Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated look for the site (part2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

N64 wrote: »
    Its very bad practice if a user has to change a setting to get the site looking as it should and even then I still don't like the new design. I'm reverting back to the old beta skin.

The question here is how do you decide what the site "should" look like? Especially when you're dealing with a broad range of demographics and experience levels. A new user will find a condensed layout overwhelming, and experienced one will complain that it wastes space.

Even google, with their hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of engineers, can't decide what gmail "should" look like and offer settings, themes and labs to allow people to change it's behaviour to suit them.

There simply isn't an objectively definable perfect design. All you can have is good defaults and options to customise. We'll be monitoring how good our defaults are by looking at what people switch to over time but ultimately, without huge testing resources, the initial settings are a semi-informed stab in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Rovi wrote: »
    Excellent job on the latest version of the skin, particularly the 'cozy mode' and the 'new posts' link!

A little something I've noticed right from the beginning with the new skin:
    Type: Design
    Issue: My avatar (a Norway Maple leaf, if anyone's interested) has a faint square outline around it. I went to a fair bit of trouble to create a transparent area around the leaf image, so that it would appear the same on all the skins :D
    See screengrab image below.
    It'd be nice if the square outline could be done away with at some stage, no biggie if it can't though. :)
    Browser & OS: Chrome 20.0.1132.57 m; Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Screen Resolution: Not applicable

212784.jpg

That box around the image in the header is a container and there for images like that, or any profile images that are displayed there. There's no container round the profile pic in threaded view though.

I'll have a look into it and see if it can be tweaked for you though!

T! :)

float.07 wrote: »
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]omg, wow... an amazing difference... looks great, well done.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Feedback:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> Update the icons such as blue_star_*.gif,user_offline.gif,etc.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> More access to around the forum.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> More modern, (like IPB)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> etc..[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> Submit button on left side / Preview button on right side. (Switch them over)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An example, also please update the icons in the postbit. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Such as:[/font]
    im_icq.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]icq_protocol.png
    im_yahoo.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]yahoo.png
    im_msn.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]messenger.png
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]etc..[/font]
    yellow_star_1.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> [/font]031.png
    user_online.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]status_online.png
    user_offline.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]user_silhouette.png
    report.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]dialog-warning.png

Re: switching the buttons over, the were positioned like this to bring them up to standard with how programs / websites function in 2012. The primary action is on the right and has a more prominent colour.
    The exception to this rule is the reply / follow buttons at the top and bottom of a thread.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The floating header isn't floating with me even though I have it checked (I've unticked and treticked three times, logged in and out etc).

Just me or...?

What are the details of your system (Browser and version number, OS, Resolution etc..)

Cheers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A suggestion: is it easy/possible to provide the relevant information so that people who are so-minded could design their own themes? I'm thinking something like a CSS standard for the site, and the list of styles you'd need to override.

I appreciate that this might not be way Boards wants to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

TrueDub wrote: »
    A suggestion: is it easy/possible to provide the relevant information so that people who are so-minded could design their own themes? I'm thinking something like a CSS standard for the site, and the list of styles you'd need to override.

I appreciate that this might not be way Boards wants to go.

It's something we've discussed alright. Once we have the technology for the grey and black skins fully fleshed out we'll be able to decide if and how we open this up to the community.

Initial signs are that this is a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What are the details of your system (Browser and version number, OS, Resolution etc..)

Cheers.

Work laptop (1366 x 768) and IE8.

All works fine on my iPad, personal laptop etc, just not that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Work laptop (1366 x 768) and IE8.

All works fine on my iPad, personal laptop etc, just not that one.

Windows 7 or XP? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I don't seem to have any real problems as yet. So well done.

Might I ask why you changed it? Was it just intended to 'freshen' up the site or was there a particular reason? Only I do like the old style more than the new one (I will get used to it) But .....

Rubecula wrote: »
    I don't seem to have any real problems as yet. So well done.

Might I ask why you changed it? Was it just intended to 'freshen' up the site or was there a particular reason? Only I do like the old style more than the new one (I will get used to it) But .....

