Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

smash wrote: »
    No it's not :confused:
    Yes i know. Too many drugs for a busted up leg. I blame the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I agree, we all don't watch RTE and well over a year ago with all the coverage of economic downfall i had enough and no longer buy papers. listen to news current affair programs on the TV or radio used to follow all current affairs. Most information I now hear is second hand but life is alot more better since I imposed a media black out. (Also I no longer want to be part of the european progam but as the country I live is in it I have no choice) this last statement is a p*** take in case I get a back lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Enlighten me then as to how they will collect it if people don't pay, and refuse to pay a fine?

No it's not :confused:

How Household Charge will be collected if people don't pay is already explained in earlier posts - if you took the time to read them.

Government have little choice but to make this work ..... it's not rocket science - all it takes is determination to see it through - they already have the mandate to sort out the country's finances.

I attach FAQ again, which explains all relevant details: https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx#fk16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Not all countrymen will have to contribute to this tax though, only home owners.

Irrelevant. All countrymen use the services of the local government, whether they want to admit or not.

Irrelevant. All countrymen use the services of the local government, whether they want to admit or not.

Yes, but home owners are being targeted to pay, not all countrymen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

golfwallah wrote: »
    How Household Charge will be collected if people don't pay is already explained in earlier posts - if you took the time to read them.

Government have little choice but to make this work ..... it's not rocket science - all it takes is determination to see it through - they already have the mandate to sort out the country's finances.

I attach FAQ again, which explains all relevant details: https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx#fk16

If you read the document it just states there will be fees and penalties. It doesn't state how they will collect the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

If you read the document it just states there will be fees and penalties. It doesn't state how they will collect the money.

It's all there - just read it again ..... slowly .... then think about it.

Slow down ..... you're too quick at posting ...... I'm not your teacher or your mammy ....... I'm off to the gym .... this is just crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Looks clear to me - "Any Household Charges or late payment penalties due on a residential property will have to be discharged, in full, before a transfer or sale of the property can be completed. "

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭jack67

well for some who can afford to go to the gym

golfwallah wrote: »
    It's all there - just read it again ..... slowly .... then think about it.

Slow down ..... you're too quick at posting ...... I'm not your teacher or your mammy ....... I'm off to the gym .... this is just crazy!!

No it's not, so drop the condescending attitude:

"An owner of a residential property who does not pay a Household Charge or an instalment thereof by the due date will be subject to (1) LATE PAYMENT FEES and (2) LATE PAYMENT INTEREST"

"Any Household Charges or late payment penalties due on a residential property will have to be discharged, in full, before a transfer or sale of the property can be completed."

So if you have no intention of selling and refuse to pay, what will they do?

• Advertisement

So if you have no intention of selling and refuse to pay, what will they do?

Have you no intention of dying either?

Have you no intention of dying either?
    "Penalties and interest which had been accruing up to the point of death cease and no further penalties are applied, provided that the personal representative of the deceased discharges the full amount of the household charge, late payment fees and interest due up to the date of death within 3 months of the date of the grant of representation to the estate of the deceased."

Parent dies, you have 3 months to pay. You refuse to pay, what will they do?

"Penalties and interest which had been accruing up to the point of death cease and no further penalties are applied, provided that the personal representative of the deceased discharges the full amount of the household charge, late payment fees and interest due up to the date of death within 3 months of the date of the grant of representation to the estate of the deceased."

Well presumambly the property cannot be transfered to the next of kin and the state becoimes the de-facto owner of the property, in this instance the state can recover the charge by selling the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well presumambly the property cannot be transfered to the next of kin and the state becoimes the de-facto owner of the property, in this instance the state can recover the charge by selling the property.

Presumably.

Your some craic.

A legal document should have a little bit more clarity in it than a 'presumption' no?

Why are you presuming that. It doesn't say that anywhere. It says the fines/penalties must be paid within 3 months of change of ownership or in other words "within 3 months of the date of the grant of representation to the estate of the deceased". They can not just take a house that's been fully paid for.

What they could do it add the amount to the inheritance tax but is also does not say that anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Enlighten me then as to how they will collect it if people don't pay, and refuse to pay a fine?
    Get a court order maybe.
    Get an attachment order and take it directly from your salary maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What a complete load of ****e.
    The pro campaign must be in big trouble when they're coming out with this kind of drivel!!

The anti campaign must be in much worse shape by insulting people and calling them "sheep" and "government shills".

Ghandee wrote: »
    Presumably.

Your some craic.

A legal document should have a little bit more clarity in it than a 'presumption' no?

You think my post is a legal document?

If you want legal clarity ask a solicitor - I'm just giving an opinion thus my use of the word 'presumably'.

The anti campaign must be in much worse shape by insulting people and calling them "sheep" and "government shills".

What difference does it make what shape anything is in? What is, is. The pro campaign posters were not short of a few little insults themselves. That also wont change what is or will be.

Why are you presuming that. It doesn't say that anywhere. It says the fines/penalties must be paid within 3 months of change of ownership or in other words "within 3 months of the date of the grant of representation to the estate of the deceased". They can not just take a house that's been fully paid for.

What they could do it add the amount to the inheritance tax but is also does not say that anywhere.

See my answer above.

At the end of the day, I don't really give a **** how they collect it because I've paid so it's a moot point for me. The non-payers are the ones that need to educate themselves on their possible future liabilities.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Get a court order maybe.
    Get an attachment order and take it directly from your salary maybe.
    See my answer above.

At the end of the day, I don't really give a **** how they collect it because I've paid so it's a moot point for me.

The point is that nothing has been stated as to how they can get it. I said they can't prosecute almost 1/4 of the population and was told "they don't have to", but they do if they want the money.
    The non-payers are the ones that need to educate themselves on their possible future liabilities.
    And the payers need to educate themselves as to the trap they're falling in to. Pay now and see what level it's at in 3 or 4 years. At that stage you have no right to complain because you agreed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Paid the fee last night....Euro 100...took about 2mins
    What's the big deal? It will increase...two certainties death and taxes!
    Get really annoyed at 2 bit politicians hoovering up big salaries and unvouched expenses advising people to break the law to enhance their reelection prospects.
    We have bigger problems in this country at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Paid the fee last night....Euro 100...took about 2mins
    What's the big deal? It will increase...two certainties death and taxes!
    Get really annoyed at 2 bit politicians hoovering up big salaries and unvouched expenses advising people to break the law to enhance their reelection prospects.
    We have bigger problems in this country at the moment.

Get really annoyed at 2 bit politicians hoovering up big salaries and unvouched expenses, making election promises they know they can't follow up on to enhance their re-election prospects.

so what's your point?

And the payers need to educate themselves as to the trap they're falling in to. Pay now and see what level it's at in 3 or 4 years. At that stage you have no right to complain because you agreed to it.

I reserve the right to complain about my taxes for the rest of my life.

I'm under no illusion that the charge will rise in the coming years - as will most taxes.

I'm under no illusion that the charge will rise in the coming years - as will most taxes.

They announced "We will not tax people's income any more", so instead they'll just tax everything else. There's a breaking point, and to a lot of people this is it. Why touch people's homes? Why not add a gambling tax or an extra €1 on cigarettes and make 50x what the household tax will bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

After the 3 month period, penalties and interest will resume accruing on the property. Unless you plan on keeping the property in your family's possession for the next 200 years, they will get their money eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

This is what the constitution says in regards to private property:
    Private Property
    Article 43
    1. 1° The State acknowledges that man, in virtue of his rational being, has the natural right, antecedent to positive law, to the private ownership of external goods.
    2° The State accordingly guarantees to pass no law attempting to abolish the right of private ownership or the general right to transfer, bequeath, and inherit property.
    2. 1° The State recognises, however, that the exercise of the rights mentioned in the foregoing provisions of this Article
    ought, in civil society, to be regulated by the principles of social justice.
    2° The State, accordingly, may as occasion requires delimit by law the exercise of the said rights with a view to reconciling their exercise with the exigencies of the common good.

I think No. 2 is interesting:
    2° The State accordingly guarantees to pass no law attempting to abolish the right of private ownership or the general right to transfer, bequeath, and inherit property.

Of course it depends if a property tax can be classified as being for the common good. I'm sure it can be twisted that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »
    The anti household charge campaign cannot bring the country to a halt.
    To suggest it could is fanciful nonsence.

Codology! Are you a member of any of the campaign teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The tax is essentially on the house, so if it is sold or passed on then it will have to be paid then.

It will come down to solicitors having to ensure that all outstanding debts are paid off before any transfers of property can take place, for which I'm sure, they will charge an additional fee.

• Advertisement

They announced "We will not tax people's income any more", so instead they'll just tax everything else. There's a breaking point, and to a lot of people this is it. Why touch people's homes? Why not add a gambling tax or an extra €1 on cigarettes and make 50x what the household tax will bring in?

Well, because a property tax brings in a stable form of tax income every year - the alternatives you have mentioned are cyclical taxes which are driven by activity in the market place, whether that be people buying ciggarettes or people choosing to gamble.

Large scale increses in public spending on the back of highly cyclical taxes like VAT and Stamp Duty are what got us into the mess in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement