Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applied Computing - Core Technologies in 4th Year

Options
  • 09-04-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I am considering applying for advanced entry into 4th year Applied Computing in WIT. Could any current or past students offer any info on what languages and technologies are used during the final year?

I have experience with C# in general and ASP.Net MVC in particular, Java, Android and JavaScript. What should I study over the summer if I am heading down this route?

Do lecturers insist on certain languages / platforms for projects, or can I use what I have experience with?

I should mention I am looking at doing the Audio (I also have some experience with digital audio processing) and Cloud Computing electives.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Java is the OO Language as far as i know.

Just out of curiosity how do you qualify to go straight to 4th year? Does a person just need an IT degree or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Media999 wrote: »
    Java is the OO Language as far as i know.

Just out of curiosity how do you qualify to go straight to 4th year? Does a person just need an IT degree or how does it work?

I am not guaranteed a place. As I understand, advanced entry is evaluated based on results and assessments. I will have a B.Sc. in Software Systems Development.

Java (inc. Android), .Net, JavaScript I am comfortable with. I was mainly wondering if a lower-level language such as C was required, and if I would be able to use a web-framework that I am familiar with such as ASP.Net MVC rather than being required to learn Ruby / Rails or Python / DJango.

Also interested in technologies are used in the Digital Audio stream .

My plan is to study whatever is required for the year, even though I may not get in. It's all useful stuff anyway, I'm sure.

From what i understand they use Ruby and Java. No C or C++ as far as i know.

Did you study SSD in WIT? Is it just because there is no jobs in Waterford your going back to college?

I wouldnt say youll have a problem getting into the course if you meet the criteria.

From what i understand they use Ruby and Java. No C or C++ as far as i know.

Did you study SSD in WIT? Is it just because there is no jobs in Waterford your going back to college?

I wouldnt say youll have a problem getting into the course if you meet the criteria.

Thanks, I'll look over some Ruby. SSD in WIT, yes. I am only finishing this degree this May though, so it would be wrong to say the shortage of jobs is the reason I am applying. More keeping my options open.

Ah ok so your basically finished.

What do you think of SSD in WIT? What programming languages are used in 4th year?

• Advertisement

Ah ok so your basically finished.

What do you think of SSD in WIT? What programming languages are used in 4th year?

SSD is a good course (to be clear I'm just finishing year 3), but there are a couple of general MIS and visual design type modules that did not interest me as much as the coding and computer science type modules. Year four introduces Ruby on Rails, but I think you can use other frameworks if you have spent time learning other languages / frameworks yourself.

Ah right that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Just FYI:

4th Year SSD in WIT:

Languages: Ruby, Java, Android plus whatever you choose to implement you project in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SSD2014

neonitrix wrote: »
    Just FYI:

4th Year SSD in WIT:

Languages: Ruby, Java, Android plus whatever you choose to implement you project in.

Thanks for the info neonitrix. Just dropped you a PM.

What is the module that covers Ruby/Rails?

Does anyone know if the lecturer for this module allows different server side languages/frameworks to be used for the CA for this module?

i.e. ASP.Net MVC, Python/Django, Java/Spring

Is there a written exam on Ruby itself or anything?

• Advertisement

we have had 3 modules so far, web server programming, dynamic web development, and one other. And he insisted that we use ruby. they were all 100% CA so don't panic at the start I hated the language now its 2nd nature, still hate web stuff tho would rather stick a fork in my eye than do html and CSS. Have never learned them they just assume that by now all students know it. All I know is at my last college they were more concerned with Programming Java C Assembly Perl

neonitrix wrote: »
    we have had 3 modules so far, web server programming, dynamic web development, and one other. And he insisted that we use ruby. they were all 100% CA so don't panic at the start I hated the language now its 2nd nature, still hate web stuff tho would rather stick a fork in my eye than do html and CSS. Have never learned them they just assume that by now all students know it. All I know is at my last college they were more concerned with Programming Java C Assembly Perl

OK good to know, thanks for that.

No Worries,

The only advice I can give to anyone going into 4th year, is pick your project, research the core concepts over the summer and start straight away when you turn up for college in Sept, what ever you do dont wait on them to allocate supervisors as it can take ages to sort out and you will fall behind so fast.

You will be surprised what you can get done, I never thought I would have what I have at this point, its not perfect but its not supposed to be, and its not like the year has run smoothly so it all impacts what you can get done.

Best of luck with it guys

neo

Advertisement