Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you eat "illness" sweets when not ill?

Options
  • 17-09-2004 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Do you ever eat sweets that are supposed to be for helping with cold and flu symptoms when you're not sick? (Soothers, those Vicks sweets etc) It feels wrong yet they taste so good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yup! They're too nice not to esp cherry Soothers....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably not the best idea if they contain drugs - paracetemol, pain killers, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Yes Halls Soothers in blackcurrant flavour are lovely but sickly though after the 3rd one. Remember when I was a kid and pretending to my Mam I had a cough so she'd get me some Lockets!

seamus wrote:
    Probably not the best idea if they contain drugs - paracetemol, pain killers, etc.

Lol I know but sometimes you just have to live dangerously!! Careful tho I was reading packet and said may have laxative effects so don't eat too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lol I know but sometimes you just have to live dangerously!! Careful tho I was reading packet and said may have laxative effects so don't eat too many!
    Funnily enough, you'll be scared how many common or garden foods will have that warning on them. Check out the wrapper of your favourite packet of mints next time.

• Advertisement

Yep I've noticed htat, luckily I've managed to get over my Polos addiction :)

Yep I've noticed that, luckily I've managed to get over my Polos addiction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hm, that gives a whole other dimension to "Polos, the mint with the hole"!

Lol thats disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Will only ever go near these when I am ill. I heard about Graham Norton's joke while I was dying of a cold and sucking on a fisherman's friend. :o

Anything with paracetemol in it should be on presciption only. There are far better substitutes anyhow.

Why do I give them a wide berth when healthy? I once tried air-waves chewing gum when a bit stuffed up during a flight. Did the job, but I had a serious cold for the next week :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't think there are any sweets on the market with paracetemol in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yeah. I beat into Halls Soothers on a regular basis. I smoke though, so I can generally be considered to be among the sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i had an addiction to polo mints before aswell didnt get the whole laxative effects!!! also i remember reading somewhere that they can lower your sperm count as well :eek: :eek: and as for halls soothers they are too nice to leave alone just for when you are sick uum strawberry soothers ahhh

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hall's Soothers, peach and raspberry. Tastes like peach schnapps. Just yummy.

Advertisement