Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Immigrant

• 15-04-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,962 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if The Immigrant (James Gray) is ever getting released?

Comments

It was released on Blu-Ray and DVD in France last month. I have it sitting here waiting to be watched alongside Blood Ties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if The Immigrant (James Gray) is ever getting released?

It was released as Darko said in France a few months ago on DVD and is widely able to see (that's all I say). Harvey Weinstein is going to give it a limited release in May in the States in art house cinemas and more then likely give it a DVD , as the film got a bit of a bashing at Cannes which is a bit of a disappointment seen as the movie that must have been spent on this film. Don't be surprised if it goes straight to DVD here or is given a small release in Cineworld for a week.

Is it a lost classic? Not really to be fair, Joaquin Phoenix is awesome as usual and is the main reason to watch it, in the hands of a less talented actor the character of Bruno Weiss could have been a horrible character but Phoenix actually makes you care for him. Marion Cotillard gives a good performance, the camera work and set design is amazing. But the script is clichéd and it feels like a bit of a chore to watch some of it. But it's worth a watch. But James Gray's best film is still Two Lovers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,962 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looper007 wrote: »

Is it a lost classic? Not really to be fair, Joaquin Phoenix is awesome as usual and is the main reason to watch it, in the hands of a less talented actor the character of Bruno Weiss could have been a horrible character but Phoenix actually makes you care for him. Marion Cotillard gives a good performance, the camera work and set design is amazing. But the script is clichéd and it feels like a bit of a chore to watch some of it. But it's worth a watch.

I agree with your analysis 100%.

The film would have been a lot better with a more interesting central character ,whilst Cotillard's acting was good ,her character was boring and too simplistic.

Advertisement