pass the railway station.

Use www.a-b.ie and put in exact locations and you can match the bus and train times.

Fares wise, first of all you will not be using cash unless you're mad!!

I am basing my answer here on the revised fares, which may be introduced from next weekend, and that you're making the trip five days per week:

The LEAP Bus fare would be €1.45 single - €2.90 return per day
    The LEAP Rail fare would be €4.70 return

That's a total of €7.60 per day or €38 per week. Assuming 21 working days in a month that works out at €159.60.

You would be better off getting the Monthly Bus/Rail Short Hop ticket which costs €156, and allows you unlimited travel anywhere on the Dublin Bus network and within the Irish Rail Short Hop Zone (bordered by Balbriggan, Howth, Maynooth, M3 Parkway, Hazelhatch and Kilcoole).

This ticket is available under the taxsaver scheme (full details at www.taxsaver.ie) whereby you would save on tax, PRSI and USC on the cost of the ticket (which can be up to 52% depending on your tax rate), and your employer would save on employer PRSI. That means that the ticket would effectively cost you either €75 or €108 per month depending on your tax rate).

An annual version of this ticket is also available costing €1,560.

If your employer does not facilitate taxsaver, you can buy the monthly ticket at any Dublin Bus ticket agent or any rail station.

thank you so much for taking the time to write all the above , I have a clearer picture now. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

AlekSmart wrote: »

I got charged 4 on the 33x on Friday morning, cost over 6 euros to get to tallaght by leap. Week before I got to limerick for 11....
    Had to get the bus before the shop opened to get a t90, which would have cost 2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I actually have a question. Been using this on the Luas, doing the same journey morning and evening, tagging on and off at either end and for one of the journeys I get a small refund when I tag off, on the other, nothing. Is that normal?

Yes, because they'll have charged you less for that journey to begin with.

When you tag on, it charges you the maximum fare possible from that stop - so if there's 5 zones, and you get on in Zone 1, it'll take 5 zones off your card. If you get off in Zone 4, for example, you get refunded the fare for the last zone because you only travelled 4. When you get back on that evening, in Zone 4, you're only charged for 4 zones this time, because that's the most you could possibly travel from that stop. Therefore, you get no refund this time as you weren't charged the extra zone in the first place.

Have a look at the screens when you tag on - the fare will be 15c or so lower for the journey where you get no refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Can more than one user register the same leapcard(s) on leapcard.ie? I got a card earlier this year, but gave it to the missus a couple of months ago when she started to get the bus to work rather than drive. I then got myself another, even though I'm an infrequent user. Both cards are registered on leapcard.ie using my credentials. Do I have to share these credentials with her, or can she simply set up her own page and register both cards on it also?

There is an option to unregister a card. The other user should then be able to register the card. I'd leave it a day or two before registering it again.

Victor wrote: »
    There is an option to unregister a card. The other user should then be able to register the card. I'd leave it a day or two before registering it again.
    I'll get her to setup a page and then see what's possible. Ideally I'd like if both our pages could have the two leap cards registered, but I suspect that isn't possible. Will report back on how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

No Pants wrote: »
    I'll get her to setup a page and then see what's possible. Ideally I'd like if both our pages could have the two leap cards registered, but I suspect that isn't possible. Will report back on how we get on.

Why do you want to have it registered on two accounts? Unless it's a personalised card (which couldn't be registered twice) or you report it stolen/lost would it matter which of you uses it?

Ideally I'd like if both our pages could have the two leap cards registered
    I suspect that isn't possible. If you want, change it to a different, shared password.

ailbheg wrote: »
    Why do you want to have it registered on two accounts? Unless it's a personalised card (which couldn't be registered twice) or you report it stolen/lost would it matter which of you uses it?
    So that either of us can see if it needs topping up. As Victor says, it's probably not possible, so I'll just transfer it to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

So that either of us can see if it needs topping up. As Victor says, it's probably not possible, so I'll just transfer it to her.

You can do that with one account, just set a password both of you can remember.

ailbheg wrote: »
    You can do that with one account, just set a password both of you can remember.
    Yeah, that would work. I normally rotate my passwords every three weeks or so for stuff that has any kind of financial link to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Does anyone know, where you use your Leap Card on the Airlink service how much of the fare contributes towards the daily capped value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

AngryLips wrote: »
    Does anyone know, where you use your Leap Card on the Airlink service how much of the fare contributes towards the daily capped value?

From the leapcard website:
    For Dublin Bus, why doesn’t Airlink contribute towards the Cap?
    Airlink is a fully premium commercial service so it doesn’t contribute towards the cap.

Once again the tail is wagging the dog...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Weird ...because a Rambler ticket is valid on Airlink.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Weird ...because a Rambler ticket is valid on Airlink.

Dublin Bus made a commercial decision to allow the Rambler ticket to be used on the Airlink.

The NTA are paying for LEAP through the PSO grant, and are responsible for the cap, and as such do not view commercial services such as Airlink as being appropriate for inclusion in the cap.

Not good news for people, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Would Airlink be popular as a regular commuter service?

Would Airlink be popular as a regular commuter service?

I imagine that quite a few people with annual passes use it to commute to/from the Airport.

However, being accessible using a rambler ticket made it more attractive to use public transport to get to/from the Airport.

If some of the rambler tickets are withdrawn in the future, as the NTA fare determination report suggests, then those users may not use public transport for that trip, which to my mind is not a positive development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Sure the rambler on the Leap still works on the Airlink...

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Sure the rambler on the Leap still works on the Airlink...

Until it is potentially withdrawn in 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement