Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accommodation Thread (Info & Requests) '13/'14 PP * ALL ACCOM. POSTS GO HERE! *

• 06-08-2013 8:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For students looking to live in Waterford during college term, I have put together a list of common places I can think of. Feel free to ask any questions or make additional suggestions here. If you are looking for accommodation or have accommodation on offer - post away.

Estate Agents / Property Management companies are not permitted to post on Boards without prior agreement with the Boards.ie Community Managers. This can be obtained by email; hello@boards.ie. Thank You

Never be fooled by advertising campaigns and pictures of apartments that were accurate several years ago when they were built but have changed big time since! Ask other students for Feedback. The College has its own Accommodation Office which is located at the back of the Students Union Office (turn right as you walk out of the business building).

Manor Village - Manor Village isn't bad for first years and if your not looking for fancy accommodation. Apartments are basic enough, in okay condition and security is tight. After a certain time you are not allowed bring non-residents into your apartment. Some say they don't like party's, but I have found security easy going in that respect. They have a direct college bus also. Its right beside College St. campus and 10-15min walk to main campus. Its about 5-10mins into the city centre, 5mins (or less) to the clubs & pubs and is located near the main public bus route. Never been in Manor 2 which is supposed to cater for those in college a few years.

Riverwalk - Very similar to Manor Village but nicer apartments, more relaxed security but tight on people causing trouble etc. No restrictions on coming and going. Personally prefer Riverwalk to Manor, but the downside is your 10-15mins away from the main campus, 5-10 from College St. and pubs/clubs and again 10-15mins from the town centre. You are a fair bit away from the nearest bus stop for the city routes (closest bus stop is for Tramore). No direct bus provided either.

Railway Square - More luxurious apartments then most student accommodation. These were built in the last few years and seem to be in fairly good condition. Completely private, located right beside the cinema, bus stop outside, close to the pubs and clubs and 5mins into the city centre. Probably not idea for first years and perfect if looking for accommodation with a few friends.

Templers Hall - Houses situated in a mixed residential estate with families and students. Nicest houses are on the front and its generally quieter there. Have been a few troubles in recent years with students causing problems for other residents but after warnings from the college director, guards and students union - its probably going to improve. Downside is your closest to the halting site (the further back into the estate you go). Security warned us on first day about the estate, Ballybeg, which Templers is near. Cant say I found much, if any, problems caused by them. Some houses are good condition and some are awful - so check the house before renting. Located 5mins from main campus, close to bus stops and 10-15mins to College St.

Lismore Park - At the back of the college, more houses in a mixed estate (probably more families then students). Only problems here are parking related but as always when renting houses and apartments - check the condition first. 2mins from main campus, 10-15mins to College St. and is located on a city bus route.

College Fields - On campus accommodation at the back of the college. Never been inside and never knew anybody who stayed there.

Browns Road Complex - Close to Lismore Park. Never been there, cant comment.

Nearly all of the above have internet access but its nothing special!

Tips

Some tips from the accommodation office when looking for places to stay:-
    • Students should always view the accommodation prior to booking.
    • Always get a receipt when placing a deposit down.
    • Rentbooks should be supplied by your landlord/lady.
    • Rentbooks can be obtained from the Accommodation Office or Students Union office.

Besides looking here for places to stay check out;
    www.daft.ie
    www.manorproperties.ie
    www.g.fitz.com
    www.bookaroom.ie
    www.munsterexpress.ie
    www.collegecribs.ie

Notices are frequently placed on college noticeboards, in toilets and beside WIT Card Topup Machines.

Bus Routes
    There are two bus routes running ever 12mins or so to the college / quay including College St Campus. No. 601 & 603.

601 (Ballybeg) travels from the Quay -> Parnell St. -> Manor St. (across from Manor Village) -> Ballybeg (Stop 1, across from the old Waterford Crystal sight and above Topaz Cork Road), -> Ballybeg (Stop 2, directly across from the main campus entrance). It continues into Ballybeg after WIT. Note: This is an alternative route to get to the Quay. Jump on across from the main WIT Entrance and once it goes through Ballybeg (it waits here for a bit) it continues down to the Quay! View Timetable

603 (WIT) travels from WIT (Main Campus, outside main entrance) -> the former Crystal site (across from Topaz Cork Road -> Hennessy's Road (above Maxol / Aldi), -> College St Campus (across from Topaz Manor) -> Parnell St. -> The Quay. Note: This is an alternative route to WIT. Jump on outside AXA Insurance across from the terminus. It goes up into Ballybricken and onwards to the WIT Main entrance. View Timetable

There all around the €1.60 mark but it tends to increase every year. It is probably higher, I just don't know the current rate.

For people coming from Tramore. There is a revised timetable in effect for this route, including an additional route to assist those in WIT or the Industrial Estate. So please get a copy of the latest timetable, available here. The new timetable doesn't detail the routes around the town of Tramore.

