Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭michellegavigan

hi all i got upc broadband in on saturday 20mb, and am very dissapointed , i did a speed test on speedtest,net and it shows 1.5 download, it take s nearly an ah hour to download a film from hotfile.

could someone help me out on what to do, i rang upc and they are blaming my laptop sayimg it probably has a virus or the hard drive is full, which neither are true.
    they told me do their speedtest which came in at 15.5, this cant be right as im sure i a film should download in 20 mins or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Do you have a Premium Hotfile account? If not, then your downloads will be severely restricted. Nothing to do with UPC speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do not talk about downloading films on this thread or forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robbyod

Ok, So im trying to create a Wireless ethernet bridge from the Cisco EPC2425 to an ADSL/Modem/router (A.M.R) i bought for a previous ISP (D-Link DSL-2740B)

From reading other posts etc, i have gathered that i need to change the WAN port on the A.M.R to work with one of the ethernet ports. Cant figure that out.
    Link to D-Link DSL-2740B Manual
    Link to D-Link DSL-2740B Manual alt link

KeRbDoG
    Excellent info, but cant seem to find where to enter this to set up the D-Link. Tried everywhere on the D-Link. Im assuming the D-Link IP (192.168.2.1) should be entered on the remote bridges box in the cisco?

Firstly,
    What options do i have with the hardware i have? other methods??

Secondly
    Is this even possible? Am i wasting my time with this combination of hardware?

Free "cookies" for anyone who can help!! pirate.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Trying to use the Cisco as an invisible cable modem with the 'DMZ' or Bridge method won't work over a 'wireless ethernet bridge' if I'm reading yea right Robbyod.
    If you do what your trying by bridging both wireless devices, you just extend the Ciscos routers network.

The device you linked to has a RJ11 port for its built in ADSL modem.

To do what I described, you would need an alternative non ADSL router/wireless device as you need a WAN/Internet RJ45 port on your alternative router/wireless device. These units are usually called 'cable modems' as their WAN/Internet ports are RJ45 connections. They don't have built in (ADSL) modems.

Better question for you is: What do you really want to achieve? Extend your Ciscos network? Disable all but the cable modem function of your Cisco and use another device for wireless/routing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robbyod

Disable the cisco and use it only as a modem, use the d-link as the wireless router. thats my aim anyway

Robbyod wrote: »
    Disable the cisco and use it only as a modem, use the d-link as the wireless router. thats my aim anyway

Your D-Link won't act as a router in this setup. To do this from the best of my knowledge you would need to have a WAN/Internet RJ45 port on it which it doesn't have.
    You could do some playing around and get it to work as a wireless access point but it wouldn't be of any great benefit over the Ciscos built in wireless function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Robbyod wrote: »
    Is this even possible? Am i wasting my time with this combination of hardware?

You're wasting your time, as this simply isn't going to work. Dump the D-link, and get a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Posted about my troubles here

Basically have been onto UPC a couple more times. It's not a laptop issue... it's an IP issue. We've tried different laptops, different facebook accounts... it works on a different connection on the same laptops (perlico and another UPC connection).

Anyone any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 seanleavy

My Fileserve premium account gets speeds of 50KB/s since last week. Tried resetting the modem. Made no difference.

edit:

On UPC 20meg package

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

Im with UPC down in waterford and my connection has been deteriorating over the last two weeks. Its gotten to the point where I cannot play (xbox live) or stream anything untill its past one in the morning :mad:

Originally we signed up for 5mb (a long time ago) this after been on the phone to them a few times since) has been upgraded to 10mb, but every speed test still shows up at 5mb max (last few weeks Ive been lucky to get 1mb before 10pm)

My main problem is my upload speed :(
    1118761413.png
    Wednesday @ 8pm

but THAT is just taking the mickey outright.

Untitled-2.jpg
    UPC speedcheck says my download speed should be fine, but even streaming a 3 minute youtube video is screaming lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DEOREM

Hi guys. New to the forums and looking for some router suggestions. I recently managed to convince UPC to get rid of that pile of arseache epc2425 & swap for an older modem.

I now need to purchase a separate wireless router. I do a lot of streaming to xbox, p2p and gaming. So was looking at the NETGEAR WNDR3400. http://bit.ly/hjt5NF I have heard some less favourable reviews so was wondering has anyone had any hands on experience with the router?

if not, could you possibly suggest any other routers I could use, at a reasonable price of course. My student budget is quite small.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Hey guys, having a few problems with this after it was installed today. Most of today, the internet just kept dropping and the family couldn't access pages and they appear either broken or not at all. Sometimes a DNS warning would come up. Would I be better off using open dns with it or something or am I missing something else..?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 seanleavy

seanleavy wrote: »
    My Fileserve premium account gets speeds of 50KB/s since last week. Tried resetting the modem. Made no difference.

edit:

On UPC 20meg package

OK. Restarted the modem again today. Seems to be working fine now.

Is there anyway to change the dns settings permanently on an EPC2425?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Im with UPC down in waterford and my connection has been deteriorating over the last two weeks. Its gotten to the point where I cannot play (xbox live) or stream anything untill its past one in the morning :mad:

Originally we signed up for 5mb (a long time ago) this after been on the phone to them a few times since) has been upgraded to 10mb, but every speed test still shows up at 5mb max (last few weeks Ive been lucky to get 1mb before 10pm)

My main problem is my upload speed :(
    1118761413.png
    Wednesday @ 8pm

but THAT is just taking the mickey outright.

Untitled-2.jpg
    UPC speedcheck says my download speed should be fine, but even streaming a 3 minute youtube video is screaming lies.

it looks like your being throttled cos u went over your monthly cap allowance

being on a 10mb connection u only get 120gb which is quite easy to go over if your streaming video and downloading music alot.

Hey guys, having a few problems with this after it was installed today. Most of today, the internet just kept dropping and the family couldn't access pages and they appear either broken or not at all. Sometimes a DNS warning would come up. Would I be better off using open dns with it or something or am I missing something else..?

i get this alot too its bloody annoying. if your using a different router and the epc 2435 cisco router just as a modem u need to set the primary and secondary dns addresses on the different router to use either google's public dns addresses 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4 or use the open dns ones.

i use comodo's dns servers 156.154.70.22 & 156.154.71.22

i still get the issue from time to time but far less often. usually disable and re-enable the nic resets it

if your thinking of getting UPC anytime soon ask for the thomson router and not the cisco router... it costs €80 but it will save u alot of grief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rares81

Good evening. I don't know if this is the best thread to post in and I apologize if that's the case.
    First of all i live in Romania, I have an internet connection from UPC (25Mbps package) and using the Cisco 2425 router. Although the speeds I get are consistent, i have an issue which I hope you can help me with. Randomly, when surfing the internet or playing online games my connection will drop and resume after about 2-3 minutes. When this loss in connection occurs, the US (LED 3) button on the router starts blinking. I think that this loss in connection happens because the signal in the cable is droping (ussully when the internet drops the TV quality drops too, but only on channels like History HD or Discovery HD Showcase).
    Thanks in advance and I apologise again if this post dosen't belong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Kromu wrote: »
    Package: 30Mbit
    Connection Type: direct Ethernet to router

Have 30Mbit UPC connection (upgraded from 15Mbit few months ago), and the actual speed is never really beyond 22 Mbit for me in the last 4 months. I mean, when going to speetest.upc.ie I receive something like 28/2,6 Mbit but no site ever shows me transfer speeds over 2,5 MB/s. Sometimes @ about 5 am I see 3MB/s but thats it. UPC expert come over and replaced the modem and the connecting switch in my place, but it did not really improved anything.
    So my question is - is it called a 30Mbit service when it is just to UPC Server? Dublin D18 here. Back in November they changed the line or exchange and for a short while it was better, but just for a week. Modem is that Cisco 2425 or something.
    IP Flooding is off.
    Thanks.

Exactly the same issue as I have.

1121306625.png

I had 15Mb all of last year and I was hitting the 15Mb mark consistently then I upgraded to 30Mb on the 4th of January and I haven't been able to get over 22Mb ever since. I called UPC and they asked me a load of questions and then told be that they will forward my query to an engineer but I've heard nothing since.

Is anyone who is on 30Mb actually getting those speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

rares81 wrote: »
    Good evening. I don't know if this is the best thread to post in and I apologize if that's the case.
    First of all i live in Romania, I have an internet connection from UPC (25Mbps package) and using the Cisco 2425 router. Although the speeds I get are consistent, i have an issue which I hope you can help me with. Randomly, when surfing the internet or playing online games my connection will drop and resume after about 2-3 minutes. When this loss in connection occurs, the US (LED 3) button on the router starts blinking. I think that this loss in connection happens because the signal in the cable is droping (ussully when the internet drops the TV quality drops too, but only on channels like History HD or Discovery HD Showcase).
    Thanks in advance and I apologise again if this post dosen't belong here.

Sounds like a problem with the cable going into your house, you would need UPC to check the cabling, but I think it's actually either the junction box out on your street or else the local node. Hope this helps

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Last time UPC came by they suggested that I should get a signal booster because my signal is not all that great. Thinking at what you said, I will ask them to come by and look again at the outside junction. But i still wonder if a signal booster mounted in my house will solve the problem. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Raekwon wrote: »
    Exactly the same issue as I have.

1121306625.png

I had 15Mb all of last year and I was hitting the 15Mb mark consistently then I upgraded to 30Mb on the 4th of January and I haven't been able to get over 22Mb ever since. I called UPC and they asked me a load of questions and then told be that they will forward my query to an engineer but I've heard nothing since.

Is anyone who is on 30Mb actually getting those speeds?

Just got UPC 30meg today and thats exactly the same speed I'm getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Me too, never get past 22 or 23

As I said above I just got this and I came from UTV's 7 meg line which I have a Belkin N wireless ASDL router for.

The problem I have now with UPC is if I have a torrent program running or watching something through Sopcast I cant browse the internet where before I could do all 3 at the same time.

Before I got the Belkin router I had the standard modem from UTV wired direct to the desktop and always had the same problem as above which I thought was normal until I got the Belkin router.

Is this normal with the EPC2425? Is there a way to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Last time UPC came by they suggested that I should get a signal booster because my signal is not all that great. Thinking at what you said, I will ask them to come by and look again at the outside junction. But i still wonder if a signal booster mounted in my house will solve the problem. Thanks in advance.

No probs It would be up to UPC to provide the booster for you after all it's their cable and modem/Digital Box that the issue is, I would ring them and ask them to provide the solution rather then getting you to buy a signal booster that might or might not work. Let us know how you get on, maybe the next engineer they send out will be a bit more helpful and will sort the issue out, insist to them on the phone and when the engineer calls that UPC need to fix the issue to provide the service your paying for.

Again, thanks for the help. Last time they came by they insisted that the internet does not work because my signal in the house is to weak. After they left, I decided to change the router positioning in the house. They told me that were it was connected the signal was to weak, so i connected it to the main cable that enters my house. The quality/ uptime improved, but as you can see I still have issues. Unfortunately, I called them but they told me that the signal booster needs to be brought (100 euros). I don't want to pay for something that might or might not work as you said. I'll give it another shot and maybe convince then to bring one for, lets say, 1 week of testing. After that I can make my decisions if its worth buying it.

As I said above I just got this and I came from UTV's 7 meg line which I have a Belkin N wireless ASDL router for.

The problem I have now with UPC is if I have a torrent program running or watching something through Sopcast I cant browse the internet where before I could do all 3 at the same time.

Before I got the Belkin router I had the standard modem from UTV wired direct to the desktop and always had the same problem as above which I thought was normal until I got the Belkin router.

Is this normal with the EPC2425? Is there a way to fix this?

I'm considering cancelling UPC despite the saving and increase in speed because of this and the streaming issue which will cost me more money on a new cable router to fix.

OK sorted the issue out. Turned on UPNP in Set up -> advanced settings -> Options and turned off the Firewall and IP Flood Control in Set Up -> Firewall -> Options.

when i got the 30mb connection the guy from UPC tested my old cable and said it was not gonna be good enough to get 30Mb/s... so then he pulled out (with a lil help from me) the old cable line and put in a new line going from the house to the box in the footpath out on the street.

he even put in a second new cable line for me leading out to the office to the rear of the house.

the only extra cost he charged us was for the extra cable.

i average 24Mb/s now up from a paltry 6Mb/s before he upgraded the cables.

Streaming is now working too. Set the EPC2425 to bridge, wired it into the PS3, then plugged in the Belkin N ADSL router and now the wireless laptop talks to the wired PS3.

Also getting 29 meg today

1125281511.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SBoyce

I've just come across your comprehensive post on this modem/router, for which many thanks. I've been trying for ages to get media streaming on my internet radio (Pure Evoke Flow - WiFi only) working but take it from your post that this is not possible with this modem/router except by using it as a bridge and losing the telephone function?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

SBoyce wrote: »
    I've just come across your comprehensive post on this modem/router, for which many thanks. I've been trying for ages to get media streaming on my internet radio (Pure Evoke Flow - WiFi only) working but take it from your post that this is not possible with this modem/router except by using it as a bridge and losing the telephone function?

Thanks again

Why can't you use the EPC2425 wifi connection to connect up your Wifi-Radio?

But, lets say you cannot use the EPC2425 wifi connection, you could just use the DMZ method and use an alternative 'good' wifi/router jobie and still keep the phone functionality of the EPC2425

Advertisement