Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English language jobs in Paris

• 19-03-2014 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Worth starting a new thread? Anyone working in Paris in English language jobs, or jobs where you would be using English?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from old 'Babysitting in Paris' thread.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cheers mod. Would be interested in hearing about people in Paris in professional jobs? Is it doing ok relative to the rest of France?
    I know a lot of Irish seem to head to London, but is Paris also worth considering as a city of comparable size?
    Obviously one would want to speak French to get by. (which I do)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

I lucked out.
    I have poor french (can handle language I'm used to but I'm lost if there is a group of people talking) and I have a Mon-Fri job (all through french) If you want to come over, do but be prepared to do a minimum wage job for a while. I was in an Irish bar for a year and a half but I am not fluent in French so it may be easier for you.

Well, I'd say once you get up to speed with the lingo, the rest might fall into place...
    I'd be hoping to try and secure something from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Hey, I've been living in Paris since November working as a developer in a start up. Spoke reasonable French before coming here, but that wasn't a requirement. There seems to be lots going here in terms of work in many areas. What do you work as? Any questions I'll try to answer them!

• Advertisement

Hi Elvis_Presley

I have worked as a technical writer and have been in online marketing (PPC) for the last 6 to 7 years. I hate doing PPC thought, and want to change.

Just coming to the end of a journalism masters, so if I can combine what I have been doing with the journalism stuff, I might be on to something. I speak French and Italian.

I'm looking at Ireland, the UK, and continental Europe. I'd consider Paris as much as London to be honest, but from what I can gather, the economy isn't going too well in France at the moment?

But, maybe Paris is a bit like London, in that it is pretty much its own economy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

seachto7 wrote: »

But, maybe Paris is a bit like London, in that it is pretty much its own economy?

Pretty much so though perhaps not as 'vibrant' and the wages can be a lot lower depending on the type of work.

English is a much sought-after skill in France and I was employed there just because I spoke English and with almost zero French. The idea being that I'd pick the French up as I worked there. Any multinational company is going to need English speakers. What sector were you looking at ?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I will be graduating with a journalism masters, but realise how difficult it is to get a job as a traditional journalist.
    I was hoping to combine my online skills with my newly acquired writing skills and see where that takes me.

Technical writing is an area I could consider again, but I'd like to explore other options. I suppose there is content writing, PR, etc

I also speak "d'eyetalan". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

I'd agree on the wages, I reckon they would be lower than in London, although I've never lived there, just anecdotally. There is definitely plenty of work here and in general its a good place to live.

I have been twice, but that was in 1997/1998. I really need a reccie trip. For what I do, there seems to plenty advertised in London. I just don't see the same amount advertised in Paris. Not to say it's not there, but I could also be looking in the wrong places.

London, in theory, seems the likeliest place I'll end up, but I thought: "Why not consider Paris, a similar city to London?"

But maybe London might be a good start, and use it as a springboard to la France.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement