Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cool irish wods?

Options
  • 15-03-2014 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone I'm looking for some cool Irish words to use as the name of a product that I'm coming up with. The product is a premium Irish vodka so something that sounds cool and sophisticated with some sort of Irish historical context would be great and I promise lots of free vodka for whoever has the best idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Uisce beatha (water of life) is the Irish word for whiskey, and I'm surprised to read that the English word whiskey came from the Irish rather than the other way around. These days, fuisce is most often used in Irish for whiskey.

It might be an idea to try and work on the uisce beatha version, and I think that post # 25 in the AfterHours thread from poster Rayne Wooney is a great suggestion, Uisce na bhFiann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Ériu
    (the goddess which Ireland/Éire is named after)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Mún Tairbh has a nice ring to it.... Bulls Píss

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

downey502 wrote: »
    Hey everyone I'm looking for some cool Irish words to use as the name of a product that I'm coming up with. The product is a premium Irish vodka so something that sounds cool and sophisticated with some sort of Irish historical context would be great and I promise lots of free vodka for whoever has the best idea.

Boru vodka got in there before you.
    Fodhla or Banba vodka?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Lír as in the king. You could have a swan as the emblem

Also a swan is a symbol for purity, which would be nice symbolism for a clear spirit like vodka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Krusader wrote: »
    Lír as in the king. You could have a swan as the emblem

Nice one Krusader but it is Lir with no fada, even though you do hear it being pronounced (wrongly) as though it had a fada as "leer".

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lir doesn't make any sense on its own. It's the genitive form of Lear, the given name of the man from the legend known as "Clann Lir".

"Lir" as it is means "lyre", which wouldn't make much sense as a name for a drink. Also, I'm pretty sure others have used "Lir" as a consumable product name before, be it drink or whatever but there is likely to be trademark issues.

OP, given that "vodka" is derived from the Russian for water, "vody/a" (and, I think, means "water of life" much like "uisce beatha"), could you work from there?

Poitín is also the Irish version of vodka but you probably don't want to market your product as that even though there might be regulations requiring you to do so.

Advertisement