Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing From upc tv to sky tv

• 09-01-2012 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am on Upc tv at the moment and my years contract is up on the 19th of January,I am considering changing my tv to sky digital but I don't know if I should for one reason..
    I have upc digital in the main room down stairs but in the 3 bedrooms,kitchen and playroom I get 17 channels(roughly) just through the cable coming out of the wall,now if I change to sky will I only have tv in the main room where the digital box is? Will I lose all my channels in the bedrooms etc.. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dj-kyosho wrote: »
    I am on Upc tv at the moment and my years contract is up on the 19th of January,I am considering changing my tv to sky digital but I don't know if I should for one reason..
    I have upc digital in the main room down stairs but in the 3 bedrooms,kitchen and playroom I get 17 channels(roughly) just through the cable coming out of the wall,now if I change to sky will I only have tv in the main room where the digital box is? Will I lose all my channels in the bedrooms etc.. ?

yup, you will lose them all alright as they will be cut off from you. Sky charge €15 p/m for multiroom. Vastly superior product though.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

dj-kyosho wrote: »

I cancelled UPC about a year ago but I'm still getting the 17 analogue channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lifianmis

How can you still be getting the 17 channels? I am also deciding on whether to stay with upc. I have digital with sky and ordinary tv with upc and one of my concerns is that I would lose all the tv channels in the 4 rooms that have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The SkyBoxes have the RF out so you can send your sky signal to another tv from your skybox in your living room. You can get digital recievers so in the night you can control your sky box and watch it from your bedroom. But remember what you watch downstairs you watch upstairs so you can't watch two different programs at the same time.

Sky also offer SkyGo which gives you free skytv online for upto 2 devices. (iPad,iPhone, Computer, Laptop)

I am thinking of getting rid of sky-we have it in living room and two multirooms. also have ordinary tv connections in all the rooms from when the house was built 20 yrs ago.I am also with vodafone for phone/broadband.So am thinking of going for bundle with upc as we are paying over the odds for all the different services.I have been looking into it and am getting the impression that phone/broadband with upc is the way to go but not tv.I have never had a problem with sky but I would like to have everything with upc as it would also mean we would still have use of tv connections in all the rooms.Also price is much better! Any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

lifianmis wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting rid of sky-we have it in living room and two multirooms. also have ordinary tv connections in all the rooms from when the house was built 20 yrs ago.I am also with vodafone for phone/broadband.So am thinking of going for bundle with upc as we are paying over the odds for all the different services.I have been looking into it and am getting the impression that phone/broadband with upc is the way to go but not tv.I have never had a problem with sky but I would like to have everything with upc as it would also mean we would still have use of tv connections in all the rooms.Also price is much better! Any comments?

UPC works out cheaper than Sky but their TV service is very much inferior to Sky imo. The equipment is much worse (you will hate the UPC box and EPG if you are used to Sky) and the range of channels, especially HD channels, is a lot smaller. My advise would be go with UPC for internet (it is by far and away the best in Ireland) but consider sticking with Sky for TV; I would if I could as in my opinion it is worth the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Im going to get rid of UPC all the content is free on the web AER TV for RTE,TV3 etc and Film on for BBC ITV etc there are aslo other 'alternatives' to watch sport and movies if you look in the night palces (Netflix only 7€ pm),

Just going to hook my laptop up to my TV via HDMI and watch that way this will save me 30€ per mth.

I think I'll keep sky + two multirooms and switch to upc for phone/broadband.Not sure whether to go for 25Mb or 50Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

How can you still be getting the 17 channels? I am also deciding on whether to stay with upc. I have digital with sky and ordinary tv with upc and one of my concerns is that I would lose all the tv channels in the 4 rooms that have them.

I don't know but I definitely am .. and so is one of my neighbours who also cancelled. I presume they couldn't be bothered as it's 'analogue' and it's on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nw2010

The UPC analogue service isnt effected by the switch off in October and isnt being switched off. In many ways it is an extremely valuable service it is the easiest way to provide a simple service in multiple rooms and for any type of TV without any extra decoders etc, perfect for spare bedrooms, and less used rooms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How can you still be getting the 17 channels? ....

UPC aren't very good at cutting people off.

Advertisement