Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminally ill 16-year-old takes his anti-suicide campaign to RTE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WOCM4

So he thinks people that commit suicide don't think they can turn to family/friends for help?Of course they know they can,I knew I could when I slashed my wrists 3 years ago.People who commit suicide are at such a low ebb that they don't think they're life is worth anything,and that they shouldn't bother making themselves more of a burden on friends and family.Of course this lad is being naive.

Fair play , thank you for sharing that. Probably the most sense in the whole thread. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Call him naive- Call me naive but..

You know what? Fair play to him..
    Depression is an illness that requires the ultimate care and sensitivity. There is no question about that..

But- the key point here is-
    Suicide doesn't have to be the only option. If one or two people who watch this show or read his story in the midst of their depression-- can say- I ll try to give it a proper go ( get back to life, however hard that will be) then that is mission accomplished.

Lets wait and see the full story or his appearance on TV before we all go off saying-- how dare you talk about depression and suicide as if you are a know it all.
    I'm pretty sure he won't be coming across as smug or wrong or completely naive in his assessment. He has been doing great work across the community in different areas and communities need that help now more than ever.

A bit of raw emotion might be just what we all need regarding depression and suicide. These things are always spoken about in hushed tones. Swept under the carpet.. etc

It's the hush, hush (we ll never know the real story) attitude that's a bigger problem than a boy with a terminal illness coming out and saying--- hey, no matter how desperate things are right now.. There is surely a better way to go than commit suicide.
    Is it wrong of someone to ask people who in the throes of depression, isolation and loneliness to seek help, and try to find a way out??

See, suddenly it doesn't look so bad of him now does it.
    Lets judge tomorrow night and see how naive and cold or selfish he really is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

jank wrote: »
    No you cannot.

Actually he can. Depression, is that thing where saying stuff like "Ohh look how beautiful that sky is" makes absolutely no difference. Most depressives are just going to shrug this guy off as not understanding them or worse using it as an excuse to rationalise that sense of burdening they have and thus exacerbate their condition. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How's your psychology Masters going?

One must be qualified to comment now? So that excludes 99% of boards.ie users so including yourself I'd imagine.

saram wrote: »
    Lets judge tomorrow night and see how naive and cold or selfish he really is :)

No one is calling him that, Heart in the right place and all ....but...his logic is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

Exactly he is not saying to simply "cop on",all these posters are being smart asses calling this dying young boy naive.Bigging themselves up they are.He is saying that if you are feeling depressed that you should turn to someone for help and not take the rash option.Read the full article before posting please.
    I have read the full article, even quoted a section of it from the op. His language and tone coincide with someone who has limited knowledge of the illness. It will be interesting how he handles the interview (and probably cringeworthy waiting on Brendan O Connor to feck it up somehow.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I suppose he is presenting the tough love approach which doesn't go down too well with many in this over sensitive society.

for a start, theirs no "over sensitive society" in relation to an issue like this, i've never heard of the "tough love approach" having any effect in relation to this issue either.
    If he makes one person sit up and take notice that life isn't all that bad which stops them taking their own life then what is the harm in that?

the harm is he's talking about something he knows nothing about by the sounds of it and i have a feeling his approach will do more harm then good

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The guy is trying to do something positive with his remaining time and that's commendable but RTE will no doubt sensationalise this interview and whatever good could come out of it will probably be lost in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I think he's young and life has been unfair to him. He's speaking about something he doesn't fully understand.

Spot on.

Jank, have you ever been very down?

I bloody well have.

I suspect you aint.

Also , post 31 is nit picking.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Actually he can. Depression, is that thing where saying stuff like "Ohh look how beautiful that sky is" makes absolutely no difference. Most depressives are just going to shrug this guy off as not understanding them or worse using it as an excuse to rationalise that sense of burdening they have and thus exacerbate their condition. :(

Yes most will, I never said it would be cure all. What I did say is that if it makes one person sit up an take notice then it's worthwhile, unlike nervous twitch said that he can guarantee that nobody will do that which is an absurd claim to make.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think that when someone has their choice between life and death taken away, that the only option they have is death, they have a right to be a little critical of people who choose death over life.

That doesn't diminish depression in any way, or ignore how tough it is. But when somebody who really wants to live can't, it's easy to see how they could be critical of people who can live but choose not to.

Yes most will, I never said it would be cure all. What I did say is that if it makes one person sit up an take notice then it's worthwhile, unlike nervous twitch said that he can guarantee that nobody will do that which is an absurd claim to make.

If it makes one person sit up and take notice is only worth if it if doesn't make two people hide deeper in the shadows.

Also, it was only a figure of speech, if your intention is to be that pedantic on After Hours then I do truly wish you the very best of luck. :)

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think that when someone has their choice between life and death taken away, that the only option they have is death, they have a right to be a little critical of people who choose death over life.

That doesn't diminish depression in any way, or ignore how tough it is. But when somebody who really wants to live can't, it's easy to see how they could be critical of people who can live but choose not to.

See, that why I come back to boards, I read something now and then that makes me think and bit and accept another opinion to an extent. Thanks Steve.

One must be qualified to comment now?

Where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

There is no silver bullet out there for depression.

There sure isn't.

Tough love or telling someone to snap out of it is condescending though and shows a real lack of understanding of the condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I've flicked through the posts so sorry if I haven't taken everyone's opinion on board, I'm a garda and I've attended too many suicides than I care to admit to, they have varied in senario. I can relate like everyone else to the devastation. But I can see how a young man desperate to hold onto life can have the opinion that he does, I don't think that that should be denied to him. He may not have a full grasp of depression and how someone can be suicidal. He has the right to question it. The question is could his message help prevent suicide and I think I could possibly save some people who might think twice. But as a garda I bemoan the lack of services available to people in real distress, the state fails many and its glossed over sometimes with a cheap advertising campaign! In the meantime people die!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I don't agree with this. People who have had their choice taken away do not understand the circumstances and experiences it takes to get you to a place where you would consider choosing death.

Their criticisms of people considering suicide will probably be borne of resentment and bitterness or anger, not a real understanding of the situation, and I don't think that can be helpful or make anyone feeling suicidal sit up and take notice.

LizT wrote: »
    There sure isn't.

Tough love or telling someone to snap out of it is condescending though and shows a real lack of understanding of the condition.

I never said it was the only approach! It is one of many. Being all sensitive and caring doesn't work in all circumstances either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nothing pisses off a person more than being told their depression is "just a phase", "get over it", "there's people worse off than you"

As for this kid, his heart is in the right place but his logic (understandably distorted by the hand life has dealt him / being 16 years old) is twisted and something that shouldn't be given a platform on national TV if it's going to perpetuate more misinformation to the public about depression.

Way too many factors involved in suicide and depression that can't be boiled down like that.

People have enough trouble grasping the idea of mental illnesses as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Exactly he is not saying to simply "cop on",all these posters are being smart asses calling this dying young boy naive.Bigging themselves up they are.He is saying that if you are feeling depressed that you should turn to someone for help and not take the rash option.Read the full article before posting please.
    and if he has suffered from real clinical depression,especialy at the level suicidal ideation and action happen;ie severe,he woud have understood what clinical depression is,no matter what anyone says it doesnt make a difference to how we feel-it may make us worse if that is indeed possible at that point,we also usualy accutely lack motivation, memory, concentration and of course a stable mental/emotional state to even process what people are saying to us.

this lad obviously has got no experience of how serious mental health is,he woudnt have been given the soapbox to air it if he had not been terminaly ill,he probably woud have been laughed at by RTE if he was just a regular teen.
    it doesnt help that 'depression/depressed' is used to describe normal human behavior now days,and people self diagnose it for those reasons.
    people dont go around saying their brain tumor is playing up -when they have a headache through being awake to long,or their paralysis is irritating them when they have caused themselves a 'dead leg' from lying on it heavily in their sleep,so why is it people have no issue using a clinical and very real diagnosis to describe every day situations?:confused:

But as a garda I bemoan the lack of services available to people in real distress, the state fails many and its glossed over sometimes with a cheap advertising campaign! In the meantime people die!

THIS.

Fair Play and thank you for your service with the resources you have, most here could not stand a day of what you have to do in this regard.

Push it all under the carpet, ignore it, just like everything else in this country (that I love).

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I wrote nearly to allow for the fact that I'm not an infallible sage with an extensive knowledge of clinical psychology. From experience, however, I think it's reductive - and even harmful - to suggest that someone battling a mental illness needs a 'pep talk' to put them right.

I empathise with the guy and I can understand why he feels the way he does, but to give him a public platform to voice these feelings is irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

While I can see how his own situation may lead him to view suicide that way, and can empathize with that (the situation, not views), it's worth noting that such short-sighted attitudes (and not just related to suicide) don't seem that uncommon in Ireland.

If RTE presented such views unchallenged, then that is pretty shameful, and is just giving a platform for perpetuating such ignorant views.

I actually don't think they do. Yes, life may have dealt them a very harsh blow, but projecting their 'wants' and 'desires' of how life ought to be onto the lives of others is incredibly selfish. I can understand, in part, why it happens, but I don't think it's a justified form of criticism. But it's also a display of extreme arrogance to assume that your situation, no matter what it is, is actually worse than somebody else's. I'm not diminishing his struggle, but what I'm trying to do is actually point out that there could be someone alive right now who is actually in more pain and torment than he'll ever experience for the 16 short years of his life. And that this person might suffer more pain and torment for another 20.

So telling them, he's angry at them, isn't helpful and just because he's on his deathbed doesn't give him the right to berate others. Life is very hard for some and understanding that these people don't regard it as precious is something I'd love for him to do.

To use an analogy, a person badly wants a smartphone and sees tonnes and tonnes of other people enjoying using theirs so he wants one even more. However, in that tiny little corner there's an inexplicable group of people who hate smartphones but yet still possess one. Be it for work, family or other reasons, it doesn't matter they have one but they absolutely hate having one. Does this person have a right to berate them for having a smartphone and hating it? Does s/he have a right to berate those who have a smartphone but don't want one?

I know, life is a much more precious commodity than a smartphone but the point is to try to deal with the logic by analogy and remove the very strong emotional attachment that the concept of life invariably brings.

tl;dr
    Just because you lack something other haves doesn't give you an automatic entitlement to criticise how others, you perceive as having that thing you lack, act.

WOCM4 wrote: »
    THIS.

Fair Play and thank you for your service with the resources you have, most here could not stand a day of what you have to do in this regard.

Push it all under the carpet, ignore it, just like everything else in this country (that I love).

But we are talking about it, right now and we are doing so because of this kid even if you don't agree with him. We should always have open dialogue and should be free to air views no matter what they are, people are then free to discuss and makeup their own minds. His view is just one view of many views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Naivety is the main issue here. He's 16. I guarantee you we all said ill-informed things at that age. Luckily for most of us, these things weren't publicised. Add to this that he is likely railing against his prognosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Being physically ill and mentally ill are two different things. The poor kid means well I'm sure but I don't think he fully understands the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think whoever gave this lad a platform for this "campaign" is an idiot.

Hes been dealt a tough hand in life but that doesnt qualify him to carry out an anti-suicide campaign when he is clearly ignorant of depression, how it affects people and why people commit suicide.

Its only adding to the widespread ignorance the general population has on mental illness and makes the subject more taboo when thats the last thing we want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

EDIT: nevermind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement