Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corrupt Insurance Companies

• 16-03-2012 4:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I just got a new insurance renewal letter and lo and behold yet again my insurance quote has gone up as usual.

I am with insure.ie through aviva for the last 8 yrs +.
    I have never crashed, I have never ever claimed.
    I have full bonus points, either 5 or 7 or whatever the max is.

Every year my quote goes up by roughly e100

I contacted Insure.ie over the phone there irrate and asked for the value of my car to be reduced from 9,000e to 2,000e, remove the windscreen cover and quote me 3rd party instead of fully comp.

60Euro off. I laughed at him down the phone and told him I would get my quote elsewhere and that even if Aviva were still the cheapest I would still go elsewhere since there is no loyalty.

So my question to you is can anyone tell me a list of insurance companies that I can get quotes from, preferably the cheapest ones.

Can I get car insurance in England ?? If not then is free trade across Europe just a load of b****x ??

btw I drive a 2l petrol car that is deemed "high risk"

again - never crashed, never claimed, on the road 10 yrs now.

Kuntree is a joke, maybe I just need to find a high res photocopier...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Where's the corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres no loyalty in insurance; always shop around (even if your renewal comes in cheaper) because theres always the chance you will ge a cheaper quote. Be prepared to change insurer every year if necessary; it costs nothing and as you have seen you gain nothing from sticking with one company for a prolonged period of time.

Theres also no such thing as a list of cheaper insurers; its done on a case by case basis and whats cheap for me might not be for you. The only way to ensure that you get the best quote possible is to get out the phone book and ring (talk to, not online quote) every insurer and broker that you can find.

What car is it exactly? Some insurers wont touch high risk cars regardless, but there are different levels of high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

What's the quote? You stuck with them for 8 years of 100 euro increases? :confused:

I'm paying Quinn (Liberty) €420 for a 2.0 turbo petrol car with 5yrs NCB. I'm 26.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

djimi wrote: »
    Theres no loyalty in insurance; always shop around (even if your renewal comes in cheaper) because theres always the chance you will ge a cheaper quote. Be prepared to change insurer every year if necessary; it costs nothing and as you have seen you gain nothing from sticking with one company for a prolonged period of time.

Theres also no such thing as a list of cheaper insurers; its done on a case by case basis and whats cheap for me might not be for you. The only way to ensure that you get the best quote possible is to get out the phone book and ring (talk to, not online quote) every insurer and broker that you can find.

What car is it exactly? Some insurers wont touch high risk cars regardless, but there are different levels of high risk.

thnx for the reply. I'll probably end up ringing insure.ie back and just bull$hit to them saying the AA quoted me 600, then I'll ring up again a day later and say the same thing again. I'll do this maybe 2 or 3 times until my quote is down to 450e.

I have to do this every year, just a pointless waste of time. I never ring AA btw

What's the quote? You stuck with them for 8 years of 100 euro increases? :confused:

I'm paying Quinn (Liberty) €420 for a 2.0 turbo petrol car with 5yrs NCB. I'm 26.

The quote is E680 for a focus st170 ( 2002 model / old st model )
    I'm 27.

thnx for the above, I'll deffo try Quinn

They quote me incremental increases of 100e every year.
    Every year I bull$hit them and told them some other insruance company will do it cheaper, then they drop it.
    I do this 2 or 3 times until it's about 200e less than the orignal quote I got from them.

The only reason I've never moved away from them is because they have all my details / history etc which I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    thnx for the reply. I'll probably end up ringing insure.ie back and just bull$hit to them saying the AA quoted me 600, then I'll ring up again a day later and say the same thing again. I'll do this maybe 2 or 3 times until my quote is down to 450e.

I have to do this every year, just a pointless waste of time. I never ring AA btw

try ALL the providers.

Ive pretty much changed year on year, Play them all off each other. However last x3 years 'first ireland' keep winning so we will see what happens come renewal time. i dont mind phoning around it amuses me sometimes.

Chances are they wont care; I used to get bargains by playing that game with insurers, but recently they have taken the attitude that if you get a quote cheaper somewhere else then you are free to move to that insurer.

For the sake of a couple of phone calls you will probably get a better quote somewhere else that wont involve doing a merry dance with insure.ie trying to get a few quid off your renewal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Most of the cost in insurance claims comes from third parties not from the damage to own car (which is limited to market value whatever you value it at) - merely reducing to third party cover will rarely save a lot of cash.

Just shop around, there are always deals to be had.

Its not scam, its just business...

The quote is E680 for a focus st170 ( 2002 model / old st model )
    I'm 27.

I dont think the ST Focus is anywhere near as bad as my car to insure (JDM Integra) but I found I got the most joy by ringing brokers rather than insuers direct. In some cases a broker will be able to get a quote even after the insurer refused me directly. Its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The only reason I've never moved away from them is because they have all my details / history etc which I don't.

