Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stew.....

• 13-10-2004 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

so how do you like you're stew?

My favourite is my Nanny's stew - she never bothered using oxtail and always had a "clear" stew. She used to tell the butcher she needed a bone for the dog (which she didn't) and she would let this boil with the stewing beef which would give a real oily flavour. She also added carrots, parsnips, turnip and whole onions and it was delicious. She did her pototoes separate which were really floury. Unfortunately she passed away in 1992 and no-one can make it the same - my Grandad comes a close second.

I usually make a mince stew and use Oxtail soup and tonnes of veg which is really tasty.

Can't stand rasher and sausage stew that my Aunt often makes or chicken stew.

My stepdad adds so many spices and stuff to his it tastes more like a casserole but still yummy.

Do anyone eat stew anymore and what's the nicest one you've tastest? Also any tips on making it tastier etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i eat stew all the time.
    when i was really wee my mum used to make what she called babystew and for years i couldn't figure out what it was and why we didn't have it anymore. turns out it was just that she used minced steak, instead of frying steak, and that she added the spuds to it, all chopped up, when it was cookin so it was basically a big mush, hence the name i spose.
    i make my stew basically the same way now except i used more veg and less meat on account of being a poor student. and i normally add a bit of flour and cook my spuds seperately.
    oxo cubes are very important i think, and a good variety of veg - carrots, onion, parsnips, mushrooms; but deffinately not peppers, don't know why but they just are not good.
    cottage pie is a great variation :)

i never knew i had so much to say ab out stew!

Advertisement