Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greencard info...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hey guys - here's a quick update on this for you. By the way Ruu I'll be applying to the Australian Consultate, not the US guys.

Basically, I typed up and printed a letter to the local Superintendent of my home-town garda station explaining my plans and that I needed a certificate of character. I arrived at the station, in person, with the originals of my passport, driver's licence and birth certificate and photocopies of each document.

I had to spend a long time talking to the desk clerk guy - he was a very young garda, and started by telling me what I needed, as opposed to listening to me: "You'll need a number of certificates of character if you're going to work with children". Eh, hello? Children? Do you know me?

Anyway - I literally spent about half an hour at the station with the chap, he in and out of the back room to ask questions like a yoyo. He stamped and signed all the copies of my documentation, and accepted them together with my letter. He logged my application in the desk incident book - or whatever the large book is on garda station desks that notes the fact that you've been in.

To be honest I had to be really patient with him - he tried to send me to the Phoenix park, told me I was wrong twice, so on - but eventually I left thinking "right I've done all I can".

That was on 16th Feb.

...my certificate of character arrived in the post on 27th Feb. It isn't all bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

at last, glad you got it sorted out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i second that.Glad it came afterall.

Only 7 days left for myself before i move to the states:D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I'm posting this to add links to previous discussions on Green Cards etc. I'm sure a lot of us get tired of posting the same information, and digging up the same archives, every time someone asks similar questions.

Previous threads on Green Cards etc:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304622

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=192140

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869825

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Does anyone know when the closing date is for the next lottery and when the results come out?

and by the way whats the conclusion of this thread-which site is recommended to use?please post link nice one

• Advertisement

PROCEDURES FOR SUBMITTING AN ENTRY TO DV-2007

* The Department of State will only accept completed Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Forms submitted electronically at www.dvlottery.state.gov during the registration period beginning at 12:00 pm EST (GMT-5) on October 5, 200 5 and ending at 12:00 pm EST (GMT-5) on December 4, 2005.

I guess they will be announcing the next lottery sometime in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Anyone get theirs yet? Alas I fear I won't be one of the lucky ones this year as time is running out for 2007...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

If one was to win in this lottery as a single person, would they be able to marry someone (irish) soon after and both work over there?

SELECTION OF APPLICANTS

Applicants will be selected at random by computer from among all qualified entries. Those selected will be notified by mail between May and July 2006 and will be provided further instructions, including information on fees connected with immigration to the U.S. Persons not selected will NOT receive any notification. U.S. embassies and consulates will not be able to provide a list of successful applicants. Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 of successful applicants may also apply for visas to accompany or follow to join the principal applicant. DV-2007 visas will be issued between October 1, 2006 and September 30, 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stronger

Anyone know if letters have been sent out to successful Irish applicants yet? I.e. if I haven’t got one at this stage should I stop hoping and waiting on the postie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭underworld

Anyone any idea when the next application date is??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

As someone who has just gone through the process I can only stress the importance of your paperwork. Make sure everything is perfect. I spent five month's trotting up and down to Dublin from Limerick before I finally had everything they wanted. I am married to an American (that does not make it any easier) so the process my be slightly different.

And dont forget it does cost a bit, those of you who have received your letters may know that your medical costs over 300E, the initial application was 135E could be more now and the actual card was another 140E or so. If any of you are having problems getting the correct size photo's for your Visa the pharmacy across the road from the Embassy do the correct photo's. You would not believe the amount of pharmacy's that gave me the wrong size photo's even though I gave them the measurements supplied by the Embassy.

Good luck to all of you. It's not easy but it's worth it.

Congrats Abbey Lass, hope you are enjoying your life in the US. CHECK, CHECK and check again is the word of the day when it comes to the forms. I went through the exact same thing as you, Abbey Lass. I moved to Illinois in April '05 and it was expensive. :)The pharmacy a few minutes walk from the US Embassy in Ballsbridge do the proper sized photos for anyone worried about getting the wrong size, they are used to people coming in for that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

Ruu wrote:
    Congrats Abbey Lass, hope you are enjoying your life in the US. CHECK, CHECK and check again is the word of the day when it comes to the forms. I went through the exact same thing as you, Abbey Lass. I moved to Illinois in April '05 and it was expensive. :)The pharmacy a few minutes walk from the US Embassy in Ballsbridge do the proper sized photos for anyone worried about getting the wrong size, they are used to people coming in for that sort of thing.

Thanks Ruu. Yes I am totally settled in, I live in the country here in VA, which is a big change to this city girl but I'm loving it.

Indeed, I can't get used to the IL weather (too humid!) and how flat it is here, will probably have to take a trip back home soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Hi. I know this is a shot in the dark but, does anybody know of an easier way of obtaining a work permit, besides applying through visa the diversity program? How about the posibility of studying in the US?

I think the only visa for studying in the US is the J1, I'm not 100% though and you have to be already enrolled in college in Ireland. Perhaps there is an exchange program, again not entirely sure.

How long does the visa diversity program application usually take? And when do applications for 2008 begin?

Thanx.

Well the requirements for the 2008 lottery have not been announced yet but should be shortly. Normally you send in your application by October I think, then if you are one of those picked then you will be notified the following Summer, then there are a few things to go through after that, so it could take some time to process. :( Actually I came across this site regarding studying in the US, Education USA.

Thanx Ruu. So it looks like around a year or so. Studying might be an option for me, if I could find a college cheap enough!

• Advertisement

No prob, it is a very lengthy and costly procedure. If you haven't been to the US before, you could always go over for a month or two and see what its like to live. Best of luck anyway.

Ruu wrote:
    No prob, it is a very lengthy and costly procedure. If you haven't been to the US before, you could always go over for a month or two and see what its like to live. Best of luck anyway.

I've just done that. I'm 99.9% certain I want to live there. Just trying to figure out the best way of going about it.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2008 lottery visa are out???

Should be anytime now, they normally come out this time of year.

How will i know or where will i hear of it...website???

Yeah, keep an eye on the government website.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

For those looking for work in the states, I just heard yesterday that Motorola (and probably a lot of other large companies) are no longer using recruiters or job sites like monster.com for recruiting. Presumably they were just getting absolutely spammed with resumes / CVs.

Currently the only way you can apply for a job with Motorola is via their web page (www.motorolacareers.com). I heard this from a manager at Motorola who is currently trying to recruit people and told me this is the only way he can get his hands on a resume. Even if someone he knows literally hands him one, they have to go through the web process before he can even schedule an interview.

Like I said, I would guess that a lot of other large companies are going to go this route, as they get completely flooded with resumes otherwise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ has been open for a week :)

I had my greencard interview last week, It lasted only 10-15 mins and i was approved on the spot thank god. I will get my greenacrd in the next 2 weeks. The only problem is that i have to use my mother in law as a cosponsor as they wouldnt accept my wifes income as it had to be earned on US soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

Just posting a question on behalf of my cousin.

She has been approved for a Green Card though the lottery, been through the interiew etc and has the temp stamp on her passport. What are the next stages and what are the rules governing the green card validity?

- I assume she has to travel to the states within the next 4 months, give an address there to which the card will be mailed. I understand this can be a long wait?
    - Can she then return home and then go back to the states within 6 months to keep the card valid? Have the rules changed? How long can she boe out of the states and still keep the card valid?

Thanks.

Advertisement