Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Ubee EVW3226

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Exactly what I thought, find the WAN address on the Ubee. If its a 10.*.*.* address, your on Dual stack. You will need to be taken off of that to get port-forwarding to work.

I wonder if bridging it gives a proper IPv4 address.

You are right there. Dual stack is the problem, but thats not the end of it.

For us CCTV users,etc since UPC doesn't not give out Static IP's, Ubee EVW3226 doesn't not support DynDns function either,which makes it completely useless in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I cant seem to bridge this modem. It keeps timing out when the router reboots. Is there another way other than in the earlier post? The speeds are awful. I am gettin 40mb download from 240mb. This is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

hi ubee 3226 router, need to configure security dvr hikvision 7204 to 80 554 445 ports, can this be done, my last router upc cisco 2425 could no problem, any hints, cheers by the way speeds terrible 34 down 21 up , waste of man hours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

I cant seem to bridge this modem. It keeps timing out when the router reboots. Is there another way other than in the earlier post? The speeds are awful. I am gettin 40mb download from 240mb. This is awful.

No luck here either. I can access the page to Switch Modes, which I set to 'Bridge'. However, when the modem reboots it still reverts to Router Modem with a gateway IP of 192.168.0.1

When I unplug the coax and repeat the above, then when it reboots it does switch into Bridge mode and the modem IP changes to 192.168.100.1. However, when I then reconnect the coax, the modem reverts back to Router modem and the IP changes back to 192.168.0.1.

I remember seeing similar behaviour being described for the Technicolor modems where they always reverted to router mode when the coax was connected.

Can this modem be forced into Bridge mode using the SNMP method like the Technicolor?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

Honestly don't know what people on this board are saying about this router, i find the wireless range to be excellent. Comes with the standard row of features you'd expect from a proprietary box, works better than the horizon box anyways so i'm happy with that.

No complaints really.

• Advertisement

todd10k wrote: »
    Honestly don't know what people on this board are saying about this router, i find the wireless range to be excellent. Comes with the standard row of features you'd expect from a proprietary box, works better than the horizon box anyways so i'm happy with that.

No complaints really.

You'll find theres no complaints about the wifi or internet.
    For an ordinary user of internet this box is ok, with good wifi range and good signal. Thats about it.

But for pro users with need of using different ports, firewalls, ip address,etc this router is extremely limited.

chris1970 wrote: »
    hi ubee 3226 router, need to configure security dvr hikvision 7204 to 80 554 445 ports, can this be done, my last router upc cisco 2425 could no problem, any hints, cheers by the way speeds terrible 34 down 21 up , waste of man hours :(

Not on this router Im afraid.

Dynamic DNS is not supported and IPv6 addresses are not recognisable by most of the equipment out there.

As of yet, I can't see a DVR work with this setup.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok folks really interesting news. I was just down at my friend and neighbours place and he has this new modem and I just spent the last half hour playing with it.

Turns out his one does have the advanced menu, with port forwarding etc. Exactly the same menu as the Technicolor I have, with just the addition of a tab called Wifi4All.

I didn't try actually forwarding, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

It seems the difference between him and you guys is that he seems to be on IPv4

So it looks like a similar situation as with the Technicolor, if you have a IPv6 address the extra features are locked down, but if you have a IPv4 address, you have a lot more options. I believe people with the Technicolor router in this situation were able to get UPC to switch them over to an IPv4 address and thus unlock the extra features. I'd guess the same is possible with this router.

So folks, contact UPC and get them to switch you to IPv4 *

I also tried bridging his router, but no luck there. However I did get some interesting results, which people with more experience might be able to use to figure out how to bridge this modem.

Running the following command against 192.168.0.1 from a mac didn't work:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

However running the same command against 192.168.100.1 gave the following interesting results:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1
    Error in packet.
    Reason: noAccess
    Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fearanphoist

some interesting stuff here , "boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/1"

i might be worth asking them to switch back to ipv4 alright. i'll see if this fixes it , lucky i left it till tomorrow morning to switch ISP .............

thanks bk.

some interesting stuff here also, "boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/1"

i might be worth asking them to switch back to ipv4 alright. i'll see if this fixes it , lucky i left it till tomorrow morning to switch ISP .............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bk wrote: »
    Ok folks really interesting news. I was just down at my friend and neighbours place and he has this new modem and I just spent the last half hour playing with it.

Turns out his one does have the advanced menu, with port forwarding etc. Exactly the same menu as the Technicolor I have, with just the addition of a tab called Wifi4All.

I didn't try actually forwarding, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

It seems the difference between him and you guys is that he seems to be on IPv4

So it looks like a similar situation as with the Technicolor, if you have a IPv6 address the extra features are locked down, but if you have a IPv4 address, you have a lot more options. I believe people with the Technicolor router in this situation were able to get UPC to switch them over to an IPv4 address and thus unlock the extra features. I'd guess the same is possible with this router.

So folks, contact UPC and get them to switch you to IPv4 *

I also tried bridging his router, but no luck there. However I did get some interesting results, which people with more experience might be able to use to figure out how to bridge this modem.

