Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

My mate thought he lost his iPhone a few weeks back and bought a new one. however the old one has turned up since so he now has two and he's going to hang onto the older one as it has all his messages/apps etc.

If I buy the newer one off him and unlock it they should both work fine yeah? Like me unlocking the new one registered to his number won't cause the old one to cease functioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i just got an itouch off ebay, and its running 3.1.3.

i tried to jailbreak it via jailbreakme.com, but when i "slide" the screen goes black with the apple logo in the centre. whats gone wrong?

EDIT: im not an ipod/iphone user at all, so im only guessing when i think it crashes. (bought it for a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

as far as i know the "jailbreakme.com" has been shut out since the 4.02 update there is something in the works tho there always is:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Frisbee wrote: »
    My mate thought he lost his iPhone a few weeks back and bought a new one. however the old one has turned up since so he now has two and he's going to hang onto the older one as it has all his messages/apps etc.

If I buy the newer one off him and unlock it they should both work fine yeah? Like me unlocking the new one registered to his number won't cause the old one to cease functioning?
    did he buy the new one or claim it on insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hoins

Great tips, fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

guil wrote: »
    did he buy the new one or claim it on insurance

Just upgraded it, no insurance claim.

Would Vodafone know if you jailbroke your iPhone 4 if it had to be sent off for repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

if there worth their salt they will

even if you hide or delete your cydia apps and other stuff from view
    they will restore the phone back to original settings and maybe even update the firmware so back it up before ya leave it in for repair

Right so will do thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Bought it second hand and they had it upgraded for me :rolleyes: . Guess i'll have to wait!

I have a 2G working perfect so hard to justifiy the move to a 4G ... just out of interest is there any decent secondhand market for the 2G

Eddie

• Advertisement

Nasty...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I've a couple of Q's re the iphone4

If you buy a simlocked phone from a network, does it have to be activated first with a sim from that particular network?

If you buy one secondhand and its running 4.02, is it possible to flash 4.01 to the device and then jailbreak/unlock?

If unlocking via ultrasnow ect are there any network or hardware issues that cause problems or is it practically the same as simfree except you can update the software without the need to jailbreak/unlock again?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

^it be spam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

eddie wrote: »
    I have a 2G working perfect so hard to justifiy the move to a 4G ... just out of interest is there any decent secondhand market for the 2G

Eddie

If you're wondering if I bought a 2g and for how much ; I bought a 3gs. Think the 2g models are still in demand though. Might get a hundred quid or so for them . have a quick look on ebay to see how much they are going for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Went to jailbreakme.com on my brothers 8gb 3G but when i slide to Jailbreak nothing happens. When i refresh the page it just says "oops it looks like the link failed". Has this happened anyone else. Should i restore the Iphone first before i try jailbreakme.com? Ive never jailbroke a phone before so i don't have a clue what i'm doing. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

My phone died on me couple days ago, completely froze, no choice but to restore to factory settings and would only let me do a 4.0.2 upgrade on itunes.

its a 3gs on 4.0.2 and nowhere seems to have a jailbreak or unlock yet, is this right? any sign of a new fix coming?

i have no old bootroot to downgrade the software and im proper pissed off,
    any suggestions?

would the unlock shops have software to unlock for me even, have no prob paying for it, im pucked with no phone!

EDIT

http://areacellphone.com/2010/08/ios-accidental-upgrade-how-downgrade-jailbreak/

This saved me, downgraded to 4.0.1 and jailbreakme'd , was hairy for a while though.

Im pretty useless at this kind of stuff and was surprised i managed it and am very very grateful to the boys who make the fixes and ill even donate some moolah to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Got my iphone 4 yest and jailbreakme made it hang on the apple logo, so I had to update to 4.0.2. I guess it'll be another while before its breakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I have a 32GB 3Gs on 3.1.2 that I usually jailbreak with Blackra1n. It was orginallly an o2 phone and I have a Vodafone sim in it. As it was built after a certain week, the jailbreak has to be tethered so whenever the phone dies I have to jailbreak it at the computer every time to reboot it.

I have done this loads of times in the last 8 months that I've had the phone. Today I had a problem with my wifi so I reset the network settings as usual and everything was working fine again. I then noticed my phone was really slow, so I decided to turn it off and jailbreak it again. This time it won't go through the whole jailbreak and reboot. Its stuck on the screen that looks like a painting of a boy. After a while it just tries again on its own - but to no avail. On the computer it would seem everything is working as usual.

I tried turning it off, taking out the sim and trying it again. I've restarted my computer and tried it again. Any ideas on what I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS, new-ish model (about 2 months old) using jailbreakme.com

Im selling it soon and I chose the option to erase all content and settings. Naturally, thought it would delete everything but it just froze on the start up screen for about half an hour.

I put the phone into DFU mode and plugged it into iTunes and did a recovery.

Now however, I'm on 4.0.2 and I'm selling my phone this week over ebay, the sale has already gone though.

I need to at least downgrade to 4.0.1 and then re-jailbreak as the buyer only wants the phone jailbroken and unlocked with ultrasnow.

Any help is massively appreciated!

Unless you had Cydia save your SHSH files, the 4.0.1 you will not be able to. It depends on how you updated. Something tells me you probably don't have anything saved. You can only downgrade when Cydia has your SHSH on record. This is what it does when you press the 'make my life easier' button on the cydia homepage.

If you did save anything, use this: http://crenk.com/downgrade-ios-4-0-2-to-4-0-1-for-iphone-4-and-iphone-3gs/

Hoins wrote: »
    Would Vodafone know if you jailbroke your iPhone 4 if it had to be sent off for repairs?

Delete cydia and then no. It's also not illegal so who cares.

• Advertisement

eireal wrote: »
    I've a couple of Q's re the iphone4

If you buy a simlocked phone from a network, does it have to be activated first with a sim from that particular network?

If you buy one secondhand and its running 4.02, is it possible to flash 4.01 to the device and then jailbreak/unlock?

If unlocking via ultrasnow ect are there any network or hardware issues that cause problems or is it practically the same as simfree except you can update the software without the need to jailbreak/unlock again?

Yes to your first question.

Yes to the second question although you will have to have the SHSH files saved to Cyida, ideally the 4.0.1 files although 4.0 would be fine too. Anyway there will be a new jailbreak soon enough, maybe not for 4.0.2 but probably 4.1.

It's 99% the same as sim free but like anything, there could be problems. They are rare, just do it properly.

The part in bold is the major difference between sim free/someone paying a bill to somebody who has their phone unlocked. Before any update iTunes offers, just check if there is a jailbreak/unlock for that version, if not cancel it, if so, update. It's the people who just click ok and don't read things properly that invariable **** this up.

Unless you had Cydia save your SHSH files, the 4.0.1 you will not be able to. It depends on how you updated. Something tells me you probably don't have anything saved. You can only downgrade when Cydia has your SHSH on record. This is what it does when you press the 'make my life easier' button on the cydia homepage.

If you did save anything, use this: http://crenk.com/downgrade-ios-4-0-2-to-4-0-1-for-iphone-4-and-iphone-3gs/

I'm 90% sure I have pressed the "make my life easier" button. So do I need to now restore factory settings and then go down the route you just pposted?

golfman wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure I have pressed the "make my life easier" button. So do I need to now restore factory settings and then go down the route you just pposted?

http://areacellphone.com/2010/08/ios-accidental-upgrade-how-downgrade-jailbreak/

That should do the job for you. Just open Cyida and at the top of the page it should tell you what SHSH is on file and then follow the instructions above or from my previous post.

That should do the job for you. Just open Cyida and at the top of the page it should tell you what SHSH is on file and then follow the instructions above or from my previous post.

Thanks for that. Just out of interest, if I hadn't gone through with the Make my life easier route, what will happen to my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to restore my iphone 4 to factory settings and then jailbreak?. Do i need to download tinyumbrealla or does that matter as my device says i have my shsh 4.01 4.02 on file with cydia. Is it a case of just plug in the phone to itunes, let it do a full restore? I guess the phone will then have 4.0.2 as the system. what do i need to do to get it back to 4.01 - can i just point the browser to jailbreakme? Thks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 valmurph8038

Okay I just got my iphone 3gs from the states. Its locked to at&t and has firmware 4.0.2 on it. As I now understand things (after exhaustive trial and error and research online!) there is no way to jailbreak (and thus unlock) this phone yet?

I'm no techie so can anybody here confirm this? Sn0wbreeze 2.0 seems to be about to be released, but does anyone know definitively that it will be able to jailbreak a 4.0.2 3gs iphone? the coverage online is confusing. Redsn0w and Blackra1n also seem to be no help, but again I could be wrong.

Please help me guys, I'm at my wits end, been trying to figure this out all day!

p.s. At one point I broke down and rang one of those iphone "repair" outfits that have sprung up in town. They quoted 45 euro for an unlock! what a ripoff. I'm convinced they wouldn't be able to help me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Okay I just got my iphone 3gs from the states. Its locked to at&t and has firmware 4.0.2 on it. As I now understand things (after exhaustive trial and error and research online!) there is no way to jailbreak (and thus unlock) this phone yet?

p.s. At one point I broke down and rang one of those iphone "repair" outfits that have sprung up in town. They quoted 45 euro for an unlock! what a ripoff. I'm convinced they wouldn't be able to help me anyway.

Correct. Unless the previous owner completed a jailbreak and shsh backup within Cydia you will have a problem with the downgrade.

Also, I hope you got an AT&T sim with it, otherwise you'll have problems activating it. ;)

That said, you won't lose anything for trying, grab the IPSW file from iClarified. Modify your hosts file for gs.apple.com and at the end when you get the error try RecBoot, or irecovery to get out of recovery mode. It will either work, or you'll be forced back to 4.0.2. You will need that sim card to activate it. Or a phonebook SIM card. You'll only lose your time.

None of the repair outfits can fix this for you at the moment, they are chancing their arm. They use the same publically available tools.

Good luck

I'm no techie so can anybody here confirm this? Sn0wbreeze 2.0 seems to be about to be released, but does anyone know definitively that it will be able to jailbreak a 4.0.2 3gs iphone? the coverage online is confusing. Redsn0w and Blackra1n also seem to be no help, but again I could be wrong.

Please help me guys, I'm at my wits end, been trying to figure this out all day!

Exactly what shortt said. Just to reiterate, don't use repair shops and people like that in town. They are doing the exact same things that are available to any person and charging a premium, don't go near them.

I would also really hope you got an at&t sim with the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 valmurph8038

hshortt wrote: »
    That said, you won't lose anything for trying, grab the IPSW file from iClarified. Modify your hosts file for gs.apple.com and at the end when you get the error try RecBoot, or irecovery to get out of recovery mode. It will either work, or you'll be forced back to 4.0.2. You will need that sim card to activate it. Or a phonebook SIM card. You'll only lose your time.

Yeah I have an at&t sim so activation doesn't seem to be a problem.

I tried doing what you suggested. Got caught at the hosts file part - couldn't find any address for apple which I could change (in fact my hosts file is tiny and apparently contains no web addresses for some reason). I tried just putting in an address for apple (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com- which I found in a youtube video) but I then couldn't save my edits to the file (despite the fact that I'm an administrator on this computer).

What should I do next? I ran redsn0w before a few times and got stuck at the reboot stage (the phone just wouldn't turn back on, I had to put it into recovery mode through itunes to get it to respond). Should I do that again and when it conks out try irecovery?

Also anyone out there know if Sn0wbreeze 2.0 will be able to unlock a 3gs with 4.0.2 firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

this device has a pending tss request

this has been on for the last few weeks. when are they going to accept it or is it too late now?

Advertisement