Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa starting problem

• 17-11-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Opel Corsa 1.0 petrol would not start this morning - Battery OK and turning over engine fine - Thought it was a "key" problem (had a similar problem about a month ago and swapping keys seemed to solved it) - Persisted in turning engine over for considerable time and it eventually it started and I have started it a number of times since (with difficulty) - This is my daughter's car and I'm afraid that it will let her down and leave her stranded - Any ideas greatly appreciated - Elder Lemon

Comments

I'd check the ignition system, plugs, coils etc. Or have them looked at. Key swap was a coincidence I would think. I would doubt it is a fuel problem although fouled fuel filters can provide intermittent cold start issues depending on how long the filter was last primed. To discount fuel probs spray some easy start in the air intake while someone else cranks the car the next time it happens, if it still doesn't start it isn't a fuel issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elder Lemon

Thanks RoverJames - Will follow your advice re ignition system and fuel system and let you know how I get on - Elder Lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is the engine managment light on the dash coming on. When started does it drive ok , The coil pack and egr valve and crankshaft sensor are known issues with the earlier Corsa's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Crank sensor is a known weak spot on these. Coils tend to give misfire whilst running rather than hard start. Car will need a scan to see what shows up.

Thanks to the Muppet and Shamwari for getting back. There seems to be agreement regarding a suspect crankshaft sensor. Yes - when I tried to start the car initially the engine management light was on. The car was really difficult to start, I had to crank it a lot more than was anything like normal to the point of nearly flattening the battery. Yes - the car seemed to drive OK once started. I havn't seen the car since the initial problem but my daughter has driven it for the past 2 days and started it a number of times each day. Difficult to get reliable information from her - once it starts and runs she's happy. I still feel that it will let her down though. Will I need to take the car to a main dealer to have it "scanned" ?? - Elder Lemon

• Advertisement

When you say the management light was on, was is flashing by any chance? Flashing can indicate an immobiliser fault, but I doubt if that is the cause here.

Any mechanic can do a code scan for you if they have a fault code reader. Where are you based by the way?

Thanks for getting back Shamwari - Yep, thinking back to the no start incident, the management light was flashing - I'm in the Blancardstown area but car is based in Leixlip - By the way is there a way for a non mechanic to get the fault codes without a scanner - Elder Lemon

I have a scanner and software for the Corsa. I'm in Swords and would be happy to read the code. Drop me a pm if you want.

Thanks for getting back Shamwari - Yep, thinking back to the no start incident, the management light was flashing - I'm in the Blancardstown area but car is based in Leixlip - By the way is there a way for a non mechanic to get the fault codes without a scanner - Elder Lemon

Some of the earlier corsa-b's could be code-read by linking two pins in the diagnostic socket, and this in turn made the management flight flash several times. The number of flashes counted corresponded with a fault code.

I am almost certain that if your corsa has the immobiliser fitted, you will not be able to do this (from around 98 / 99 or so onwards) and therefore it will need to be code read. If its an earlier one which you can blink-read then I'll root out the procedure to get those codes and post it here.

Assuming you do have an an immobiliser issue, try and start the car with a spare key and see does it cure the problem. If it makes no difference then I'd say there may be a problem with the transponder aerial, which is usually a ring around the ignition barrel. I'd recommend a code scan before changing any bits though.

Thanks for your advice Shamwari - The Muppet has kindly offered to read the fault code for me tomorrow and this will hopefully point me in a definite direction - As a person new to Boards.ie I am really impressed with the generosity of you guys in helping others out - it renews my faith in my fellow countrymen particularly at a time where we are characterised as being a greedy lot - Will keep you posted on how I get on tomorrow - Regards - Elder Lemon

• Advertisement

Just to update and thank the Muppet, Shamwari and RoverJames regarding the Opel Corsa starting problem.

Today my daughter and I the great pleasure of meeting the Muppet in person and taking him up on his generous offer to scan the car to determine if any fault codes were present.

No codes showed up during the scan and we both felt that the problem was "key related".

Having expressed our sincere gratitude to the Muppet for his efforts and on his advice we made our way to a key cutting store, opposite Penneys in Swords village.

The two gentlemen we dealt with in this store could not have been more helpful to us and rang ahead to a key cutting store in Northside Shopping Centre to see if they could help.

In Northside we met yet another really helpful man, a godson of one of the Swords men. He cut us a new key chipped key for 40 EUR and allowed us to test it in the car before taking any money.

My daughter and I would like to thank one and all, and in particular the Muppet, for the generosity of spirit shown to us.

We hope that we can return your generosity by providing help to others in trouble should the need arise in the future.

Regarding the car, everything seems just dandy right now. If it remains that way I will let you guys know towards the end of next week.

- Elder Lemon -

Thank you

I was happy to be able to help.

cheers

Given the mess that this country is in and all that's wrong with it, it's great to read a story like this where one person helps another out, and another cannot express their genuine and sincere appreciation enough. Fair play to yee both! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

If the problem does return give me a shout. The keys in that model don't really give any trouble. The main cause of an intermittent non start is either a problem with the engine ecu not getting immobiliser signal from the instrument or crank sensor which would be when warm and have a trouble code stored.

One of the keys fell apart at one stage, I supected the chip was damaged /lost at that stage. One key started it fine, the other key didn't, that led us to the conclusions we reached. There were no fault code and the engine management light went out when the car was started with the good key. It continously flashed when trying to start it with the damaged key.

A week and a bit on since the new key was bought and all is well - Thanks to all for your help and advice - Good luck in the times ahead - Elder Lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭tangoman

I have a 97 corsa cuts out after about 5 mins when it gets hot and wont start again until it cools down any idea what it could be

Advertisement