Running the following command against 192.168.0.1 from a mac didn't work:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

However running the same command against 192.168.100.1 gave the following interesting results:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1
    Error in packet.
    Reason: noAccess
    Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0

That's the same as my menu now when I look at it .(wonder if they have pushed an update?) ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thanks bk.

some interesting stuff here also, "boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/1"

That makes the issue very clear now IMO.

So if you are on DS-Lite (IPv6) then port forwarding etc. won't work and you should PM UPC: Reps and ask them to switch you to IPv4

Once this change is made, you will be able to port forward, etc. and we maybe even able to figure out how to bridge this modem.

BTW this DS-Lite stuff is scary as hell. I'll be fuming mad if they switch me to DS-Lite, it will break the VPN I use for working from home, etc.

What the hell are UPC thinking! Sometimes they are such a weird and uneven company!!

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

So if you are on DS-Lite (IPv6) then port forwarding etc. won't work and you should PM UPC: Reps and ask them to switch you to IPv4

Once this change is made, you will be able to port forward, etc. and we maybe even able to figure out how to bridge this modem.

BTW this DS-Lite stuff is scary as hell. I'll be fuming mad if they switch me to DS-Lite, it will break the VPN I use for working from home, etc.

What the hell are UPC thinking! Sometimes they are such a weird and uneven company!!

That seems correct , Ive just tested mine on http://test-ipv6.com/ and I am on IPv4 with No IPv6 address detected and I can switch to bridged mode . May try putting it back and see if its more stable than the first time I tried it .

sharkman wrote: »
    That seems correct , Ive just tested mine on http://test-ipv6.com/ and I am on IPv4 with No IPv6 address detected and I can switch to bridged mode . May try putting it back and see if its more stable than the first time I tried it .

Did UPC done that for you or can it be done manually?

Woohoo, I've never been so happy that fail a test! :D

When you say you bridged your modem. Do you mean you bridged a UBee EVW3226 modem? If yes, can you detail how you did it? It would be very useful for others with this modem to know how.
    Xpro wrote: »
    Did UPC done that for you or can it be done manually?

No, you have to contact UPC to do it. AS I mentioned above, send a PM to UPC: Reps, and they can switch you.

Woohoo, I've never been so happy that fail a test! :D

When you say you bridged your modem. Do you mean you bridged a UBee EVW3226 modem? If yes, can you detail how you did it? It would be very useful for others with this modem to know how.

No, you have to contact UPC to do it. AS I mentioned above, send a PM to UPC: Reps, and they can switch you.

I assume UPC put me on IPv4 (no request was made) , yes the EVW3266 was put in Bridge mode , here's how :

By default the device comes in router mode, with WLAN activated which is fine for most people but not really for my setup. Here’s how to put the device in bridge mode, so to disable the routing functionalities including WLAN.

access the device webserver at 192.168.0.1
    login with the default credentials admin:admin
    go to the system page
    you don’t have any options there…
    upc1

5. load the following URL: http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode
    6. tadaam a new tab appears

upc2
    7. choose bridge mode then Save
    8. your router will then reboot in bridge mode
    9. it’s IP address will change to 192.168.100.1

The config can of course be reverted, either by using the hidden URL or maintaining the reset button in the back of the router.

Cool. we are getting somewhere now:cool:

Anyone knows how to disable wifi4all?

I have disabled the horizon wifi free on My upc, but Wifi4all ( Horizon-Free) is still enabled in the router and broadcasting?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

It will also kill the bridging and revert your router to limited UPC router mode ( and anyone with dual stack lite enabled won't be able to re-bridge). We had a few queries out to UPC a couple of months back about it on a thread on their talk to forum. They won't give a heads up prior to switching or put you on a don't switch list. Not good.

Awesome sharkman. I was aware of this switch mode, but on the Technicolor TC7200 bridging in this way causes it to be very unstable and restart frequently. You had to use the SNMP method for a stable bridge.

How are you finding the stability with bridging like this?

If this is working and stable. then this is great news, it means that as long as you are on IPv4, there is really no difference between this modem and the Technicolor/Thomson.
    Anyone knows how to disable wifi4all?

I have disabled the horizon wifi free on My upc, but Wifi4all ( Horizon-Free) is still enabled in the router and broadcasting?

Disable all wireless on the UPC modem. Obviously you should only do that if you are using your own wifi router in place of the UPC's wifi.

BTW when you disable wifi free in MyUPC, it may take a few days and a reboot for the change to make it to your UPC modem/router.

Bridge mode will not work on my router. Using the command above i can enter the bridge mode but as soonest the router reboots its back in normal mode.

Also I spent some time playing with port settings
    (192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgAdvancedForwarding)

and even tho I can enable the port forwarding, ports are still closed due to poxy Dual stack and this Ipv6 feature. Not good.

Im lucky in a way that my DVR(CCTV) has a self built dynamic ip updater tool for various DDNS sites, but still this feature is absolutely useless as ports are blocked and the DDNS client tool is sending wierd IPv6 adresses which are not recognised by most of the DDNS providers.

• Advertisement

Awesome sharkman. I was aware of this switch mode, but on the Technicolor TC7200 bridging in this way causes it to be very unstable and restart frequently. You had to use the SNMP method for a stable bridge.

How are you finding the stability with bridging like this?

If this is working and stable. then this is great news, it means that as long as you are on IPv4, there is really no difference between this modem and the Technicolor/Thomson.

Disable all wireless on the UPC modem. Obviously you should only do that if you are using your own wifi router in place of the UPC's wifi.

BTW when you disable wifi free in MyUPC, it may take a few days and a reboot for the change to make it to your UPC modem/router.

I had a few dropouts the first time I tried it and reverted to stock FW , Have it running now for a few hours with no problem (YET) .

and even tho I can enable the port forwarding, ports are still closed due to poxy Dual stack and this Ipv6 feature. Not good.

Im lucky in a way that my DVR(CCTV) has a self built dynamic ip updater tool for various DDNS sites, but still this feature is absolutely useless as ports are blocked and the DDNS client tool is sending wierd IPv6 adresses which are not recognised by most of the DDNS providers.

I have requested the IP change be interesting to see what happens, has to be the cause........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

UPC in Ireland seems to be the testbed for Liberty Global, the parent company. IPV4 is becoming expensive since we are in theory running out of it, if they can get a large percentage of their customers onto IPV6 then they can sell their IPV4 address space at a premium. And they have a considerable amount of ipv4 address space.

The reality is, the vast majority of customers they won't notice the difference in day to day browsing of facebook. So it will cost them nothing to try it. But for anybody who wants to do anything remotely specific, its going to become a nightmare because ipv6 isn't there yet. Its a cart before the horse sort of situation here in Ireland now.

One for the techs:

After I phoned UPC they changed my speed profile and the speeds are now much higher.
    My macbook is hitting around 90mb over wifi on 2.4ghz and around 190mb constant on 5ghz on wifi too:eek:

But over ethernet, I can't get passed 30mb. Thats with cat5e cable.
    I have tried every device I have in the house and all the same. ( including MacBooks gigabit port, with no joy)

any ideas?
    Thanks

Xpro, very strange!!

Have you tried more then one ethernet cable, maybe it is damaged?

I assume you are connecting the macbook directly to the router, no other devices (switch, hubs, etc.) in between?

No harm in turning off the modem and router for a minute and back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

One for the techs:

After I phoned UPC they changed my speed profile and the speeds are now much higher.
    My macbook is hitting around 90mb over wifi on 2.4ghz and around 190mb constant on 5ghz on wifi too:eek:

I have tried every device I have in the house and all the same. ( including MacBooks gigabit port, with no joy)

any ideas?
    Thanks

I had a similar issue over ethernet when i got the box on friday and was only getting 50mb max. I changed the Cat 5e cable for another and then i hit 240mb download. must have been a faulty cat 5e. Getting 98mb download through laptop over 2.4ghz and 120mb on my phone over 5ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

One for the techs:

any ideas?
    Thanks

As another poster said, change the cable. 30mb is bang on for a half duplex 100mb connection, which it would negotiate if the cable was messed up on one of the pairs.

Right Lads some good news today!

It really depends to who you talk in UPC. Some people are on the ball and some just don't have a clue on whats going on, unfortunately!

I spoke to a sound chap today who managed to disable the Dual Stack for me, Wifi4all and only now router seems to be fully accessible.

When I say fully accessible, I mean all the firewall and port forwarding is now there to be used.

According to Ubee manual, this is one hell of a router with great features and excellent signals, but that pretty much depends on UPC and their remote control over it.

Im happy to say my CCTV system now works 100%.

One more problem to resolve tho:

Very low speeds over ethernet, I tried 3 cables so far and it won't go pass 30mb. While on 5ghz speeds are unreal!:cool:

Thanks for all the help here

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

Right Lads some good news today!

It really depends to who you talk in UPC. Some people are on the ball and some just don't have a clue on whats going on, unfortunately!

I spoke to a sound chap today who managed to disable the Dual Stack for me, Wifi4all and only now router seems to be fully accessible.

When I say fully accessible, I mean all the firewall and port forwarding is now there to be used.

According to Ubee manual, this is one hell of a router with great features and excellent signals, but that pretty much depends on UPC and their remote control over it.

Im happy to say my CCTV system now works 100%.

One more problem to resolve tho:

Very low speeds over ethernet, I tried 3 cables so far and it won't go pass 30mb. While on 5ghz speeds are unreal!:cool:

Thanks for all the help here

I was also able to get my DS-Lite disabled and back to ipv4 after talking to UPC. I'll test it later when i get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I was also able to get my DS-Lite disabled and back to ipv4 after talking to UPC. I'll test it later when i get home.

For all those getting UPC to disable DS-Lite and enable IPV4 I wonder if UPC will in future push firmware updates intentionally or not that will break this functionality over and over. UPC should come out with a clear policy statement on this to give clarity to their paying customers and future customers about what is supported or not. More and more average Joe's are buying IP cameras and looking for external access so the issue isn't just confined to the real geeks

Advertisement