Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pitching

• 11-10-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

ok i have been told by a member on this site that my heating is pitching. can someone tell me what this is?

the problem with my heat is, wen i turn on the heat it will work on a couple of rads, then when i bleed 1 of the radiators, water started comein out the overflow pipe to the back garden.

blackish water started to come out of the radiator when i bled it, and alot of the radiators where making a loud cracking noise which was heard all over the house. when i went out to the boiler, the thermostat read 100degrees.
    now i know it supposed to be 20-40degrees so i know something is wrong here.

i have always had problems with certain radiators not working and that crackling noise.

what should i do?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

timex711 wrote: »
    ok i have been told by a member on this site that my heating is pitching. can someone tell me what this is?

the problem with my heat is, wen i turn on the heat it will work on a couple of rads, then when i bleed 1 of the radiators, water started comein out the overflow pipe to the back garden.

blackish water started to come out of the radiator when i bled it, and alot of the radiators where making a loud cracking noise which was heard all over the house. when i went out to the boiler, the thermostat read 100degrees.
    now i know it supposed to be 20-40degrees so i know something is wrong here.

i have always had problems with certain radiators not working and that crackling noise.

what should i do?

thanks
    I told you its pitching ,pitching is when there is too much of a pressure differential between cold feed and vent and results in the circulating pump , pumping water up the vent into the tank which is a very bad thing for your system. i told you get a plumber ,
    In all likelyhood one of the following actions are likely
    1. Some repiping of the , vent and cold feed to the expansion tank.
    2. possibility of pump location being changed.

This isnt a DIY job to fix it , and without seeing the layout of the system and the pipework its impossible to tell you exactly what needs to be done via the net.
    The 2 answers i said above are the likely avenues i would explore in your situation .

Because your system is pitching thats a good contributary factor to your system not working correctly .
    Get someone in but try and get refrences first , im sure a regular on this site would oblige you with a refrence if you tell us your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

im from the dublin/meath area, is this a costly job and could somebody roughly estimate the price for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I have to agree with outkast ire, he has hit the nail on the head you need a plumber to look at it.

you could also have the system sealed also it eliminate the pitching providing that you dont have a back boiler..

Its a hard one to quote because a plumber would need to have a look at it to see exactly whats going on. It could be from a couple of hundred quid to a couple of alot more quid!!! but one thing is for sure that pitching is not good for a heating system as it introduces oxygen in to the system and in the long run radiators will block up the so will your boiler.

Get a plumber out ASAP it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

well i have the same problem and the way i am going to fix it is to move f&e tank to the higher point in the attic and run the expansion up to the ridge and eblow into tank

question is this right or wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

ltz400 wrote: »
    well i have the same problem and the way i am going to fix it is to move f&e tank to the higher point in the attic and run the expansion up to the ridge and eblow into tank

question is this right or wrong

It will depend if height of the tank is the reason that it is pitching, then yes, if not the reason then it will not make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

pitching not a problem as i said in my last post it did fix now there no noise in the heating and plus loads of heat in rads plus not as hard on fuel in the range so i guesing that return temp in range was very low ie was cooling the boiler and then more fuel needed happy out:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Darwin was right after all. Every now and then there are little clues.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement