Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Next Tuesday is looking like the next decent chance of good convection for most of us

I know a decent time away for thing's to change, more especially so with it being a low pressure system, and the angle/position will most likely change no doubt but here it is.

0bdCK.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at the radar there must be a few spots in Waterford and Cork getting a duluge! Heavy showers down there not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Clip of a nice hail shower that passed over me at 3:30pm, hail the size of peas, kept the dog amuzed as they bounced in the back door :)

Taken with a HTC Desire HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

DOCARCH wrote: »
    and Cork getting a duluge! Heavy showers down there not going anywhere.

Though hail already reported for Cork City, just five miles away in Blackrock, just a little rain. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Can confirm that, a small hail shower in Cork city about an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

a downpour of hail around half 3 in cork city, got caught in it :rolleyes: fun to look at, not so much when your in it. lashing now as i type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Am watching some showers clouds really building to my north over the last 30 mins or so. Anvil formed around 20 mins ago and is spreading our rapidly. Latest radar has it over Roscommon but no fallstreaks from this particular cell as of yet.

Edit: Anvil decaying as rapidly as it formed but another small cell seems to be bubbling up ahead of it.

Edit again: Strike in Pangea country in the last 15 mins:

200336.png

Sky looking north from Tuam. Little cells popping up and have since merged. Some small hail here now from from the black cloud above:

200337.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Some seriously apocalyptic type clouds to my east.
    Didn't see a strike, but wasn't looking out for long.

Look at these beast of showers around Bundoran :eek:

http://i.imgur.com/wh1HM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looks like this might be a product of that mega shower in Bundoran
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/04/13/wacky-weather-donegal-hit-by-massive-hailstorms/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

For anybody up early enough. Like me. :) Looks like little cell has developed over the Irish Sea and has just arrived on the coast of south Dublin. Producing a few sparks. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Woken up by really heavy hail, crazy shower :eek: (Dalkey)
    Sleet mixed in too

patneve2 wrote: »
    Woken up by really heavy hail, crazy shower :eek: (Dalkey)
    Sleet mixed in too

When I saw you online I thought you were the perfect recipient for that shower! :) Any thunder?

Just heard distant runble of thunder here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yeah, nice rumbles

Moderate rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Lots of hail here in South Dublin (Shankill). 3 or 4 flashes of lightning and big claps of thunder.

Can hear more distant thunder now. Looks like shower is not going to reach here. Can see the dark cloud to my east and south east but can can see bright skies to the north east - looks like shower is getting pushed south as it makes landfall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Lots of hail in Kilmacanogue & the thunder sounds like its overhead its so loud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

All passed inland of me but about 20 rumbles heard, nearest about 2 miles away. Sun shining here, but black inland!

Centre has moved SW of me.

Another shower making landfall at Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was thunder hail here about 30 minutes ago. Huge explosion, all power gone. +2.0c

wow, that developed rather nicely over the last 3 hours. lucky ducks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Mothman wrote: »
    All passed inland of me but about 20 rumbles heard, nearest about 2 miles away. Sun shining here, but black inland!

Centre has moved SW of me.

Another shower making landfall at Arklow
    We have both now..
    Action overhead, to the west and east.
    Someone please hold me :D

• Advertisement

Thought it wouldn't be long before it got to you BB! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I heard the thunder; nothing here though. :(

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I heard the thunder; nothing here though. :(

Ditto here. Heard a couple of rumbles but no cigar!

Just had a light hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Saw this in my Facebook feed, I make no claims as to its authenticity though:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292292_10151476122690324_701440323_23223658_1869638783_n.jpg

Captioned as 'Tornando in bray this morning' - posted about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Saw this in my Facebook feed, I make no claims as to its authenticity though:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292292_10151476122690324_701440323_23223658_1869638783_n.jpg

Captioned as 'Tornando in bray this morning' - posted about an hour ago

There's a video of it near Bray seafront on youtube. I'm on my phone so can't post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

Here ya go..

:eek: ohhh sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Thunder in Wexford! Long and loud!

Heck! - thunder, lightening, twisters, 2cm hail.....meanwhile three or four miles north.....

IMG_1246-001.jpg

;)

• Advertisement

I'd estimate contact with the water to be about 100 - 200m diameter. Anyone any idea of the likely wind speed involved at the surface?

- hard to tell from the video but it looks like it might have passed across the DART line (which is literally on the shore at that point).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement