Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introduce yourself

• 16-03-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Noticed this new forum and thought HURRAY!!! at last an irish illusion forum (i realise there were ones before but they were closed down awhile ago).

I just thought it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves and say a little abit how long they have been performing/interested in magic/illusion.

Ive been practisingmagic for about 4-5 years at this stage, mainly card magic but have delved into mentalism with the likes of corinda's book.

Hope this is ok to do Mods, just thought it would be best to get to know each other best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I started public performing in about '02 after years of irritating friends in pubs and at parties but have since stopped performing myself and work now (in Michale Caine's role from The Prestige) for a magician who's been performing on the Irish scene for about two years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

My audience consists of my kids, they aren't that hard to amaze but I really plan on getting my finger out and getting to grips with a few of the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 King of Kards

I started doing 15 years ago, i'm originaly from the States but have been living here for 7 years now.
    I work the corporate scene and V.I.P sections of night clubs. I dabble with all kinds of magic but mostly cards.

Well its great to have so many experienced people here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 King of Kards

About time boards got a magic forum, my fiance told me about it today so i signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

About time boards got a magic forum, my fiance told me about it today so i signed up.

Good man! :D Great to have a guy with such experience contributing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JackG

Great to see. Very interesting stuff. Derren Brown is amazing.

iirc my first post was in the thread requesting this forum, so I signed up just for this too :).

EDIT: Yep, just checked... First post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hi my name is Az, and I'm an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

azezil wrote: »
    *snigger*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So what you're really saying is that you can make beer disappear!! Good vanashing trick! :D

Well, I've always loved watching magicians and illusionists performing but must say that my repertoire consists of one trick, David Blaines levitation :( I'm a fan of simple tricks and presentation, similar to the street-magic approach. I don't really like the big flashy spectacular stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I have been involved in magic for three or four years now. I am based out of Kerry. I am still at the hobby level at the moment, but I am in the process of building up a routine to try and land myself some work.

I have also been sitting on the domain magicireland.com for a few years, and I am still stumped with what to do with it. I would like to put something there that would benifit all magicians in Ireland (It's just a non-updated blog at the moment). So I am open to suggestions with that too (I am a web developer by trade, so I should have few issues implementing any suggestions)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sword-swallower, by any chance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

hey guys

Card Magician here the last few years, been doing it since i met a magician in a place i was working, i showed some initiative learning some tricks off the net and he thought me a lot of the basics, im now pretty competant with cards and can regularly be found outside pubs in swords at the end of nights out melting heads for the laugh.

Anyone here attend SIM?

Its great to see so many long term Boardsies with an interest, I'm so surprised the forum was never suggested before.

Welcome.

Well its one of those things that everyone knows a magician but the magician never goes around saying he's a magician if you get what i mean.

for most its a hobby and you keep your secrets to yourself etc etc, and i think the idea of talking magic on an open forum never crossed peoples minds

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hmmm, I could of sworn I posted in this thread, but my mind isn't what it used to be (and even then it wasn't up to much).

I've had a love of magic all my life, but have never been any good at it. I've a nephew now, that I've decided I'll wow with magical abilities, but I have to learn the abilities first. I'm not the most dextrous of people, so the tricks I know are generally formula card tricks (you know the ones where you count out a set number of cards etc. I'm sure there's a proper name for them), and these are good enough to impress kids and drunks for the moment.

Yeah maths or counting tricks, they work, i suggest learning the very very basics of card control and you will open a pandora's box to yourself

Mechanics grip for a start
    Riffling the cards
    Confidently shuffling card
    Fanning cards
    Charlier Cut
    Hip Cut
    The Pass

They are just the start of learning, basic showy offy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Hey I'm Harry. Been into magic for a while but been starting to get more into it in the last couple of months. More into the Mentalism side of things (small hands equel very average card manipulator!) than anything else. Just building up through the hobby level now and am hoping to get to the point I can do it in public without fear of ebarrasment in the next 6 or 8 months, at the moment it's my dirty little secret!!!

My friend dave is a magician a long time, very small hands, he's not great at palming but can do almost anything else with a deck of cards and coin and object magic he is brilliant at.

so dont overlook it, i'll be honest i rarely palm and most card control is in the fingers so keep learning and keep trying, being good with cards isnt an instant thing, believe me, i've tried teaching fans and cuts to friends to keep them happy and they just cant do it first time out. they need lots of practise before even 1 of them got remotely close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Hey dionsiseire, i recognise your username. Did you used to be on the visualtrickery site???

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

It's more than just small hands, it's got a lot to do with my finger spread and actual finger length.

No I merely said I'm average! My palm of choice is the Tenkai, hand size is no object to that, the classic palms a pain so I avoid it but other than that I'm kind of okay.

My little finger is particularly weak so it makes double lifts a pain but I can just pull them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

You can build up finger strength. Trilogy by Dan and Dave Buck contains a section on exercises to build up finger dexterity and strength.

There are many many ways of preforming double lifts, and none of the methods I regularly use utilise my little finger. You should take a look at Jay Sankey, he has tiny hands.

oeb wrote: »
    You should take a look at Jay Sankey, he has tiny hands.

Surprised he didn't get a thread of his own when Blaine, Derren and the others did. I love his work with rings (finger kind, not giant stainless steel kind).

bigslick wrote: »
    Hey dionsiseire, i recognise your username. Did you used to be on the visualtrickery site???

Did i use to be on the site

Young padowan, myself and tom created and ran the site.

Bankers Meetings?
    Filming on grafton Street?
    The Devils Swan?

Dude surely you know who i am by now

we talk on msn occasionally

Advertisement