Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Software systems development in WIT

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hello, I'm just looking for someone to give me a run down on the course. I want to know as I'm hearing of some people that the course is based on mainly programming and I want to know if this is the case, cause I really enjoy programming. I would also like to know what else the course will consist of.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

J98 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm just looking for someone to give me a run down on the course. I want to know as I'm hearing of some people that the course is based on mainly programming and I want to know if this is the case, cause I really enjoy programming. I would also like to know what else the course will consist of.
    Thanks in advance.

I don't know if I would say it was mainly programming, but if you are a strong coder you should find the course handy enough as most modules allow for the fact that most students take a lot of time to complete the programming modules.

Apart from programming, there are modules around relational database theory and application (which I found very good), network admin, and some maths. There are also some very academic modules around Information Systems theory, in the context of Business Studies, which I hated.

Applied Computing is probably a better course, but you can go a long way with SSD, just be willing to continue learning outside the curriculum and keep up to date with new tech and processes (some of the stuff taught is a bit out of date).

As far as coding goes, you will be working with Java, JavaScript and Ruby on Rails if nothing has changed since I was there. DB's are Oracle, MySQL and Mongo IIRC.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not doing SSD but I am doing IT which shares a lot of the same modules and lecturers. There is a decent bit of programming but if you enjoy programming you will be grand, I am average at programming and I got good enough results so if you enjoy it you should fly through. There is maths in first year for SSD, some web design, networking, databases and I heard the lads in SSD talk about a module in human computer interaction or something.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Thanks in advance.

The clue is in the name.

The course will prepare you for a career in Developing Software Systems. Not even being funny saying that. It literally will.

You will learn to code and you will learn the inner workings of a business structure that you will be coding for. You will learn the types of data and how organisations use that data. You will create Software that uses that Data.

If you want to create Games etc.. do another course as it has none of that but if you like the idea of creating Software that a business will use SSD is a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

I'm currently entering 3rd year myself. The one thing I will say is the course is not as easy as the points needed suggest, leading to a high attrition rate after year one. A lot of people just throw down SSD on their CAO as a safety net, so be careful with who you befriend early on, because a lot of people in SSD have no love for programming, etc, just my 2 cents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

LickiRake wrote: »
    I'm currently entering 3rd year myself. The one thing I will say is the course is not as easy as the points needed suggest, leading to a high attrition rate after year one. A lot of people just throw down SSD on their CAO as a safety net, so be careful with who you befriend early on, because a lot of people in SSD have no love for programming, etc, just my 2 cents!

Just described an awful lot of Software Courses. The low points certainly dont help and the fact that 100 start in 1st year and an average of 8 graduate 4th year backs up what you say about the difficulty.

Definitely dont hang around with people who have 0 interest in programming. Its your future so time to leave that ****e behind.

Thanks for all the replys, it seems very interesting I would be looking to do well in the course. I saw in like 2011 or something barely anyone gratuated from the course and was just wondering from anyones experience how many people are in the course in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

Thanks for all the replys, it seems very interesting I would be looking to do well in the course. I saw in like 2011 or something barely anyone gratuated from the course and was just wondering from anyones experience how many people are in the course in first year.

It's a 3 year course, with an extra 1 year for you BSc(Hons) if you choose to pursue it. A lot of people, after their work experience semester in year 3, get offered jobs once their finished the rest of 3rd year. There is a low amount of people who go on and finish 4th year, but the rates of people finishing the 3 years is actually pretty high. So don't be disheartened at all, put in the hard work. Once other piece of advice, start thinking from year 1 about building your C.V., get used to things like GitHub, LinkedIn. maybe volunteering at a local Coder Dojo if there is one in the area. Also start applying for work experience in year 2. If you leave it to late, you'll end up making coffee for 6 months. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

LickiRake wrote: »
    Also start applying for work experience in year 2. If you leave it to late, you'll end up making coffee for 6 months. Best of luck.
    Er you can also do erasmus in third year which I highly recommend. They will push erasmus on you anyway, as they want more people to do it, and I highly recommend it. You can go live and study in some amazing places such as Czech Republic, USA, Norway etc. You also get funding to go there.

Its a great experience and something you will never forget and bring to the grave with you. You only get one chance at it and most courses dont offer it, luckily SSD does offer it.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Er you can also do erasmus in third year which I highly recommend. They will push erasmus on you anyway, as they want more people to do it, and I highly recommend it. You can go live and study in some amazing places such as Czech Republic, USA, Norway etc. You also get funding to go there.

Its a great experience and something you will never forget and bring to the grave with you. You only get one chance at it and most courses dont offer it, luckily SSD does offer it.

Off to Prague for third year myself in a few weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I finished the course a few years ago, and it was grand. Main aspects are:

-Some form of Java every semester (Although in fourth year Ruby replaced Java for one semester).
    -Always some form of web programming. If you see Human/User-Centered Design, that means web programming that looks nice/is more useable.
    -Always some form of business/databases. It kinda melts together in fourth year when they introduce SAP and Data Mining.
    -A bit of networking and security in 2nd/3rd year.
    -JQuery has replaced JavaScript now I believe(Second year stuff I think).

We mixed in a bit with the IT class throughout most semesters on some subjects. In fourth year, we mixed in with applied on one module. I don't think we ever had classes mixed with Entertainment Systems or Multimedia.

Of the 35 students who started the course, most dropped out in first year because they wanted to play ultimate frisbee and party instead of learn. I think less than ten finished the course, and only four or five finished fourth year. None of us went on to do a masters, but I'm heading off to do one now myself.

You can also change your add-on for fourth year, so if you do IT for three years, you can finish fourth year with SSD since SSD is basically a more programming-intensive kind of IT. Two guys did that; one to get a fancier sounding CV, and another because he disliked programming.

As with most colleges, there are good and bad lecturers. Stay on the good side of both and you'll go far.

On a last note, counterpointaud mentioned that Applied is better (You basically get the same credentials for one less year of work) and it pretty much is. The big problem with it is that unless you're really motivated as a youngster, you won't be able for it. What I mean by this is that if your life at home is crap or you were miserable in school or generally just didn't study, the course will be too much for you to take on. You could simply be too young and not able for the coursework involved. It'd be far better to take one of the more spread-out courses (Any of the levels 7 courses with year 4 level 8 add-on) so you can re-adjust yourself. I myself had a pretty **** time in school and just wasn't motivated to do anything in college for a while. A bereavement in first year didn't help, but if I took the Applied course I would've been up **** creek at the time.

An example: A particularly cocky Applied student (Disclaimer: All other Applied students I met were sound) went into his first job and did quite badly. He was very young and likely hadn't held down a job before. He absolutely was not prepared for this kind of stuff that early in his life. If he had taken one of the longer courses, he might have been okay, because that's another year of maturity on your belt.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. You'll end up with the same qualifications by the end of your course, it'll just take another year to get there. You can use that year to build yourself up more or just enjoy your youth.

Oh, and lastly do yourself a massive favour and buy "Head First Java". I have no idea why my lecturer never even mentioned this book to us, but it is absolutely brilliant for explaining the theory behind Java. You will go very far if you read over this book, but bear in mind that you should have some familiarity with programming before any of it makes sense. By the end of first year, you should be prepared for it. You can actually order it from the Book Center and I cannot recommend it enough. It's always mentioned whenever anyone online asks "What's the best Java book?".

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chris_Thompson

After completing the IT course a while back i am thinking of returning the complete a level 8 add on year after a break from education. How feasible is it to jump from IT to SSD for the final year? I don't want to be playing catch up on any modules etc if i can avoid it!

a fat guy wrote: »

-Some form of Java every semester (Although in fourth year Ruby replaced Java for one semester).
    -Always some form of web programming. If you see Human/User-Centered Design, that means web programming that looks nice/is more useable.
    -Always some form of business/databases. It kinda melts together in fourth year when they introduce SAP and Data Mining.

We mixed in a bit with the IT class throughout most semesters on some subjects. In fourth year, we mixed in with applied on one module. I don't think we ever had classes mixed with Entertainment Systems or Multimedia.

Of the 35 students who started the course, most dropped out in first year because they wanted to play ultimate frisbee and party instead of learn. I think less than ten finished the course, and only four or five finished fourth year. None of us went on to do a masters, but I'm heading off to do one now myself.

You can also change your add-on for fourth year, so if you do IT for three years, you can finish fourth year with SSD since SSD is basically a more programming-intensive kind of IT. Two guys did that; one to get a fancier sounding CV, and another because he disliked programming.

As with most colleges, there are good and bad lecturers. Stay on the good side of both and you'll go far.

On a last note, counterpointaud mentioned that Applied is better (You basically get the same credentials for one less year of work) and it pretty much is. The big problem with it is that unless you're really motivated as a youngster, you won't be able for it. What I mean by this is that if your life at home is crap or you were miserable in school or generally just didn't study, the course will be too much for you to take on. You could simply be too young and not able for the coursework involved. It'd be far better to take one of the more spread-out courses (Any of the levels 7 courses with year 4 level 8 add-on) so you can re-adjust yourself. I myself had a pretty **** time in school and just wasn't motivated to do anything in college for a while. A bereavement in first year didn't help, but if I took the Applied course I would've been up **** creek at the time.

An example: A particularly cocky Applied student (Disclaimer: All other Applied students I met were sound) went into his first job and did quite badly. He was very young and likely hadn't held down a job before. He absolutely was not prepared for this kind of stuff that early in his life. If he had taken one of the longer courses, he might have been okay, because that's another year of maturity on your belt.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. You'll end up with the same qualifications by the end of your course, it'll just take another year to get there. You can use that year to build yourself up more or just enjoy your youth.

Oh, and lastly do yourself a massive favour and buy "Head First Java". I have no idea why my lecturer never even mentioned this book to us, but it is absolutely brilliant for explaining the theory behind Java. You will go very far if you read over this book, but bear in mind that you should have some familiarity with programming before any of it makes sense. By the end of first year, you should be prepared for it. You can actually order it from the Book Center and I cannot recommend it enough. It's always mentioned whenever anyone online asks "What's the best Java book?".

Thanks very much, gave a good details about the course.

a fat guy wrote: »

Thanks very much, you gave good details about the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

After completing the IT course a while back i am thinking of returning the complete a level 8 add on year after a break from education. How feasible is it to jump from IT to SSD for the final year? I don't want to be playing catch up on any modules etc if i can avoid it!

A classmate of mine went from SSD to IT and found it fine, but he was looking for a course with less programming. Which is pretty much the main difference between IT and SSD, as SSD is more focused on programming.

As for how easy you'll find it, that depends entirely on your circumstance! If you just took a year out and didn't do any programming whatsoever in that year, then yeah, it'll be more difficult than if you had decided to practice. If I was you, I'd buy a book called "Head First Java" (You can buy it at the book centre) and spend all of my spare time working on module/final year project work, followed by reading this book. It'll be boring, but you definitely aren't in college to party anymore when you get past second year!

The main programming "parts" of fourth year in SSD were basically:

-Build a Rails app(Lecturer said that he probably went too easy on us for that semester, so he may have changed this).
    -Learn Ruby (Basic syntax was taught, testing with Ruby was too, etc. Actually kinda hard because the lecturer gave us really unexpected tests. Most didn't do amazingly well).
    -SOAP/REST Web Service with Java (Surprisingly grand, just remember that he'll be expecting the whole shebang for this module, so make it look pretty even if he doesn't explicitly ask for it).
    -Final year project (The fun one... It's doubly weighted and you'll be doing an analysis/design document to accompany it in the first semester for the second semester. Can be quite difficult if you're bad at programming. You can mix it up with project from other modules, however, making it easier on you).
    -I think there was another one I'm getting mixed up with the Ruby module, but can't be 100% certain. So you're basically looking at about four programming modules and a final year project.

As for whether you're asking about catchup in the vein of ones years work leading onto the next... Many of the IT modules are shared with SSD. I mean, we had Android classes together in third year. I can't remember the years before that, but largely anything programming related was shared. The big change was made in fourth year, where SSD got a lot more development modules than IT, while IT got off easy with XML modules and some kind of web retrieval thing that I hadn't heard of before. Put the work in (Work NOW, rather than a couple of weeks before it's due) and everything will be fine.

It might also be a good idea to think about what you actually want to do with your degree. I generally found that anyone who was looking for the easiest time possible in college ended up working in a call centre or doing tech support. That would be a nightmare for me, so definitely bear in mind all the poor lost souls who spent three or four years in college only to end up having to listen to someone scream down the phone to them! I hear plenty of tales of people deciding to specialize in Android development, SAP and general software development after doing the SSD course, so pick something and you should be good to go on that front too.

You should also think outside the box with respect to your career too, so don't think that just because I mention things you'll cover in college that they're what you're limited to! You could become a tester, Database Admin, Oculus Rift developer, front-end dev or pretty much any kind of software-related role once you have a degree behind you.

Got my place in the course after, have it deferred for next year.Would this be the right course for me to do if I want to become a programmer? if so does this course prepare you to work as a programmer/developer? Also how hard was it to get a job after the degree as a programmer? Basically I want to know is this course a good choice to become a programmer and will it get you a good job at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Got my place in the course after, have it deferred for next year.Would this be the right course for me to do if I want to become a programmer? if so does this course prepare you to work as a programmer/developer? Also how hard was it to get a job after the degree as a programmer? Basically I want to know is this course a good choice to become a programmer and will it get you a good job at the end?

Course isn't easy so worry about getting through it first. There is work in SW. If you graduate you can always piss off abroad if there's a down turn.

Advertisement