Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't focus/study ARRGGHH

• 03-12-2007 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have loads of stuff to do for college before the christmas break (Friday week) and here I am sitting at the computer, with the next 6 hours or so free and just can't concentrate. I keep finding other things to do for some reason. It's so annoying help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,583 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I am so there >_> the best thing to do is buckle down and get to it though son. Make a shortlist of what you have to do and break that into steps if you need to.

After that its a matter of getting comfortable and jacked on Red Bull - my god that will get your gears working.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

i should be studying!arrrghhhhhhhhh yet im posting on boards!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put down the laptop. Study now and take a break at midnight.
    Unplug network cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!its adicctive!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is it computer work you've to do? or just general book work?

computer work:
    create a new profile on your computer, no shortcuts to games, internet explorer, or anything other than Word or excel or whatever you need. It's the little tempting distrations that get ya, trust me.

Book work:
    lists are good, take your course from the top down, identify the different areas, pick one, break that down to it's area. write down what you know about this area for 2 minutes on a piece of paper. discard after 2 minutes.

get book and writing material. go at it for 25 minutes, taking note of page and major points made in your writing material. after 25 minutes, get another pieces of throw away paper and write down words or phrases related to the topic. in theory you should know alot more "key" words and phrases.

that should give you a confidence boost. take a 5 minute break, do 2-3 of these sessions before a major break of 30-45 minutes. it's a formal study plan I paid good money for years ago. ;)

I'm a procrastinator much like yourself, but this works a treat. it's the instant gratification you need. right, this is the only post you need read. no checking back for other answers, this is the best one you'll get! :-p lol, but seriously. GTFO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hi, I'm Faith, and I'm a serial procrastinator. I have third year exams at the moment that, if I fail, I'm kicked out of uni. My course is really hard. My next exam is Wednesday morning. I'm on boards.

You're not the only one OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jesus, don't blow your uni course. honestly. request a temporary ban, hang up your mod boots for a few weeks or somethin. How are you going to get back to Cali without a nice well paid graduate job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lol, I'm not really going to blow it and even if I was banned, I'd just read it not logged in. I've been working hard throughout the semester, it's just these periods before exams when I feel the need to study 25 hours a day that drive me crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,583 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »
    Put down the laptop. Study now and take a break at midnight.
    Unplug network cable.

You're so not in a Computing course, are you.

*games design

and the laptop is wireless - the internet - it doesnt switch off! Mwhahahahahahahahahahaha well it does but fcuk off no :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Get yourself some lucozade. I have an exam at 9:30am tomorrow.I have 1 topic of 4 revised so far. I will get there though. I allow myself 5mins online per hour of study done. So my 5 mins are up now until 11:25. Work on an award based system. Say to yourself "If I get topic 1 done I can watch half an hour of tv or listen to music" etc, not hard. Get the head down, think of all the people in your class who've just finished a day in the library... You've still got time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Ditto.

First exams Saturday and have wasted the whole of my first days real study surfin' not an hours work done...am disgusted with myself!

Ah well, there's always tomorrow.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

I'm the same, exams aren't until January though, but have bloody CA's to complete. :-(

Advertisement