The Route 360 will serve Waterford Bus Station, Waterford Crystal, Parnell St, Tramore Rd, Riverstown, Crobally Upper, Summerhill, Ribh Road, Cove Rd and Tramore (Riverstown, Summerhill, Ring Road x3, Newtown Hill, the Cove, Church Road, main Terminus). View Timetable

The Route 360A will serve Waterford Bus Station, Waterford Crystal, Parnell St, WIT, Six Cross Roads, Riverstown, Ribh Rd, Cove Rd and Tramore. View Timetable

Customers in Tramore will be able to use Route 360A to travel to Waterford Industrial Estate and WIT (Mon-Fri). It departs from Tramore at 0715 and 0815. For customers travelling from Waterford Bus Station to WIT and Waterford Industrial Estate, the service departs from the bus station at 1530; 1630 and 1730.

This thread wont be just a list. It can be a discussion on various places and also a point where folk can request accommodation etc. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

1. Room to rent in in a 3 bed house. House currently occupied by two mature students. 1 single room left. The house is v clean. All mod cons and 12-15 mins walk from WIT main campus

Free on street parking In a quite cul de cac.

On main bus route

Free unlimited high speed broadband also avilable in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Deisedayo wrote: »
    1. Room to rent in in a 3 bed house. House currently occupied by two mature students. 1 single room left. The house is v clean. All mod cons and 12-15 mins walk from WIT main campus

On main bus route

Hey, I might be interested. I'll be a first year mature student this year. Could you PM me prices if you can thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jonathanodd

Hey,
    In need of some advice, just got a acceptance acceptance for
    add on 4th year in information technology today in WIT. Need to start looking
    for a place that's suitable. After spending the past year in CIT and living in a "Halls", at 31 i can assure you that i do not want to repeat this 'enlightening' experience smile.png

Need some direction in either renting a quite-ish place alone or finding other similar minding individuals to share with..

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lismorehouse

Hi, I have a house near to the college. It's a five bed so you will be sharing with other students but on the other hand it will be more reasonable for you. Lovely clean house with all the mod cons.
    Pm me back and I can mail you pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Paidi28

Anybody willing to tell me what it's like to rent in Lismore Park ? Me and a few friends are currently looking at renting there from a land lord called John , not sure about his second name if anyone has any experience please let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ahmadz

Deisedayo wrote: »

On main bus route

Hi there, i am coming to waterford to join WIT as a postgraduate student. Please pm me the details of your accomodation offer: Price, facilities,utility bills. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭mac1961

Two single rooms available for Mature students in a lovely area of Waterford City. Rent €50 for small room and €65 for large room. UPC broadband & TV and bin collection included in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

Two single rooms available. €50 and €60

Free high speed internet

Free refuse collection

House fully insulated. Resulting in low gas bills

12-15 walk from both WIT campus

And on main bus route

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Budds94

Does anyone know if rooms become available in Manor Village through dropouts/cancellations over the course of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jonathanod

Hey,
    I'm 23, looking for somewhere to rent near the college Will be a first year but would probably prefer 3rd or 4th year students. If any knows of any house near WIT, I would be interested and could view at anytime!

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lismorehouse

Johnathan,

I have a house very close to the college with 3rd years going into it in September. In Waterford tomorrow if you're about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 minicooper

I am a mature student that has a room available in a quite house. Would suit a mature female student that likes home comforts and tidy house. Will only be renting out one room so ideal for someone that likes a bit of space and not sharing with a million other people. PM me for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nymph bank fisher

Hi
    I am a Landlord in Waterford
    I have 4 rooms left. 2 in Lismore park and 2 on the Cork road.
    have a look at my houses on www.studenthouseswaterford.com
    The house in Lismore park would be shared with two 4th year Electronics engineering students. The house on the cork road would be shared with a third year legal studies student.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikek90

Hey,
    Im moving down from Galway to WIT next week entering into the Marketing Course via Advanced Entry.

Im 23 and dont think I could deal with living with first years, can anybody recommend the most suitable place to look for accom whether it be best to live on campus / near town / near college etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mikek90 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Im moving down from Galway to WIT next week entering into the Marketing Course via Advanced Entry.

Im 23 and dont think I could deal with living with first years, can anybody recommend the most suitable place to look for accom whether it be best to live on campus / near town / near college etc

The very first post covers your questions. Get yourself into a house with some third or fourth year students, might be the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭mac1961

mac1961 wrote: »
    Two single rooms available for Mature students in a lovely area of Waterford City. Rent €50 for small room and €65 for large room. UPC broadband & TV and bin collection included in rent.

Update: rooms gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikek90

Hey has anybody any clue what aylebury manor student accommodation is like? Its beside the tesco in town!! The only thing at the minute thats putting me off is on street parking.. Anybody know if millers marsh would be a safe place to park your car? IM STRESSED!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

mikek90 wrote: »
    Hey has anybody any clue what aylebury manor student accommodation is like? Its beside the tesco in town!! The only thing at the minute thats putting me off is on street parking.. Anybody know if millers marsh would be a safe place to park your car? IM STRESSED!

As far as I know you have to pay to park in millers marsh. It would be fine durning the day but I wouldn't be that keen to park it overnight . What about student accommodation on the manor . That's run by wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Currently looking for space around WIT for atleast 3 guys, all first years so nothing too expensive, preferably lismore park if possible and nothing over a 10 min walk from main campus.
    Leaving it late I no but we are hopefull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

Hi, I'm just wondering about the bus routes from the College Street campus area to Cork Rd. Campus. The walk in and out is no bother in fine weather but if it's pouring rain I need an alternative option. If I want to get out to Cork Rd. Campus would I wait at the bus stop a little outside College Street? Or somewhere else? And if I wanted to come back from Cork Rd to college street, do I wait by the bus stop exactly at the Cork Rd. campus wall or the bus stop directly across the road? :confused:

This post sounds incredibly stupid but I just want to clarify this before I go back. Plus the Waterford City Service have their buses down as 601/602/603 etc. but the first post states that they're called 1C and 2C. :confused: Sorry I'm completely lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

KillMona wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering about the bus routes from the College Street campus area to Cork Rd. Campus. The walk in and out is no bother in fine weather but if it's pouring rain I need an alternative option. If I want to get out to Cork Rd. Campus would I wait at the bus stop a little outside College Street? Or somewhere else? And if I wanted to come back from Cork Rd to college street, do I wait by the bus stop exactly at the Cork Rd. campus wall or the bus stop directly across the road? :confused:

This post sounds incredibly stupid but I just want to clarify this before I go back. Plus the Waterford City Service have their buses down as 601/602/603 etc. but the first post states that they're called 1C and 2C. :confused: Sorry I'm completely lost.

If you want to go go to cork rd campus you cross the road to get the bus and & you wait at the stop directly outside the cork rd campus to come back. I'll check in the morning with my daughter to see which bus to get going & coming & yes they are numbered 1c & 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

KillMona wrote: »

You get the Bus on the Cork road outside the DIY shop or down at Railway square you would be getting on the 601 up to the college stops right out side

And to get down you take the 603 witch will stop right out side college st if that helps you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You get the Bus on the Cork road outside the DIY shop or down at Railway square you would be getting on the 601 up to the college stops right out side

And to get down you take the 603 witch will stop right out side college st if that helps you

Have the bus numbers changed for the City Route?

Sully wrote: »
    Have the bus numbers changed for the City Route?

They Changed a while ago well i only took note there a few mouths ago when i seen the 603 while i was waiting for 1C to show up so i got in and asked the driver did they change the name and he said yes.

No idea why they changed them being honest

They Changed a while ago well i only took note there a few mouths ago when i seen the 603 while i was waiting for 1C to show up so i got in and asked the driver did they change the name and he said yes.

No idea why they changed them being honest

Feckers!

I updated the opening post to reflect this. What's the current cost of getting the bus?

Sully wrote: »
    Feckers!

I updated the opening post to reflect this. What's the current cost of getting the bus?

€1.80 is the going rate for the bus

€3.20 or €3.40 to and from Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Anybody know what the going rate is for Summer Student Accommodation, in Waterford?

Thinking about the likes of Strawberry Hill or Browns Road.

I think a 2 bed in Strawberry Hill is going for €450 at the moment. would it go down as far as €350, for the Summer?

Also, Anybody know if the Internet is decent in either place?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

looder wrote: »
    Anybody know what the going rate is for Summer Student Accommodation, in Waterford?

Thinking about the likes of Strawberry Hill or Browns Road.

I think a 2 bed in Strawberry Hill is going for €450 at the moment. would it go down as far as €350, for the Summer?

Also, Anybody know if the Internet is decent in either place?

per month for the household?

You'd be able to get it down to €300 a month for 2 people easily. Maybe even €250 p/m.

Student accomm is deserted over the summer. Would Templars Hall be too far away from the City Center for you? Friend of mine who's 3 bed house was €920 p/m got it down more than half for the summer months since the house would have been idle for the hols. Same with 75% of houses at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

callaway92 wrote: »
    per month for the household?

You'd be able to get it down to €300 a month for 2 people easily. Maybe even €250 p/m.

Student accomm is deserted over the summer. Would Templars Hall be too far away from the City Center for you? Friend of mine who's 3 bed house was €920 p/m got it down more than half for the summer months since the house would have been idle for the hols. Same with 75% of houses at least.

Strawberry Hill is €450 p/m for a 2 bed apartment at the moment. €225 per room I suppose.

Templars would be the finest but Strawberry Hill is in the perfect location, even if the apartments there aren't amazing.

The way I'm looking at it, is this. If a student House/Apartment is vacant in February, it'll more than likely be vacant until the end of August as more than likely no students will move in at this stage.

I'm thinking about looking for one of these vacant places for the next 6 months at summer prices, if you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

have a room to let in lismore park. Very short walk to the college. 50 per week. 3 4th year students already in the house. Pm me if interested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement