Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Richard Graham hands in his reignation as Force coach, off the join the Reds next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The formation of the Rebels has really screwed the Force over. Have to feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I hate the new conference set up, Brumbies are third on 24 points, ahead of the Bulls on 29 points, Highlanders with 26 and Hurricanes with 25 points

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

noone likes the new setup, its wack...

from last weekend its looking like crusaders, brumbies and bulls for me. Would like to see the young brumbies go far, they are improving with everygame. Stormers shouldve done better vs the Crusaders but got sucked into an ''orrible kicking battle of which they came off second best. None of the s15 games impressed me that much mind

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

The new set up is completely to appease the Australians and to get a national competition for them. NZ & SA have proper domestic competitions steeped in history Australia has nothing. Expanding the Super 12/14/15 was their way of getting a situation where their top level players get more game time and they can have a national champion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

just read on skysports that Ruaidhri Murphy has signed a new two year deal with the brumbies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

endabob1 wrote: »
    The new set up is completely to appease the Australians and to get a national competition for them. NZ & SA have proper domestic competitions steeped in history Australia has nothing. Expanding the Super 12/14/15 was their way of getting a situation where their top level players get more game time and they can have a national champion

What total crap. New Zealand have a domestic competition that loses them money every year, so an expanded Super Rugby competition and a scaled back NPC is in their interest. South Africa wanted the conference system and even wanted the finals to consist of the top two teams from each country regardless of their table position. The conference system could also allow them to add a 6th team in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

What total crap. New Zealand have a domestic competition that loses them money every year, so an expanded Super Rugby competition and a scaled back NPC is in their interest. South Africa wanted the conference system and even wanted the finals to consist of the top two teams from each country regardless of their table position. The conference system could also allow them to add a 6th team in the future.

Used to love the NPC when I lived in Kiwi, but its lost its appeal with the saturation of Super Rugby. Currie Cup is a great competition though. The Southern Kings are going to be an incredible embarassment in the S15 next season.

Has anyone seen Murphy play for the Brumbies? How's he getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Yes. Watched Brumbies vs Rebels last wkd. He started and played pretty well. The Rebels were particularly rubbish mind ;) We'll see how the Brumbies do in their next two games at Blue Bulls (Jake White's old team) and the Golden Lions. Murphy is back on the bench for the Bulls game this Saturday

Used to love the NPC when I lived in Kiwi, but its lost its appeal with the saturation of Super Rugby. Currie Cup is a great competition though. The Southern Kings are going to be an incredible embarassment in the S15 next season.

Yeah their Currie Cup results are eh less than impressive.

• Advertisement

What bit of it is crap?
    The Conference Structure proposal was formulated by ARU and was only agreed after much negotiations with NZ & SA.
    ARU need Super Rugby much more than NZ or SA because they have no domestic competition.
    The Currie Cup still attracts big crowds in particular and the development of Super Rugby is always weighed against devaluing the CC, even last year in a RWC year as soon as Bok players were released from duty they were drafted in to the CC Semi Finals.
    SARU in particular wanted 16 teams because they had guaranteed a team from Eastern Province and are still working on proposals to make it happen. SARU wanted a top 2 from the conference as opposed to the original proposal of a Super6 which would have meant more games, thus over-running in to the final stages of the CC.

Especially considering they're not even in the top division....
    http://www.supersport.com/rugby/currie-cup-first-division/news/111014/Cavaliers_romp_to_First_Division_title

Standard wise anything outside the Premier CC division is pretty poor, I would think 2nd division in England, B&I Cup level.

endabob1 wrote: »
    What bit of it is crap?
    The Conference Structure proposal was formulated by ARU and was only agreed after much negotiations with NZ & SA.
    ARU need Super Rugby much more than NZ or SA because they have no domestic competition.
    The Currie Cup still attracts big crowds in particular and the development of Super Rugby is always weighed against devaluing the CC, even last year in a RWC year as soon as Bok players were released from duty they were drafted in to the CC Semi Finals.
    SARU in particular wanted 16 teams because they had guaranteed a team from Eastern Province and are still working on proposals to make it happen. SARU wanted a top 2 from the conference as opposed to the original proposal of a Super6 which would have meant more games, thus over-running in to the final stages of the CC.

I don't remember hearing about a Super 6, open to correction. Having 2 teams from each country would have made the inter-conference games even more important and would make a team's position on the table irrelevant. The sad reality for New Zealand is that they can't sustain a domestic competition without Super Rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

All three teams that Southern kings can draw players from are outside the top division. Maybe they will be able to lure a few players with the promise of Super Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Richard Graham hands in his reignation as Force coach, off the join the Reds next year :rolleyes:

got the sack today

All three teams that Southern kings can draw players from are outside the top division. Maybe they will be able to lure a few players with the promise of Super Rugby.

If the Cheetahs/Lions are kicked out you'd think they'll pick up a lot of their players. That'd be an awful shame though.

Will Genia is apparently walking out on the Reds to join the Force with Pocock to re-sign as well this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Genia to the force?! That is awesome! And Pocock re-signing is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Link? Big loss for Reds if it's true.

Mind you, with how they've been playing I'd jump ship too

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Game over for the Force after that try. Great trip for The Stormers all told

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Crusaders beat Waratahs on the road this morning 37 - 33. Taylor still playing at 10 and taking all the kicks for Crusaders amassed 17 points. Richie 'the best is yet to come' McCaw came off the bench at 55 minutes - his first outing since the RWC but I didn't see the game so I don't know how he got on.

24667.jpg

Richie McCaw shrugs off the attentions of Rocky Elsom (?) during the encounter.
    Getty Images.
    http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/image/163414.html?page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Crusaders beat Waratahs on the road this morning 37 - 33. Taylor still playing at 10 and taking all the kicks for Crusaders amassed 17 points. Richie 'the best is yet to come' McCaw came off the bench at 55 minutes - his first outing since the RWC but I didn't see the game so I don't know how he got on.

Richie McCaw shrugs off the attentions of Rocky Elsom (?) during the encounter.
    Getty Images.
    http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/image/163414.html?page=1

Match is being replayed on Sky Sports 2 at 12:30

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Will Genia is apparently walking out on the Reds to join the Force with Pocock to re-sign as well this week :D

If Genia goes I'd expect them to have a new halfback pairing in a year or two so. Without Genia I think Cooper is an indulgence at the moment.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Genia goes I'd expect them to have a new halfback pairing in a year or two so. Without Genia I think Cooper is an indulgence at the moment.

Well he's done a u-turn and put pen to paper on a two year deal with the Reds.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/will-genia-agrees-to-new-two-year-deal-with-queensland-reds/story-fn8tn89d-1226342352160
    CHAMPION halfback Will Genia has agreed to re-sign with the Queensland Reds after an urgent round of talks brokered a new two-year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Cipriani is Sale bound, washed down with a healthy dose of "Man Tears"
    With Johnson gone as Coach, he might even get to cut the Oranges at half time if he keeps his nose clean.:D

Best of luck to him at Sale Sharks and any future with England, Rugby has enough stories of wasted talent.

"Like many a relationship the one between Danny Cipriani and the Melbourne Rebels ended in tears.But not for the reasons everyone expected.
    The mercurial Englishman and the Rebels parted ways on Monday, setting social media alight with questions about his latest indiscretion.
    The Rebels defended the 24-year-old five-eighth, who has a history of off-field behavioural issues, and said Cipriani had simply decided to leave early so he could join Sale Sharks in northern England in time for the start of their season.
    The tears, according to Cipriani, came after telling his Rebels teammates of his decision, leaving them to face the Bulls on Friday night without him or their injured Wallaby James O'Connor.
    Cipriani, who is particularly close to O'Connor and fellow Wallaby Kurtley Beale, tweeted he couldn't hold back the tears when telling the players his news.
    "So I said goodbye to the boys: got 5/6 words out couldn't hold my tears back. Thank u truly for making it special. Met some amazing people," Cipriani tweeted."

wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8459506

O'Connor is a long term injury and they still released Cipriani. Says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Cipriani has put in a few shockers recently for them tho. Was taking a bit of notice of him due to his impending return to sale and it wasn't good! His decision making and execution of simple moves were not what you'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

O'Connor is a long term injury and they still released Cipriani. Says a lot.
    I was just looking up more about this and 3rd paragraph says "the 21 year old....". and he has nearly 40 international caps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Crusaders went down, unexpectedly, to Melbourne Rebels this morning (28-19). A word of warning - bad things come in threes and so far this weekend two of my teams (Munster and Crusaders) have lost which leaves just Leinster to go. :D

• Advertisement

Hurricanes beat Highlanders away today, they've been great this season considering their horror shows off the field last season and subsequent mass exodus.

Advertisement