I answered this question for you in the last feedback thread but I guess you missed it. Here is a link to have a read of it :)

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Is there a bug list anywhere with status updates?

also its quite buggy on ipads, the dowpdown menus seem to pop up whenever they feel like it!

Is there a bug list anywhere with status updates?

also its quite buggy on ipads, the dowpdown menus seem to pop up whenever they feel like it!

I will edit the first post with known bugs

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I turned cozy mode on and then off again yet it hasn't changed back to the non-cozy layout.

It's definitely off, and the layout is fine when I use other machines, but on the computer I turned it on and off on I'm stuck on cozy mode.

Have deleted temp internet files, cleared cache and doing a ctrl+f5.

awec wrote: »
    I turned cozy mode on and then off again yet it hasn't changed back to the non-cozy layout.

It's definitely off, and the layout is fine when I use other machines, but on the computer I turned it on and off on I'm stuck on cozy mode.

Have deleted temp internet files, cleared cache and doing a ctrl+f5.

Log out and back in. Let us know if that resolves it. If it doesn't give us the browser, browser version, OS & OS version :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Thanks,

it'll make it much easier to track and should hopefully help reduce the amount of replica complaints for you guys. Easier for people to see whats going on because there's bound to be a load of pages in response and everyone (me :D) might not read every page

cheers

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Log out and back in. Let us know if that resolves it. If it doesn't give us the browser, browser version, OS & OS version :)

Danny
    IE9, win 7. x64

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Windows 7 or XP? :)

Vista

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The Tech main menu seems to have disappeared on my system?
    The forums are there because I can still access them via "My Forums" but I don't see Tech any more in my top menu.

Colin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

When I refresh when I am at the bottom of a page and I have a comment on that page it goes to my last comment and not where I was when I refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I should have mentioned that I am running w7, latest stable build of firefox and my monitor is 1920x1080p. Seems like there is so much wasted space without that stretch option on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiann

It's not easy running an excellent board such as this, and I personally say thanks for a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe dealt with already but when you click on boards.ie from the top left of menu bar you no longer get the latest posts list.
    still get this when clicking on "my forums", how do you get the list latest posts without going via the my forums link?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Where can I find the list of registered users, subscribers etc on the new look skin? :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

croo wrote: »
    The Tech main menu seems to have disappeared on my system?
    The forums are there because I can still access them via "My Forums" but I don't see Tech any more in my top menu.

Colin

I found the TECH menu!
    It has wrapped from the top menu to appear just above the boards.ie logo.

There is plenty of room on my screen for it so I assume something in the new skin is making it wrap.

I never mentioned my setup:
    my screen resolution is 1920x1080 on windows 7 [sssh don't tell anyone!!! since I moderate open source :)] - using firefox 13.01

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Maybe dealt with already but when you click on boards.ie from the top left of menu bar you no longer get the latest posts list.
    still get this when clicking on "my forums", how do you get the list latest posts without going via the my forums link?
    Click the big boards.ie logo directly under the boards.ie menu bar item? ;)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Posy wrote: »
    Where can I find the list of registered users, subscribers etc on the new look skin? :o

You don't find the direct links anymore. Best to bookmark

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/memberlist.php

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php

Has the fix for long usernames (I'm looking at you whoopsadaisydoodles) been rolled back? They were displaying properly last night, but have gone back to extending the page to the right today

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Hi, my notifications (next to my username at the top of the page) take ages, somestimes a few hours, to reset to 0 even when I've checked all of them.

28064212 wrote: »
    Has the fix for long usernames (I'm looking at you whoopsadaisydoodles) been rolled back? They were displaying properly last night, but have gone back to extending the page to the right today

whoopsadaisydoodles received a name change yesterday to "whoopsadaisy doodles". She hated it, so I rolled that back this morning. The actual fix for wrapping long usernames hasn't been deployed yet, it'll be taken care of this afternoon.

Danny

• Advertisement

whoopsadaisydoodles received a name change yesterday to "whoopsadaisy doodles". She hated it, so I rolled that back this morning. The actual fix for wrapping long usernames hasn't been deployed yet, it'll be taken care of this afternoon.

Danny
    :pac: That's cheating!

Advertisement