Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the strong smell from lit stove?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my brother installed a small stove in my house about 2 years ago. Recently, I haven't been living in the house and the last time I lit the stove was at Christmas. I lit it today and the smell from it is unbearable, very strong chemical smell. I put the usual logs into it. What would the smell be? I'm just worried because I'm pregnant at the minute and I can't sit in the room with the stove lit as the smell is so strong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

maybe the outside surface and/or top of the stove was cleaned with a household cleaning product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

If you got the stove hot you may be burning the creosote that builds up on the flue. It is a tarry substance and is an acrid smell for sure. Needs to be burnt off and then do a really hot burn regularly to keep it clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

freddyuk wrote: »
    If you got the stove hot you may be burning the creosote that builds up on the flue. It is a tarry substance and is an acrid smell for sure. Needs to be burnt off and then do a really hot burn regularly to keep it clear.

Thanks for the replies. This sounds about right. Will have to get something sorted about lighting the stove more often. Is it dangerous to breathe in the creosote fumes? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I know that in my mothers place, every now and again she cleans the thing with whatever is laying around the house. It looks great, but when its lit. Abandon house. The stink is unreal.

Advertisement