What details do you not have? There's not much needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

When you move eventually, and I suggest you do, they will send out a certificate for your No Claims. There will be no issue regarding your details. When threatening to leave, some companies can make a song and dance about transferring details etc. There really isn't much to it at all.

Thnx for all the replies ppl, much appreciated. I'm heading off now and won't be back at a pc until roughly 8pm tonight but will certainly dive back into this thread.

Any chance someone can post up a list of insurance companies as I'm sure I don't know all of them, here's the one's I know of :

AA
    Insure.ie
    Quinn
    Aviva
    hibernian
    Aon - think this is motorbikes only ?

that's all I know, if you know of any more please post them and I will check out all of them.

What details do you not have? There's not much needed.

just my NCB and history details I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

just my NCB and history details I suppose.

Does your renewal letter not have this info?If you switch insurer ,you then get a copy of no claims certificate sent out to you from your old insurer which you forward onto your new insurer.There's not much to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Thnx for all the replies ppl, much appreciated. I'm heading off now and won't be back at a pc until roughly 8pm tonight but will certainly dive back into this thread.

Any chance someone can post up a list of insurance companies as I'm sure I don't know all of them, here's the one's I know of :

AA
    Insure.ie
    Quinn
    Aviva
    hibernian
    Aon - think this is motorbikes only ?

that's all I know, if you know of any more please post them and I will check out all of them.

Axa
    Allianz
    Zurich
    123.ie
    FBD
    One Direct
    Tesco

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I recently changed to Chill.ie. I have Class 3 insurance on A4 TDi Avant for €410. I was paying €800 odd through a Group scheme with Glennons for less cover: when I changed the car (old model A4 to new model A4) they wanted an extra €110 so I did a shop around which I hadn't done in about 10 years. I was glad I did as I think most companies bank on the fact that you won't bother changing "because it's too much hassle" hence the incremental increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been with insure.ie for the last 6 years, but I've changed insurer practically every year. Every year, I go through the same exercise of ringing around, but insure.ie have always dug up the cheapest quote for me. So as a result, they've kept my business.

You just have to work at it and ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Insurers are corrupt because you don't know what you're talking about! Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I had bad experiences with brokers.

Insuring my car was a nightmare. Nobody would insure it so I ask a few brokers to look into it. The best the could find was 600 euro per year with a 4000 euro excess.

I was to a point that I was even considering it when your woman explain me that the excess if not only what I have to pay to the insurer as part of the repair but also I'll have to pay the other party the first 4000 euro?????!!!!

I do agree when he believes Insurance companies are corrupted.

In the end I got it insured with Quinn using my motorbike policy and adding a vehicle on line... they wouldnt take it if I rang

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Wanna know why your insurance is going up every year? To maintain Aviva's €2,550,000,000 annual profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Wanna know why your insurance is going up every year? To maintain Aviva's €2,550,000,000 annual profit.

yeah... that's a good point. Why was my insurance with Aviva going up every year... no claims nor anything...it always puzzled me, that and their horrible customer service were the two main reasons why I left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I left Liberty (Quinn) this year and switched to 123.ie on a BMW 328 for €370. My renewal with Liberty was €500.

Well chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

In the 3 years I had a car, went from 1200 comp with First Ireland to 750 TPFT with 123.ie to 370 TPFT with 123.ie. This year I'll "qualify" to be quoted by nononsense, so we'll see.... but I enjoy seeing the premium go down year to year by playing the insurers off each other.

123.ie initially came with 400 odd when renewing with them, but called and said I can get 380 elsewhere, so they offered 370 on the spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Do all companies load you for penalty points? I just got 2 for speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

2 points normally don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I was with quinn for 7 years, left them and started year 8 with 123, now leaving 123 because of sh!tty customer service xperiences and rang quinn(Liberty) to be quoted double what they did last year lol. 395 in 2011' V 690 this year. Eh no thanks! Same make and model car aswell.

I to am fishing for car insurance. FBD quoted me 404 which is reasonable. Everywhere else has quoted me 550 +.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Aviva knocked my 10% discount off because of 2 penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't let facts get in the way of a good headline.

84% of Aviva's profit (£2,100,000,000) was earned from life insurance, nothing to do with motor policies. Strip out health, fire, burglary and other general insurance and they made nothing like 2.55 billion profit from motor policies.

http://www.aviva.com/media/news/item/good-progress-beating-operating-targets-16395/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I was with RSA for many years and my premium kept increasing. was paying 520e fully comp on an Alfa 156 1.6 (04). Rang up tesco (RSA) got near enough the same cover for 279e.

Just swapped Alfa for a Citroen C5 1.6HDI and got a refund of 20e. for the remaining premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That is a crap quote alright. Any pics of your car? I was nearly buying one last November, but settled for a 1.6 for the moment. :)

Advertisement