Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top ten things you have to do in New York!

• 05-08-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

What are the top ten things you must do in New York?

I'd be grateful of a reason with each suggestion.

Thanks
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

I'll kick this off with my number 1 thing to do in the Big Apple.

Go to Grimaldi's on Fulton St for the best pizza in NYC and then stroll back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge taking in THAT skyline.

Top tip: Do this at dusk/nighttime for optimal viewing pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Another thing to do at dusk! Visit the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Centre. I don't advise you to go up the Empire State Building, go here instead! You get a great view of the Empire State Building and central park. Costs the same and shorter queues. Go at dusk and you can see the city in the day and the night.

Get a boat trip that goes around the Statue of Liberty for great views of the city and statue itself. Have to be up very early in the morning to get to Ellis Island, if you miss it got to Pier 13 and hop on the water taxi for some great photo ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

+1 for Top of the Rock. It's far better view than the Empire State, and less waiting I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Night time bus tour. Been to NY loads of times as one of best friends lives there and of all the touristy things this was my favourite. Get to see all of the main spots lit up at night and goes across the brooklyn bridge too.

Ellis Island. Worth doing it once anyhow especially if relatives have passed through. Work in statue of liberty in the same trip. Go early as queues get fairly big.

Walk. Like to walk around east village. Go to bar bua for a few pints afterwards. Work in little italy, chinatown too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

+1 for Top of the Rock. It's far better view than the Empire State, and less waiting I found.
    +1 for Top Of The Rock. The problem with seeing NY from the Empire State Building is that ya can't see The Empire State Building :) If you do go to TOTR then remember that you can keep going up. When you get out of the lifts/escalators (Can't remember which) you will come out at a level with glass barriers. However you can go higher. There is a stairs that is almost hidden to go higher. The best thing about going higher is that you can actually get The Empire State Building AND The Chrysler Building in the same pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Just back, I proposed at the Top of the Rock and she said yes :)

go to a yankees game
    get out of times square
    go to woodbury common if you like shopping
    Keens Steakhouse for the most awesome steaks ever

I have two unused New York Passes for sale.
    We couldn't use them as Irene caused the city to shut down for two days.
    paid 100 each will sell for 80 each.
    http://www.newyorkpass.com/whatYouGet.aspx
    expire December this year so if anyone heading beforehand, it's pretty handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 PARANA

If you like movies do TV and MOVIE tour, it takes half of the day, but really worth it. You will visit a lot of inetersting places where famous movie scenes were made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

Top of the Rock for deff
    Stroll around Central Park and go in the row boats great fun
    take in a show on broadway..
    eat pizza
    one thing i regret not doing as i was there at wrong time of year was getting to see ice hockey or basketball game..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Get a subway out to Queens, get some Greek food, and hit up the beer gardens! Some unreal ones there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Another vote for Top of the Rock. We went up at about half ten at night and there was hardly any queuing and not that many people. The skyline at night is just unbelievable.

If you want some burgers, I recommend Mark Burger on St Mark's Place for sliders. They are unreal! I was living in the area for the summer and ate there at least once a week. Great music and just a chill vibe, sit at the bar and have a chat with your friendly New Yorker barmaid! Burgers, fries and beer, you can't do better than that!

Also check out Moma PS1, Moma's contemporary art exhibition space. It's in Queens, so take the 7 train as it goes over ground and you can see some parts of NY off the tourist track. Some great graffiti to see on the way. The whole area is such a stark comparison to Manhattan. Moma is free in Friday, but if you want to really enjoy it, just pay in and avoid the crowds. Same for the Met, it is fantastic.

Bryant Park is also beautiful, an urban paradise. Go in the late evening to have a look around, grab an ice cream and just take it in.

Ellis Island is a brilliant museum, spent hours there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WilliamJoseph

my vote too for Top of the Rock its awesome ya as you point out the skyline is just majestic in its own way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

+1 for the top of the rock. Far more enjoyable than the empire state building, especially at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Worth trying to find the houses on the front of their album "Physical Graffiti". My OH had a ball checking the street out :)
    Apparently there are now plans to turn the building into a Led Zep themed teashop.......a good excuse to return to NYC sooner rather then later!
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/physical-graffiti-0207-2011/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mark%27s_Place_%28Manhattan%29]

Visiting the John Lennon Memorial in Central Park

+1 for Ellis Island. I spent well over 5 hours there but then again I'm a sucker for family history.

Take the free staten island ferry across and back for some great evening shots of the NYC skyline

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sundew wrote: »
    Worth trying to find the houses on the front of their album "Physical Graffiti". My OH had a ball checking the street out :)
    Apparently there are now plans to turn the building into a Led Zep themed teashop.......a good excuse to return to NYC sooner rather then later!

There's a tea shop in the basement of one of the buildings called Physical Graffitea!

Gotta recommend Katz's Deli as well. The prices are extortionate, but mother of god, the pastrami sandwiches! Unreal. Made famous by it's food, and a particular scene from When Harry Met Sally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Twee. wrote: »
    There's a tea shop in the basement of one of the buildings called Physical Graffitea!
    Havn't been in NY sice 2003 so I'm not sure if it was there at the time...if it was we must have been snapping so much we didn't spot it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fonkalei

Advertisement