Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »
    Isn't it out in a few months? Leaving it a bit late for a re-write aren't they?

No official release date yet I dont think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kiith wrote: »
    Isn't it out in a few months? Leaving it a bit late for a re-write aren't they?

Unless something changes, it will not be out till next year at the earliest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah ok, thought it was towards the end of this year.

Had to do some traveling today, so brought Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy with me, its a very solid game, reminds me of Wizardry and is a lot darker than Demon Gaze, the graphics are well done and it has a good combat system, only gripe so far is it tries to over complicate thing at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Had to do some traveling today, so brought Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy with me, its a very solid game, reminds me of Wizardry and is a lot darker than Demon Gaze, the graphics are well done and it has a good combat system, only gripe so far is it tries to over complicate thing at times.

Hopefully have mine monday or tuesday.

How did you get it so fast ?

• Advertisement

Hopefully have mine monday or tuesday.

How did you get it so fast ?

Had to get a few bits off VGP, so went with the 2 day DHL delivery, they release games early sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Two new legend of heroes games confirmed for the west. Unfortunately it's not the two sequels to trails in the sky. Trail of flash 1 and 2 are being renamed trails of cold steel 1 and 2. While it's great that the series is continuing in the west xseed have had to skip a tonne of beloved JRPGs that are regarded as some of the best ever made just to catch up with the series. Also the first game had a muted reception while the second had a lot of fan backlash. The series has had unanimous praise for its excellent BM style (before moe) writing which completely ignores anime tropes or turns them on its head (players of trails in the sky will understand this, Estelle was a fantastic character that was the complete polar opposite of most modern anime females).

Trails in the flash unfortunately is very trope-y but hopefully it's still a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Estelle was a fantastic character that was the complete polar opposite of most modern anime females.
    Estelle reminded me of my wife, not sure if that's a good or bad thing :P

Shame the sequels aren't coming, had my hopes up after reports earlier in the year that they were on the way.

Two new legend of heroes games confirmed for the west. Unfortunately it's not the two sequels to trails in the sky. Trail of flash 1 and 2 are being renamed trails of cold steel 1 and 2. While it's great that the series is continuing in the west xseed have had to skip a tonne of beloved JRPGs that are regarded as some of the best ever made just to catch up with the series. Also the first game had a muted reception while the second had a lot of fan backlash. The series has had unanimous praise for its excellent BM style (before moe) writing which completely ignores anime tropes or turns them on its head (players of trails in the sky will understand this, Estelle was a fantastic character that was the complete polar opposite of most modern anime females).

Trails in the flash unfortunately is very trope-y but hopefully it's still a great game.

There coming to vita yeah?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    Estelle reminded me of my wife, not sure if that's a good or bad thing :P

Shame the sequels aren't coming, had my hopes up after reports earlier in the year that they were on the way.

Well xxseed did release a ten year old game on PSP this year with Brandish so don't give up hope. That was a passion project they wanted to release for years and it finally happened. They really do want to get all the legend of heroes games out there but they just have an insane amount of dialogue that it takes ages to localise. At least we should get the two trails in the sky sequels eventually on steam, they are dedicated to getting them out. The others aren't looking too good since I think there might be PS3 only games there and by the time they get to it that console will be long dead. Maybe Falcom will do some remakes though?

Having a wife like Estelle is no bad thing especially if she does the Estelle disapproves face, it cracks me up every time :)

screenshot2014-07-14au3jdr.png

• Advertisement

Having a wife like Estelle is no bad thing especially if she does the Estelle disapproves face, it cracks me up every time :)

screenshot2014-07-14au3jdr.png
    I get that face A LOT! Don't usually find it amusing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

They were never actually called Trails in the Flash, that was just a bad translation by Siliconera :)

TITS: SC is still coming out before them and as long as you've played those two you should be getting MOST of the story

They may not have entirely given up on the other ones either. It's sort of a "hope sen increases the popularity of the franchise so we can go back and do the other ones" thing
    It's very much a labour of love for the people working on it, they really care about this series

In other news, Tales of Beseria has been announced for PS3 & PS4

http://talesofberseria.tales-ch.jp/
    http://gematsu.com/2015/06/tales-berseria-announced-ps4-ps3

it's about a female pirate and she looks awesome, excited already, hope she's as great as Milla was

Well tales in the flash or whatever is kind of a tough title to translate, I think cold steel is a very good interpretation of in.

The trails in the sky sequels are definitely coming but the two after it are kind of now in limbo. At least we know xseed are so dedicated to getting the games out they might bankrupt themselves to get them out. Tom from xseed is always fighting for the series and it was him that pushed for brandish.

Sieghardt wrote: »
    They were never actually called Trails in the Flash, that was just a bad translation by Siliconera :)

TITS: SC is still coming out before them and as long as you've played those two you should be getting MOST of the story

They may not have entirely given up on the other ones either. It's sort of a "hope sen increases the popularity of the franchise so we can go back and do the other ones" thing
    It's very much a labour of love for the people working on it, they really care about this series

In other news, Tales of Beseria has been announced for PS3 & PS4

http://talesofberseria.tales-ch.jp/
    http://gematsu.com/2015/06/tales-berseria-announced-ps4-ps3

it's about a female pirate and she looks awesome, excited already, hope she's as great as Milla was

Great news and all but eh.......when will we see over here? we still have no release for Zestria

With Region free gaming who cares :P

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Give it a couple of weeks, Bamco have quite a bit to announce at E3 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listening to / reading Richard Eisenbeis on USgamer and Kotaku on Xenoblade Chronicles X, the game sounds like an absolute chore to play :/ Endless fetch quests and busywork? No thanks.

With Region free gaming who cares :P

I care -_-

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Listening to / reading Richard Eisenbeis on USgamer and Kotaku on Xenoblade Chronicles X, the game sounds like an absolute chore to play :/ Endless fetch quests and busywork? No thanks.

Xenoblade Chronicles had that as well. An insane amount of quests, but you really didn't need to do the vast majority of them. Hopefully this is the same.

Just the same as Xenoblade Chronicles then, still reckon Also sprach Zarathustra has been the best game in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

He was saying that the main quests require certain levels to unlock, so seems like there is more of a need to spend a lot of time out in the field.

I found the usgamer people were very down on the original Xenoblade and the reason being they hadn't enough time to invest in it. If Xenoblade Chronicles X is the same as the first where going exploring completes most quests naturally then I've no problem with it. It never felt like busy work in Xenoblade since exploring was so much fun and you never had to complete all quests either, the ones I completed exploring were enough. Locking out story areas with a level cap is actually a good idea since a lot of people got frustrated with Xenoblade and put it down because they critical pathed the story without exploring and usually ended up under levelled for the boss. Levels made a huge difference in the first game.

I've not played Xenosaga 3 but 1 was terrible and 2 was utter poison and I never finished it. Heard a lot of good things about 3 but the story up to that point was absolute nonsense and I hated the battle system so hope they made some big changes. Xenoblade is by far my favourite thing the team has done so far, it's a much more coherent experience with a battle system that actually works.

Just realised Richard Eisenbeis is the guy that Kat Bailey has on from Japan talking about RPGs and he really didn't like Xenoblade either so take from that what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Release date for Tales of Zestiria has been announced. It will be available on October 16th for PS3, PS4 and October 20th for PC.

Release date for Tales of Zestiria has been announced. It will be available on October 16th for PS3, PS4 and October 20th for PC.

Sweet, it was also announced today that Tales of Zestiria will have its own anime series in 2016 and its being done by Ufotable ( Fate series, Kara no Kyoukai, God Eater ect... )

About time, Great too see coming too ps4 too.
    Xenji wrote: »
    Had to get a few bits off VGP, so went with the 2 day DHL delivery, they release games early sometimes.

Did you get charged import duty?

About time, Great too see coming too ps4 too.

Did you get charged import duty?

Nope, 5th time going with DHL from them and everything has been fine so far.

Finished up Steins;Gate today, plays great on the Vita, you can easily put 30 hours plus into it, if you played the original PC version it will probably take you less.

operation abyss: new tokyo legacy is not an easy game :/

• Advertisement

New NIER and Fire Emblem

2 nice surprises at E3 for me

FFVII remake can do one

Advertisement