Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Extra gets Ripped out of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Pointing this out so prominently to the world and promoting yourself is a great way to piss off the production guys, and not get used again. And I say this as an extra that should be appearing in a couple of upcoming episodes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pointing this out so prominently to the world and promoting yourself is a great way to piss off the production guys

Why?:confused:

Or was that just the set up to the joke in the next sentence?

Gbear wrote: »
    Why?:confused:

Or was that just the set up to the joke in the next sentence?

Not really. Strictly speaking, extras are not allowed to discuss their involvement in the show on social media. Presumably production doesn't want plot details/costume or set photos getting out in advance (Game of Thrones being a unique enough case that the plot is widely available anyway). It's in the contract, and it's written in such a way to also cover after the thing has aired. Basically threatens that HBO could sue if you do. Probably boilerplate.

Anyway, that's the official line, but in my experience, posting screenshots after it's aired to facebook and stuff like that is tolerated.

I don't think he'll get sued, but I'd be amazed if he's used again. Extras are supposed to be basically invisible - expensive coat hangers, and I saw a case one day where an extra was removed from a shoot (and I never saw him on future shoots) because one of the assistant directors recognised him as an extra that was killed previously - the guy was pretty distinctive looking. Bearing in mind that extras get re-used all the time, including being killed multiple times as different characters. But that only works when you're not recognisable.

The guy in the reddit thread has broken the house rules strictly speaking, and made himself prominently known to a substantial audience. I don't know the guy personally, but I was able to figure out his name quickly which anyone actually in production would be able to do very easily, and if I was casting next season, I'd be skipping him.

Of course I could be wrong, maybe they won't care, but I think he's taking a big risk. Extras get warned about this kind of stuff often :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think he'll get sued, but I'd be amazed if he's used again. Extras are supposed to be basically invisible - expensive coat hangers, and I saw a case one day where an extra was removed from a shoot (and I never saw him on future shoots) because one of the assistant directors recognised him as an extra that was killed previously - the guy was pretty distinctive looking. Bearing in mind that extras get re-used all the time, including being killed multiple times as different characters. But that only works when you're not recognisable.

Actually that makes a lot of sense.

I suppose it depends what kind of extra they are (in a dark battle scene like Blackwater it wouldn't make a difference) but I doubt the casting team could be arsed getting into that kind of minutia.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I do agree with Project.

You will get a season out of it but you will not get two seasons out of it.

And saying lets just say you have been in a series in ireland and you want to say do a series in northern ireland that might affect your chances.

Production assistants can me narky or nice.

they all know each other and they might recognize you from another show and they working on this show your applying for.

Best of luck to anyone that gets Game Of Thrones Season 5 Extra Casting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I don't think he'll get sued, but I'd be amazed if he's used again. Extras are supposed to be basically invisible - expensive coat hangers,
    Sweet land of liberty..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Pointing this out so prominently to the world and promoting yourself is a great way to piss off the production guys, and not get used again. And I say this as an extra that should be appearing in a couple of upcoming episodes :pac:

Really? We had extras from "The Tudors" posting on our special wiki forum and giving us "live reports" from the set and no one bothered them about it. Posted photos of the costumes, set and pics of them with the proper actors. The lot. We were an "official" forum, so maybe that had something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fella I was at school with was featured prominently during the purple wedding scene, with a few minutes of screen time don't see him online bumming about it, he's not an actor by trade either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

calex71 wrote: »
    Fella I was at school with was featured prominently during the purple wedding scene, with a few minutes of screen time don't see him online bumming about it, he's not an actor by trade either.
    If I was featured on GoT from even a second I would have everybody told! You wouldn't be able to shut me up about it :o Even just the thought of being an extra is exciting to me :D

Really? We had extras from "The Tudors" posting on our special wiki forum and giving us "live reports" from the set and no one bothered them about it. Posted photos of the costumes, set and pics of them with the proper actors. The lot. We were an "official" forum, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Don't know what to tell you really, I only know what the score is with Game of Thrones; it is strictly in our contracts, and we're frequently reminded that this sort of thing is not on. Behind the scenes/pre release/leak stuff in particular.

Then again, it might be entirely possible to get away with this stuff, I was simply speculating that it's probably pissing people off. But as big a show that it is I'd be surprised if there aren't guys whos job it is to monitor the likes of reddit for leaks. I'm surprised The Tudors production didn't seem to care but hey, happy days for the community site. Maybe being an "official" site did indeed make all the difference.

Anyway for what it's worth, I was prominently visible in last weeks episode, and briefly in the episode before that. Hopefully in two upcoming. And obviously I shouldn't be posting this, but it has already aired, and this thread has only had 2k views in a month so I'm probably ok.

That's me with the sword beside Locke.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img838/555/594c.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That's me with the sword beside Locke.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img838/555/594c.png

/Reports immediately to HBO in return for an extra spot next season.

:pac:

Advertisement