Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

list of exchanges with less than 24Mbs available

• 18-07-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

We are compiling a list of exchanges with bad backhaul, in light of the current sales pitch of only 24Mb being available.

If your exchange is only 3Mbs or indeed is only 8Mbs please let us know.

So far we have :
    Sneem
    Kilmihil
    Ballycotton
    Golden

If you know of such an exchange please add it in a reply...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Where exactly do you find this? I've got the eircom D1000 modem and I'm looking at Maintenance > DSL line status but I'm not 100% on where to find the max bitrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Innishannon - 7Mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

EGriff wrote: »
    Where exactly do you find this? I've got the eircom D1000 modem and I'm looking at Maintenance > DSL line status but I'm not 100% on where to find the max bitrate.

With eircom modems go to http://192.168.1.254, broadband1 is the password for the older modems and on the D1000 the pass is the security key.

DSL stats will be on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The DSL stats on the modem will only tell you what 'your' connection speed is.
    It doesn't mean that's all that's available in the exchange.

Your line profile could be set that way for a number of reasons.

Didn't Sponge Bob have a google doc going with a list of exchanges/coordinates and the NGN exchanges as they were upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

What happened to SB anyways ?
    Y he banned ?
    He's more like a mod !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

long_b wrote: »
    What happened to SB anyways ?
    Y he banned ?
    He's more like a mod !

A big loss. He was a mine of information and a great contributor here.

Put your number in Eircom's line checker to see the max speed offered at the exchange..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

lockup35 wrote: »
    Put your number in Eircom's line checker to see the max speed offered at the exchange..

^^
    Somebody better post instructions in how to do this properly or this thread is a goner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Bear in mind that a lot of exchanges have two DSLAMs and unless you've requested an upgrade to up-to-24 mbit/s your modem may still report ADSL rather than ADSL2+ as you're on the old DSLAM even though the exchange has ADSL2+ equipment and NGN access.

They also sell up-to-8mbit/s next generation broadband which is ADSL (classic) connected to the NGN.

If you're getting congested connections though, like slow connections in the evenings, then you're more than likely on a non-NGN exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clarenman

3mb line ............getting 1.5mb...............Craughwell,Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

You go to your modem's dsl statistics page (different depending on the modem)
    If your modem has attainable speed that's the speed between you and the DSLAM, some modems also display the real speed.

Anyway then go to http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest/?id=1
    and see what you get. Not perfect but will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

On UPC 150Mb now but was on Vodafone 8Mb and all I ever got was .70Mbps never higher.

Tirellan Area, Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 12282 kbps 668 kbps
    Line Attenuation 30 db 7 db
    Noise Margin 13 db 20 db

Still waiting for my efibre appointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Farmleigh Exchange Max Speed 2.5mb

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

Ardara exchange in Donegal. 7Mbit (ADSL1) is the max we can get. I'm close to the exchange and get 6Mbit myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Heres one for ya

Golden, Co. Tipperary

1m or 3mb broadband

****ing pathetic. The 56k speeds of todays age

And I got letters from Eircom to proof it too

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Here ya go Ireland offline

fB4Iu5l.jpg

Since 2010 no sign what so ever of an upgrade and even this week I get a NO again

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Gleneely, Culdaff and Clonmany, Inishowen Co. Donegal

speed = 0 bps

No Eircom broadband at all. Still waiting.

To check what the max speed on the exchange is, fill in the details in the link below whether you're an Eircom customer or not.

https://secure.eircom.net/talktime/talktime-evolution-flow?execution=e1s2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I already asked an Eircom rep about this last week. His response.

Hi Cheerful Spring,

I've just checked your line and the max your line can hold is up to 7mb download speeds.

It seems the website is advising wrong info however I just checked this with operations who said it says (up to) 24mb depending on what the line can hold. Also this just applies to lines served by exchanges which have been upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband).

I do see why this would lead you to think this is misinformation but the (up to) has been advised. I'm sorry if this caused any disappointment and/or inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

i'm on the exchange at Bekan Cross which is roughly halfway between Claremorris and Ballyhaunis..i'm getting 3mb's periodically but i've been told by eircom that i should be able to get 5mb..i'm four miles from the exchange approximately..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Castleconnell Co. Limerick 4km from Exchange 2.5Mb down .32 up, on 'up to 3mb package'. The sky website line checker is accurate at giving your max. download speed
    my advertised speed on the eircom site is 'UP TO 24 Megs'

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/ireland/build?showCheckAvailability
    You also need your eircom/whoever account number also called a UAN
    it tells me that i can get max 3.9Mb download:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ballydesmond, Co. Cork. On the 2007 upgrade list but still no sign of basic DSL

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭IrelandOffline_

yeah we do know about most of the exchanges that have not been enabled for DSL...here we are interested in exchanges that are throttled...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Turloughmore, County Galway. 7MB (ADSL1) is all the exchange can offer but I can only get 1MB due to the distance I am from it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ramas2

Maynooth business campus exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Strandhill, Co. Sligo. 7.1mb is the latest max available speed. Previously we had 8, then 7.6 and most recently 7.1.

Upload has also dropped from 768k to 512k, to the 384k it is at present. The stingy upload is a real problem in the evening when everyone in the house is on.

I believe the exchange is fitted with adsl 1 tech. When I asked one of the eircom boards reps about the possibility of the exchange being upgraded, I was told there were no plans at present.

On the plus side contention has never been an issue, so the backhaul can't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

Simi wrote: »
    Strandhill, Co. Sligo. 7.1mb is the latest max available speed. Previously we had 8, then 7.6 and most recently 7.1.

Upload has also dropped from 768k to 512k, to the 384k it is at present. The stingy upload is a real problem in the evening when everyone in the house is on.

I believe the exchange is fitted with adsl 1 tech. When I asked one of the eircom boards reps about the possibility of the exchange being upgraded, I was told there were no plans at present.

On the plus side contention has never been an issue, so the backhaul can't be too bad.

Yeah I asked on the eircom forums too if the ADA exchange could possibly upgraded in the near future. Like yourself, I was told that there is no plans to upgrade at this present time. Given the fact that the VDSL rollout program from Eircom won't reach our area of Donegal until 2015 at the earliest (knowing eircom that could be an extremely optimistic estimate) it looks like we could be stuck on ADSL1 backhaul for a long time yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Yeah I asked on the eircom forums too if the ADA exchange could possibly upgraded in the near future.

Where's ADA? ARDARA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Is it just me or is the eircom line checker thing a load of rubbish?

It says my line is capable of 24Mbps but we have 8Mbps and the fastest it goes is 7Mbps.

RAHAN exchange.

Lucky to have BB at all TBH, was on the last of the enabled exchanges :D

Advertisement