Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray airshow 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

Eh.....Stovepipe,

The Red Arrows in 2005 operated from Dublin Airport:o

The Red Arrows appearances from 2000-2006 at Galway operated from Shannon:o

Up to the organisers to provide transport, meals and accommodation:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    I'm perfectly aware that they operated from civil airports but if you read my post it says "as a default". That's what my former Air Corps Boss told me, as part of the handling staff for two big shows in Baldonnel. When it came to the RAF, Red Arrows included, especially if anything went wrong, the default location was Baldonnel, most especially if there was a security issue. Some bigger or faster aircraft could not use Baldonnel because of limited runway length so their default was Dublin or Shannon. As for organisers, you'd be surprised how often the basics get forgotten in the rush, such as the famous lack of liquid oxygen for the visiting fighters at not one but two Baldonnel airshows. Bit like swans, really. Nice and smooth on top with frantic pedalling underneath;)

regards
    Stovepipe

The Dublin / Shannon preference is an operational one as to do with runway length at Baldonnel ( excessive braking )

Just to clarify,
    The organiser(s) invite participation from foreign Air Forces and if successful provide transport, meals, accommodation and all the ground support requirement that is needed. The DAA have been very proactive in this regard with Shannon and Dublin. All of this is outlined in the T&C's of participation to support the airshow if it is not arranged they wont show. It wasn't just oxygen that was forgotten at Baldonnel in the past:o

Maybe that is the reason for operating out of Dublin & Shannon as the primary airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Stovepipe wrote: »

It is an ever abiding constant of Irish airshows that they operate on hasty promises, goodwill, old pals act, prayer, faith, drink, telephones melting from overuse and a smidgen of actual professionalism. They have as much smoke and mirrors as a Las Vegas magic act and the amazing thing is that, quite often, they work, or at least, the public face does.

regards
    Stovepipe

That, my friend, is deeply insulting to the organisers of many airshows in this country over the years.

The vast majority of who volunteer their own free time to do so.

Its also a load of bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

EIDW wrote: »
    The Bray Air Spectacular 2012 will be held on Sunday 22nd July, start time is 3.30pm.
    No update on what's attending

Very disappointing event going by previous years, spectacular indeed :cool:

They should get the guys from Valley to fly across the water for an hour or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

I lived up to recently in the UK and was involved in several airshows over the last 10 years in England.
    Edward you are correct in what you say regarding inviting military acts as any cost falls to the organiser as does the invitation to attend.
    With all the proposed defence cutbacks it will be harder to attract overseas military acts in the future.

I see RAF Tucano have released display dates also!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/displayinfo/displaycalendar.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭airbusa320

RAF Tucano in sunderland that day.
    I cant see Bray getting to much military this year again the best we can hope for is some U.K display teams.
    As good as the blades are it would be nice to see the gnat jet team or even the Aerostars this jear or even a Spitfire would be nice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@lapin,
    Having been behind the scenes on three of the big ones, I assure you that it's less of an insult and closer to fact. Failure to communicate at all levels is the big constant failure and it always comes up in the debriefs afterwards. Some of the shows were/are well run and go near enough to plan and have good contingency planning for the big and the small crises but others are a fumble from day 1 and only succeed by accident. I remember one show that had it's organising committee picked out of a select bunch of old pals, who, individually were nice competent guys but collectively couldn't manage a wheelbarrow. My personal preference is for small shows where you don't have to lose sleep worrying about whether X has enough portapotties on hand or Y has enough car park attendants.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Agree with Stovepipe. This is Ireland after all. Seen it first hand myself.

• Advertisement

Just found out the Red Arrows will be at Salthill this year during the Volvo Ocean race finish. Also, intriguingly there is mention of another 'military aerobatic team' as yet unnamed. Frecce Tricolori? Patroulle de France?

Most interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I hear that the Red Arrows are not looking good this year for a full season, they are down to seven aircraft and with the loss of the pilot last week and the tragic events of last year they are going to be starting the season later than planned, that would tie up with the cancel for the Volvo race. Shame but understandable in the circumstances. Check out their website it has not been updated since last year this never happened before they were always posting news etc on a weekly basis.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/displaydates.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Their page here says that they will be operating with a 7 ship format this year but nothing about reducing the number of events.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=A5F14AB0-5056-A318-A8DF51286FC5024E

They arrived at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus yesterday for their training. I would imagine the main reason for them cancelling an appearance at VOR would be that RIAT 2012 is on that weekend and they are confirmed for there.

Looks like most of the U.K airshows got there RAF assets this week and still not a word from Bray of what will be attending this year looks like Portrush is getting the Typhoon

No surprise in that....and Portrush is probably the same age as Bray now!

I think the Blades will be the only UK act as per previous years...zzzzzzz

i think bray needs to diversify into maybe vintage aircraft as part of the show. relying on foreign military acts wont grow the show. 2012 is the seventh year of the show and it should establish itself as the only show now in ireland.

while the blades are an excellent team they are not the red arrows and maybe the organisers need to wake up to this. plenty more civil teams out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭balkanhawk

Fast jets and Bray head do not mix!! It is simple really. No matter how much people whinge about the the organisers, this is the main issue and will be into the future (unless we can see the hill to the IMF/EU!).

Im sure the organisers do the best they can with the location. 80,000 people attended the 2011 airshow, not bad when you consider Salthill attracted just north of 100,000. I had a great day lazying around on the side of the headland and there is plenty to do on the seafront itself.

Instead of whinging about what isn't going to be there because of the huge rock why not try and petition the appropriate authorities to setup a new show at a location where a full lineup can be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Sure they haven't even updated the website, apart from changing the date for this year. Plane Jane is right diversification is the key to this show. You could easily have the Hawk display team, within the location. I wonder how feasible it would be to have a show at one of the regional airports? Maybe that is the way forward.

I wonder how feasible it would be to have a show at one of the regional airports?
    Galway, the only sound out there these days is wind whistling around the empty baggage trolleys. Maybe the new owner will do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Maybe the EIAB airshows of old could be brought back!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Edward am I missing something in your last post?? Frecce Tricolori?

I must be to ?The closest well get to them is when they display at the waddington airshow that has a great line up this year so far.

Sorry, just a link to their display season this year.

No reds for Salthill this year.
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/displaydates.cfm

At RIAT and the english gran prix.:(

2 dates in Valley and Rhyl on the Friday and day before Bray....wonder were they invited to attend this year cos that may have worked!

July

20 - ISP RAF Valley - Anglesey, Wales

21 - Rhyl Air Show - Wales

In relation to Salthill I found this amazing list of aircraft that they had display there over the years. Not listed there is the RAF Tornado and Harrier there are more than likely others that I can remember.

Link: http://www.salthillairshow.com/airshow_displays.html

Dont forget.....B1B, RAF Merlin, Jaguar.

Teams - The Blades, Thunderbirds

• Advertisement

Dont forget.....B1B, RAF Merlin, Jaguar.

Teams - The Blades, Thunderbirds

God but they had some list of aircraft over the years we were spoiled for choice there. The B1B was unreal I remember all the alarms in cars and houses going off on the final pass. :D

Advertisement