Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    Any word on how the HUGE bash at the national stadium is going?

http://files.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/90254947.jpg

Meanwhile in donegal............. thousands more....... http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/03/24/thousands-at-cant-pay-wont-pay-protest-hear-priest-tell-them-to-stand-firm/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

trellheim wrote: »
    **** me, its tax avoider central in here.

I agree with part one of that sentence - but the second clause is pure bullocks.

This isn't a "tax" - it's an attempt at extortion by an illegitimate undemocratic Regime with no mandate.

Avoiding corrupt illegitimate "taxes" is a moral duty. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

phil1nj wrote: »
    Eh no, it's definitely a household charge not a property tax.

It's a tax.
    It's liable only on property owners.

It's a property tax.

hondasam wrote: »
    You keep moving the goalposts.

Don't worry. If he moved them a foot in front of his boot - he'd still miss! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Wild Bill wrote: »
    ....an illegitimate undemocratic Regime with no mandate.

You must have missed the part where we elected this government by a crushing majority.

• Advertisement

You keep moving the goalposts.
    If I buy a car it's my decision,no one is forcing me to buy it. If I decide to drive a BMW instead of a fiesta it's also my choice but I have a choice, see where I'm going, it's about having a choice.

Property ownership is a choice.

It's a tax.

It's a property tax.

Ah! A multiple choice question where all the answers offered are wrong! :eek:

You must have missed the part where we elected this government by a crushing majority.

Nope!

You have missed the part where the elected Government went on to implement the polices rejected by a crushing majority. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Property ownership is a choice.

Yes but I was not told about this tax before I built my house so therefore I was not given the choice.

Why is it you are so in favour of paying the tax? do you honestly not see it as unfair on everyone? do you not think we have done enough with pay cuts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

It's a tax.

It's a property tax.

Like motor tax? The kind of tax where I receive a bill or other such communication from the government when it's due? One of those taxes? Or is one of those taxes that you pay at the end of year and receive a P60 type deal for? Because as "taxes" go, its a pretty **** one seeing as I've received no notification from the government with only 7 days left till the deadline for payment.

Oh and isn't one of the tenets of taxation that any tax levied should be fair? This tax as you call it falls to bits when scrutinised on a fairness level let alone an implementation level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Biggins wrote: »
    From Friday.

Thanks Biggins. I enjoyed those clips. I see Brendan Burgess on about his campaign to get people to pay - I dont think he is in touch with reality!

Yes but I was not told about this tax before I built my house so therefore I was not given the choice.

Why is it you are so in favour of paying the tax? do you honestly not see it as unfair on everyone? do you not think we have done enough with pay cuts etc?

The structure of motor tax was changed not too long ago as well - despite people having bought cars prior to the change. Change happens. I had to pay stamp duty on my house, then it wasn't required for subsequent first-time-buyers, then it was again - **** happens.

Once again - I support progressive property tax as a part of a sustainable revenue structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I agree with part one of that sentence - but the second clause is pure bullocks.

This isn't a "tax" - it's an attempt at extortion by an illegitimate undemocratic Regime with no mandate.

Avoiding corrupt illegitimate "taxes" is a moral duty. :cool:

Other people who don't like paying taxes at least take some steps to try to hide their crimes. You and your friends come on here advertising the fact. Courage above and beyond. The chickens have come home to roost for the offshore account merchants etc over the last few years.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0314/1224313270436.html

Excellent point.

And even more valid as we elected a Regime whose mandate and legitimacy was based on not introducing this "tax!.

Nope!

You have missed the part where the elected Government went on to implement the polices rejected by a crushing majority. :cool:

You said "an illegitimate undemocratic Regime".

They are neither illegitimate or "undemocratic" because they were elected in legitimate, democratic elections.

You're making things up.

phil1nj wrote: »
    Like motor tax? The kind of tax where I receive a bill or other such communication from the government when it's due? One of those taxes?.

Nope - it's kind where you self-register and don't get an individual notice, or wait until the individual demand comes, and pay the penalties. That's the (entirely legitimate and legal) kind it is.

Other people who don't like paying taxes at least take some steps to try to hide their crimes. You and your friends come on here advertising the fact. Courage above and beyond. The chickens have come home to roost for the offshore account merchants etc over the last few years.

Don't have an offshore account so them chickens won't be roosting on me!

The most serious crime we are discussing here is the destruction of Irish democracy by the current Regime.

That's a crime that must be tackled before any other; because without legitimate Government there is no legitimate taxation.

Once again - I support progressive property tax as a part of a sustainable revenue structure.

You support the government taking money from any place they can, they have gone to far this time, people are not prepared to keep paying.
    Revenue structure, I pay enough out of my wages as it is as does every other worker in this country.
    It will soon come to a point where we will not be able to go to work,Diesel/petrol has got so dear it's ridiculous. We cannot be asked to keep paying.

You said "an illegitimate undemocratic Regime".

They are neither illegitimate or "undemocratic" because they were elected in legitimate, democratic elections.

You're making things up.

No I'm not. Don't you know that, according to Alistair, Ireland wasn't ever a democracy?

I disagree of course. When you get one vote in five years and vote to crush a policy - an existential policy re the countrie's future - only to get it anyway - that isn't democracy. Period.

That's a bit like saying Hitler was democratic 'cos "he was elected in legitimate, democratic elections."

Take a break and breath in some reality? OK?

Revenue structure, I pay enough out of my wages as it is as does every other worker in this country.

You pay less out of your wages in taxation than the majority of EU states - 25 out of the 29 states in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

3,000 is a respectable showing for an event with the ambition to plan for 2,000. It's quite a poor show for those claiming over a million supporters for their position.

What significance does the numbers attending protests have? =/

It may make you feel better bout the whole thing if only a few thousand show up and physically protest, but ultimately the million+ households that don't pay is all that will matter.

Don't have an offshore account so them chickens won't be roosting on me!

The most serious crime we are discussing here is the destruction of Irish democracy by the current Regime.

That's a crime that must be tackled before any other; because without legitimate Government there is no legitimate taxation.

You're the cleverest boy in the class and no one can win an argument with you. So when you say the government is an illegitimate regime then that makes it a fact.

We have tried nearly them all by now. Fianna Fail, PD's, Greens, Fine Gael, Labour and nothing works with the democracy lark.

You pay less out of your wages in taxation than the majority of EU states - 25 out of the 29 states in that regard.

What's that got to do with anything?
    Tell me the cost of living in all those states? Tell me what their local government provide? No point in saying I pay less tax if you have noting else to compare it with.

That's a bit like saying Hitler was democratic 'cos "he was elected in legitimate, democratic elections."

Take a break and breath in some reality? OK?

He was FFS.

Just because he was an evil asshole doesn't mean that he wasn't democratically elected. The level of intelligence on display by the "No" side is laughable.

You don't understand how the economy, taxation, democracy or pretty much anything actually works. Just admit it, you don't want to pay because you just want to keep your cash and **** the running of the country. That's fine. I'd have infinitely more respect for the campaign if they would just tell the truth.

I believe he said he paid enough.

So you are saying they pay too much in 25 out of 29 EU states? Obviously a failed model then (as we can see).

Time to think again - not time to follow the failures :rolleyes:

You're the cleverest boy in the class and no one can win an argument with you.

Nah! But certainly light years ahead of any of the pro-Regime drones posting here!

Is there nobody on your side can defend the indefensible :D ?

You don't understand how the economy, taxation, democracy or pretty much anything actually works. Just admit it, you don't want to pay because you just want to keep your cash and **** the running of the country. That's fine. I'd have infinitely more respect for the campaign if they would just tell the truth.

A bit unfair don't you think. I have no problem paying now it's what I will be asked to pay next year that bothers me and it's not a fair tax.

I heard on Newtalk details of a Red C poll to be published tomorrow. Fine Gael up 4% cant remember at what level, Sinn Fein remain at 18%. The referendum would be carried 60/40 discounting the don't knows.

I still say Boards polls are not accurate and I expect 58% compliance by 31 March. Even the group here who give Sinn Fein more than double what scientific polls do are saying 38% will pay.

He was FFS.

Just because he was an evil asshole doesn't mean that he wasn't democratically elected. The level of intelligence on display by the "No" side is laughable.

I'm not claiming he wasn't elected democratically! - I'm ridiculing the notion that he was a democrat or his party were democrats.

Same as I'm stating an observable fact: the the current Regime isn't democratic.

I'd be slow to call folk "stupid" in your position, btw. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On a tissue of LIES and BROKEN PROMISES.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement