Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Article on UIE - Cost vs Bandwidth

• 21-07-2001 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had nothing to do this morning so I wrote an article on the relative cost of an unmetered service versus the bandwidth provided. It turns out that the 56k modem is by far the most expensive way of using the Internet, especially when compared to services like Chorus, Tiscali and even Eircom ADSL.

Anyway - the whole article can be found under the "Cost vs Bandwidth" section of UIE - http://uie.8m.com .

While Im here - to the IrelandOffline folks - is it alright if I keep mentioning updates to my UIE website here?? It is your forum after all. My reasoning is that everyone who is even remotely interested in the Internet in Ireland comes here, and I think having links here benefits everyone. But I am using your IrelandOffline forum for advertising my own site....

Let me know.

--Chris Walker--
    UIE - http://uie.8m.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Id like to know where you got the info about eircom having a 1gb download limit?

1gb is nothing........

Its been mentioned on these boards a few times, and has caused a lot of contraversy. And everyone though that Chorus were bad enough with a 3gb limit.

--Chris--
    http://uie.8m.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris_533976:
    While Im here - to the IrelandOffline folks - is it alright if I keep mentioning updates to my UIE website here?? It is your forum after all. </font>

Just my opinion - whilst we 'sort of' own this forum, it is a public one. I personally have no problem with you posting stuff like above as it is adding to the debate. If you were using it purely to advertise your site, I'm sure people here would soon tell you to p*** off smile.gif

Martin Harran

Cheers - much appreciated.......

--Chris--

Hey, guys, just a suggestion...

As we all are pulling on the same string - in (hopefully) one direction why not team up even more?
    Mentioning the other website on the own is a good start. Wouldn't it be fantastic to show all the telcos that interest-groups that formed independently team up to show them how seriously we are to get an affordable unmetered service here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hey, guys, just a suggestion...

As we all are pulling on the same string - in (hopefully) one direction why not team up even more?
    Mentioning the other website on the own is a good start. Wouldn't it be fantastic to show all the telcos that interest-groups that formed independently team up to show them how seriously we are to get an affordable unmetered service here in Ireland.

Chris,

I dont really think that a 'rumour' about a download cap and an average of the guesses ppl have made as to how much Eircom adsl will cost can give even a remotely accurate figure wink.gif

**update**
    Ah i noticed the disclaimer down the bottom....should add the download limit to it as it can be misleading.

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 22-07-2001).]

Advertisement