Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

A lot of people from Dublin consider anybody not from Dublin a culchie. Which is bullshït obviously.

Hard to explain what I consider a culchie is but you can tell by the way they talk, what they wear and what they're into. Like someone that acts really farmerish.. & from a rural area maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Howr ye lads. Tis close isint it? A yeah theres a bit of growth all right but shur theres no drying in it. Have ye the turf home?....The bogs are sopping sure and I tore the meadow asunder trying to bring the bales out of it today morning. I was in the mart last week and I got 600 with the weight for a handful of weanlings, middling trade I thought. I see that bollox down from dublin for his holidays, he has my fecking head addled going around on that lawnmower day a night, some holiday for the tight hoor. Did you hear about bridie down the road, she got an turn the other night, touch and go with her now they are saying but god is good sure. Good luck anyway Martin and tell the mother I was asking for here...whist, come here a minute before you go and I will give you a handful of emeralds for the young lads.

If you have never had that conversation then you are not a culchie. (to qualify as a culchie you must also have 12 toes and only 4 fingers, know what animal beef comes from, have a lump of cash under your bed which you wisely didnt invest in houses during the BOOM and know how to use a burdizzo).

redzerologhlen,
    Stereotyping since 1989.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Well culchured?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A lot of people from Dublin consider anybody not from Dublin a culchie. Which is bullshït obviously.

No sir, it is in fact the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

They are the salt of the earth, the back bone of our society, good honest people who like batch bread, custard creams, any brand of red lemonade, bottles of bubble up, any form of tayto (Skips, Monster Munch, King, Hunky Dory's etc all come under the term tayto, as well as the actual tayto tayto), egg and onion/ham/roast beef sandwiches, soda bread, porridge, local papers, steam rallies/field days/sports days, happily walking into a shop covered in muck, dinner at fcking dinner time(1:30pm), bacon and cabbage, parking in the middle of the road for a chat, whist drives, visiting neighbours, county finals, table quiz's, getting up early, getting wasted drunk on a Saturday night, driving home and still being at first mass in the morning, country and western music, tractors, Honda 50's, Volkswagen Jettas, large bottles of ale or stout off the shelf with a half pint glass, turnips, the Irish Catholic newspaper, gossip, Jeeps, ploughing matches, sheep shearing, building massive houses in the arsehole of nowhere, no closing times, the radio, the death notices on the radio, the farming weather on a Sunday, wellington or top boots, steel toecap boots, short sleeve shirts, wooly hats all year round, rich tea biscuits with butter on them, corned beef, apple tart, tea, Paddys whiskey and Carrolls cigarettes.

I love being a culchie.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yeah I know I stated the obvious ha .. & non-sir* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People who eat their dinner in the middle of the day.

I think I'd like to start doing this, if someone cooked for me.
    Would sort of solve the problem of lunch being sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

IMHO, no matter how articulate / well crafted the words of a culchie, I always get the impression the accent gives them away as simple minded.

You can be as intelligent as evaaar, but that accent will ruin any chances I have of ever trusting your intellect.

Some may say I'm horribly biased for this, but I think that's why the stigma exists surrounding Culchies.

Sort out that accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

awec wrote: »
    I believe what Dubs are getting at is that outside of Dublin, Irish "cities" are "cities" in name only in their opinion.

When you consider Waterford, with it's population of a whole 40,000 people is a city you have to think they may have a bit of a point.
    It was a fine walled city when ye Dublin muck savages were living in mud huts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

anyone outside dublin is considered a culchie by the bleedin' dubs

• Advertisement

I believe what Dubs are getting at is that outside of Dublin, Irish "cities" are "cities" in name only in their opinion.

When you consider Waterford, with it's population of a whole 40,000 people is a city you have to think they may have a bit of a point.

You say that like not being from a city makes someone a culchie.. Being from rural Ireland alone isn't what makes someone a culchie IMO, and besides that, there's plenty of people from large towns and other built up areas i.e. not a rural place that are quite the opposite of culchies, so I don't understand this whole ''not from Dublin city/any other city = culchie'' thing people seem to have. Then again the people who think that generally seem to be people who have probably never even met much people from other counties/haven't been to other counties, so essentially they have nothing to base that thought on besides a stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

IMHO, no matter how articulate / well crafted the words of a culchie, I always get the impression the accent gives them away as simple minded.

You can be as intelligent as evaaar, but that accent will ruin any chances I have of ever trusting your intellect.

Some may say I'm horribly biased for this, but I think that's why the stigma exists surrounding Culchies.

Sort out that accent!

The Dub accent is by far the most knackerish accent i have ever heard.In fact,it's identical to the Gyp's accent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

People with country accents are culchies,it's not an insult though.It's like when culchies hear any Dublin accent and call someone a dub,nevermind if the accent is from Dalkey or Neilstown.They can't tell the difference between that,and city folk can't tell the difference between a Kilkenny accent or a Carlow accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

that is nonsense with all due respect. Dublin people don't dictate what is or is not a culchie means "country person". I would not describe an urban area such as Waterford or Galway, as being in the "country". Would you?

You are also neglecting the fact that a person living an urban area (any city or town) has quite a different view on life compared to that of a rural person. I know people from Limerick City who've never travelled 10 miles outside of the city, and who couldn't tell a tractor from combine harvester. I worked with one guy a few years ago who didn't even know how to get to the other side of the city. And i know country people who've hardly ever venture into the city. One of my neighbours hasn't gone 15 miles in the road to Limerick for over 20 years.

Having grown up in the countryside and now living in a city, i can confidently say there is a big difference between culchie and city folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Composed of straw, n lint bound together by muck, compost n general rural detritus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Yup. A lot of people showing their dislike of Dubliners on this thread!
    Hard to explain what I consider a culchie is but you can tell by the way they talk, what they wear and what they're into. Like someone that acts really farmerish.. & from a rural area maybe

No, that would be a bogger. Culchie is much more general than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

People with country accents are culchies,it's not an insult though.It's like when culchies hear any Dublin accent and call someone a dub,nevermind if the accent is from Dalkey or Neilstown.They can't tell the difference between that,and city folk can't tell the difference between a Kilkenny accent or a Carlow accent.
    Yeah but Dalkey and Neilstown are at least in the same county.

For Dubs a culchie is anyone outside Dublin.
    For people from outside Dublin it's simply people who live out in the back arse of nowhere

Sea Filly wrote: »

Yup. A lot of people showing their dislike of Dubliners on this thread!

How does that comment imply that I dislike Dubliners? All I said was that the stereotype that some of them make is bullshït.. not once did I say I didn't like people from Dublin..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

paddyandy wrote: »
    We are spoiled here in Dublin because there is every kind of scenery you can think of almost and it's not far away either
    On that score we're spoiled here in Ireland full stop. Low population density and largely bypassing the industrial revolution made a big diff. Our urban areas are tiny by comparison to other countries and especially our neighbour. We're spoiled rotten with green spaces and nearness of countryside in every city in Ireland. Like you say in London you've to travel a fair old way to get into the "proper" countryside.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've been living in Ireland for nearly 13 years now, and only heard "culchie" a couple of years ago. My first guess was that it was short for "cultured" i.e. making fun of Dubliners, but then I learned it means the opposite. ("Unculchie", anyone?)

It's hardly a uniquely Irish concept. In the USA they make jokes about West Virginia inbred hicks, England has its West Country types, people in Tokyo look down their noses at people from Hokkaido, and so on. In Germany, people from Swabia (SW Germany) get grief because they don't speak Hochdeutsch, but don't seem to care much (depending on who you talk to).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

bnt wrote: »
    I've been living in Ireland for nearly 13 years now, and only heard "culchie" a couple of years ago. My first guess was that it was short for "cultured" i.e. making fun of Dubliners, but then I learned it means the opposite. ("Unculchie", anyone?)

It's hardly a uniquely Irish concept. In the USA they make jokes about West Virginia inbred hicks, England has its West Country types, people in Tokyo look down their noses at people from Hokkaido, and so on. In Germany, people from Swabia (SW Germany) get grief because they don't speak Hochdeutsch, but don't seem to care much (depending on who you talk to).
    A. Culchie is ....someone who doesn't wear shiny tracksuits, doesn't stick earings and a tattoo on a two year old child, does not stab people at gigs, does not live with the constant drone of traffic in their ears, does not constantly say "do ya know wurra mean buddy", "bleedin.." or "howyez", does not know where the 42a goes to, does not care where the 42a goes to, does not think Kildare is "down the country", and does know that milk actually comes from a member of the bovine family, not Tesco or Spar... That's what a culchie is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

it works both ways... dubs call people that come from the countryside up to dublin, culchies... but now we have lots of dubs moving down the country... i called them Dubchies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

don't know about anyone else, but being called a culchie is no hardship, compared to be called a jack or a dub.

Bring it on culchies.

don't know about anyone else, but being called a culchie is no hardship, compared to be called a jack or a dub.

Bring it on culchies.
    You know why dublin people are called jacks though right

Slack jawed yokel type from Ireland.
    Talks funny, wears really old clothes, loves Smithwicks and Hurling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A culchie is a person that wears their wellies to weddings, funerals, pub, bamitzvah's, restaurant, work and while shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Anyone with the name "Muldoon"

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    A culchie is a person that wears their wellies to weddings, funerals, pub, bamitzvah's, restaurant, work and while shopping.
    BS. Us culchies are honest God fearing catholics, none of those foreign religions for us. I hear they don't even have tae and hang sangiches at those things anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Culchies* are honest rural people who work hard, often on farms.

Some of them may have shit on their boots, but those from the skangier parts of urban kips who look down on them have shit in their blood.

I believe the word culchie is originally derived from "Kiltimagh", which most Dubs couldn't pronounce properly and seem to think is where all the "muck savages" come from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

summerskin wrote: »
    Manchester, London, Geneva, New York, Lyon and Miami.

Ah, places that have NOTHING to do with the context of the conversation.

Also, Miami is sh!t!

Advertisement