Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The burden of proof

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I have never, ever seen you adhere to this!!
    I should have specified that on this forum A and B are rarely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

bonkey wrote: »
    I would strongly disagree. Coloquially, they are often interchanged...which is where the root of the problem lies. They are not interchangeable.
    I believe when people say "proof" generally they actually mean evidence.
    Everyone should use the word evidence, but the reality is that the word proof is used in its place.
    bonkey wrote: »
    That would be a case where sufficient evidence was provided that the matter could be considered proven.

Sufficient evidence can, therefore, be considered to be equivalent to proof.
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I believe some things which most people would call crazy (Aliens).

I disagree that most people would call a belief that there are aliens crazy , and the reason for that is most of my relations have seen ufos here in Ireland , and these are people spread out in different parts of this country , i'm wondering does' that idea you have that' most people would call crazy (aliens)' come from the mainstream media , you just have to listen to the media here in ireland , every time they discuss this subject they start sniggering and laughing , i think its something wrong with our media here in Ireland , maybe they can't discuss things like grown adults !
    Or maybe its people who live in the city , that are surrounded by buildings never see the flying saucers' , sure they can't even see the chemtrails , so it might be that most city slickers' would see a belief in aliens' as crazy .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Would you think it'd be most? I would have thought it quite a small number, are there any irish ufology sites?

I'd like to point out UFO does not equal alien. I reckon a lot of people realize that the atmosphere is weird and they are not experts in either aircraft or meteorological phenomona.

Undergod wrote: »

I'd like to point out UFO does not equal alien. I reckon a lot of people realize that the atmosphere is weird and they are not experts in either aircraft or meteorological phenomona.

If you were driving down around red cross in wicklow/arklow late at night and suddenly there was beams of light spinning all around inside your car , coming from a circular craft just metres above your car , i don't think you would reject the idea that it might be aliens.

• Advertisement

And do you reckon that most people would have had experiences like that? I'd imagine that would account for a very small number of ufo sightings.

To clarify here, I'm not really addressing the existence of otherwise of ETs, just trying to understand you and talking more generally about attitudes to ET.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,140 ✭✭✭✭Penn

espinolman wrote: »
    I disagree that most people would call a belief that there are aliens crazy , and the reason for that is most of my relations have seen ufos here in Ireland , and these are people spread out in different parts of this country , i'm wondering does' that idea you have that' most people would call crazy (aliens)' come from the mainstream media , you just have to listen to the media here in ireland , every time they discuss this subject they start sniggering and laughing , i think its something wrong with our media here in Ireland , maybe they can't discuss things like grown adults !
    Or maybe its people who live in the city , that are surrounded by buildings never see the flying saucers' , sure they can't even see the chemtrails , so it might be that most city slickers' would see a belief in aliens' as crazy .

It doesn't come from mainstream media or anything. I believe that in some solar system in the entire galaxy, there are probably other forms of life. But in no way, shape, or form do I believe aliens have ever visited this planet, or any other planet in our solar system. Thats why I say its generally perceived to be a crazy notion, because thats what most people presume you mean. That being said, I don't go around discussing it with many people, not because I'm afraid they might call me crazy or laugh, but because it is a discussion which would bore me to tears. There's nothing to discuss save for my own imagination.

As for what happened to your relations, I don't know. I wasn't there, and this is an event which was described to you, and then described to me, so I don't know what may have been lost in translation, so to speak. So I couldn't really give you an opinion on that.

I reckon a lot of people realize that the atmosphere is weird and they are not experts in either aircraft or meteorological phenomona.

The athmosphere is weird all right , ever since they started chemtrailling it about 9 years' ago , thats something else the city slickers probably have'nt woken up to yet , they are just so unobservant .

Okay, I can't really talk about chemtrails as I don't know much about it. I'll start a new thread and we can discuss that there.

Still, I don't think many people have had experiences like the one you described, and I would guess that the level of interest in UFOs/belief in ETs is pretty low in Ireland.

Edit: actually, a few chemtrail threads exist, I don't really have time to read them now, maybe come back this in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Would you think it'd be most? I would have thought it quite a small number, are there any irish ufology sites?

Here you go, and run by a Boardsie no less! :D
    http://www.ufoi.org/

I'd like to point out UFO does not equal alien.

QFT

• Advertisement

Thats why I say its generally perceived to be a crazy notion
    The suggestion that it is a crazy notion is offensive to me , so i would have to ask you where you got this idea , when was it and who exactly said it ?
    Was it a poster on this forum?
    Where is this coming from ?
    What is the source ?
    Is it coming from films ? Television soaps' ?
    Is it Psychologists/Pschyiatrists is that where you are getting this idea from ,are they trying to say people are crazy for having a belief ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,140 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The suggestion that it is a crazy notion is offensive to me , so i would have to ask you where you got this idea , when was it and who exactly said it ?
    Was it a poster on this forum?
    Where is this coming from ?
    What is the source ?

Ok, I apologise and didn't mean to cause offense. I just meant that in my opinion, a lot of people (myself included) would generally disregard stories about aliens and spaceship sightings as there is no proof to suggest they are real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Ok, I apologise and didn't mean to cause offense. I just meant that in my opinion, a lot of people (myself included) would generally disregard stories about aliens and spaceship sightings as there is no proof to suggest they are real.

I have to say I agree with you. I think there is a reasonable likelihood that life exists somewhere in the universe, I'd like to think so anyway. But there's no real evidence of this and given the vast distances involved it's very unlikely they are visiting earth. And even less likely they are probing some rednecks in the southern US.

Is it coincidental that a lot of the experiences that people supposedly have with aliens correlate with some forms of sleep apnoea?

And espinolman you haven't offered one iota of evidence for chemtrails other than your belief that the clouds look like chemtrails. Feel free to bring back one of the old threads and show any evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Okay, I can't really talk about chemtrails as I don't know much about it. I'll start a new thread and we can discuss that there.

Still, I don't think many people have had experiences like the one you described, and I would guess that the level of interest in UFOs/belief in ETs is pretty low in Ireland.

Edit: actually, a few chemtrail threads exist, I don't really have time to read them now, maybe come back this in a few days.
    i'll be looking forward to a discussion about ufo's/and belief in et's

jonbravo wrote: »
    i'll be looking forward to a discussion about ufo's/and belief in et's

Why don't you start a thread on it then , the thing is i'm not sure which forum to discuss it in , this or the paraormal forum .

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Why don't you start a thread on it then , the thing is i'm not sure which forum to discuss it in , this or the paraormal forum .
    paranormal is the place ....... but ct's forum is a place to put across theories[of which im working on one for at least a mouth now and i'll share within a week if i can].

Advertisement