Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

thedumbone wrote: »

whatever it means, apparently I can be connected, I'm just wondering what would be actual maximum speed of download. I know it depends on a lot of factors. Would 50% of 80mb be a possibility to achieve?

If eircoms site saying 80mb then more than likely you would get about that.

It told me 40mb before I got mine and once connected that's what I got...

You should ring them up, fibre costs the same as adsl so you've nothing to lose if you're planning on keeping the internet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If eircoms site saying 80mb then more than likely you would get about that.

It told me 40mb before I got mine and once connected that's what I got...

You should ring them up, fibre costs the same as adsl so you've nothing to lose if you're planning on keeping the internet anyway.

will do, the thing is that I'm currently in digiweb using dsl connection and thinking about switching to fibre, just wondering which provider would be the best

thinking about digiweb or eircom (they both offers up to 100mbs download), im not too pleased with digiweb but on the other hand i see that many people complain about eircom (not sure if thats overall or just customer service, the amount of negative comments on their facebook pages scares me), what you think about eircom?

this is probably not a right thread to ask that kind of question but others are unfortunately unactive,

thanks in advance

will do, the thing is that I'm currently in digiweb using dsl connection and thinking about switching to fibre, just wondering which provider would be the best

thinking about digiweb or eircom (they both offers up to 100mbs download), im not too pleased with digiweb but on the other hand i see that many people complain about eircom (not sure if thats overall or just customer service, the amount of negative comments on their facebook pages scares me), what you think about eircom?

this is probably not a right thread to ask that kind of question but others are unfortunately unactive,

thanks in advance

I'm with Vodafone myself personally, pretty much because it's cheapest. €38 a month total.

If you don't use landline I'd recommend them for price.

I'm with Vodafone myself personally, pretty much because it's cheapest. €38 a month total.

If you don't use landline I'd recommend them for price.

I didn't know Vodafone had fibres connection, that's new for me, how you rate them? From what I read they are offering up to 100 mbs for 38€, may I ask whats your down/up?
    I actually don't mind paying 10€ more if connection would be better, I don't see alternatives though..

I didn't know Vodafone had fibres connection, that's new for me, how you rate them? From what I read they are offering up to 100 mbs for 38€, may I ask whats your down/up?
    I actually don't mind paying 10€ more if connection would be better, I don't see alternatives though..

"Vodafone at Home" as it's branded offer the same service as Eircom, through Eircom lines.

Eircoms site quoted me 40mb before I got it connected, once I was connected it was pretty much 40mb alright.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4598080637

I've been told it should go up to 50mb down 15up after the "prequal".

Maybe even once vectoring is enabled on all cabs& exchanges it might go up a bit more for me.

This is me being nearly 1 km from my exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

"Vodafone at Home" as it's branded offer the same service as Eircom, through Eircom lines.

Eircoms site quoted me 40mb before I got it connected, once I was connected it was pretty much 40mb alright.

Maybe even once vectoring is enabled on all cabs& exchanges it might go up a bit more for me.

Yup mine went up three weeks after it went live - from 40/10 to 50/15 @850 Meters , no cabs between me and exchange.

Oh, so you firstly checked what would be maximum download speed using Eircoms website, then you ordered Vodafone and you received what was approximately calculated on Eircom's website eg. 40mb?

If that's the case I would be delighted by having 50-80mbs(80 is max).

dbit wrote:
    Yup mine went up three weeks after it went live - from 40/10 to 50/15 @850 Meters , no cabs between me and exchange.

Did you have to be asked to reprofile or did it auto up itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Did you have to be asked to reprofile or did it auto up itself?

Nope i had to call and ask it wasnt auto , the site however if entering the number flagged for faster so on the back of that i called them, plus the prequal info had jumped on the modem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

Is it just me, or have they fallen way behind on this rollout?? No movement in areas for months now, deadlines missed and no updates on the maps at all. The lack of updates (both on the maps and website) is extremely frustrating!! If one was of a skeptical nature, one would conclude that they are concentrating on winning the new NBP contract (certainly seem to be making all the right noises anyway) and are holding on until they see how that goes before doing any more work....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

BandMember wrote: »
    Is it just me, or have they fallen way behind on this rollout?? No movement in areas for months now, deadlines missed and no updates on the maps at all. The lack of updates (both on the maps and website) is extremely frustrating!! If one was of a skeptical nature, one would conclude that they are concentrating on winning the new NBP contract (certainly seem to be making all the right noises anyway) and are holding on until they see how that goes before doing any more work....

They are concentrating on exchanges not cabinets, now they have got thorough the red tape involved with it.

They are concentrating on exchanges not cabinets, now they have got thorough the red tape involved with it.

I'm talking about exchanges - not cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'm talking about exchanges - not cabinets.

It's my belief that they may hold off on certain rural exchanges that had been announced for VDSL and instead transition them straight to FTTH. How long this takes is another matter though.

That is just my opinion though. I don't have any inside info!

It's my belief that they may hold off on certain rural exchanges that had been announced for VDSL and instead transition them straight to FTTH. How long this takes is another matter though.

That is just my opinion though. I don't have any inside info!

Well, in the short term, that's terrible news! Also, what happens if they don't get the NBP? Will they just abandon their roll out? However, in the long term, it's good news I suppose (IF it happens), but, when you are stick in mobile broadband land with 2MB speeds and stupidly low monthly allowance limits, it's another kick in the teeth when you are supposed to be going live now.... :(

Well, in the short term, that's terrible news! Also, what happens if they don't get the NBP? Will they just abandon their roll out? However, in the long term, it's good news I suppose (IF it happens), but, when you are stick in mobile broadband land with 2MB speeds and stupidly low monthly allowance limits, it's another kick in the teeth when you are supposed to be going live now.... :(

Sorry for disappointing you but as I said it is just my opinion. I am in a similar situation as yourself. As regards the NBP I cannot envisage a scenario where if openeir bid that they will not win some or all of the tender. I suspect that their recent FTTH "blue line" announcement was an effort to further leverage their position as preferred bidders.

Sorry for disappointing you but as I said it is just my opinion. I am in a similar situation as yourserlf. As regards the NBP I cannot envisage a scenario where if openeir bid that they will not win some or all of the tender. I suspect that their recent FTTH "blue line" announcement was an effort to further leverage their position as preferred bidders.

So, we're in the same boat then? It's very frustrating, isn't it? I just wish that they would offer more updates.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am still amazed that in the commercial centre of a county town there is still no fibre broadband being offered in half of it, let alone NBG broadband, dig up the whole town months ago and nothing yet activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

A contract company where digging up outside my house and near the local eircom exchange,On one of the road signs it said fibre1 or something along those lines,

Now this exchange is the last exchange in the town (blessington) to be put live, Does anyone know how long it takes them to wire it up and have live after its just in the ground?

So, we're in the same boat then? It's very frustrating, isn't it? I just wish that they would offer more updates.... :(

Yes we are in a similar situation. Hopefully by the end of the year there will be more concrete news on how the NBP will progress.

Yes we are in a similar situation. Hopefully by the end of the year there will be more concrete news on how the NBP will progress.

Not a lot of good for the people who have decisions to make on new contracts though.... Eir are costing themselves money with their lack of information....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

LCN1_006 in Lucan has commenced... hopefully LCN1_024 is next.

Only exchange in the estate that isn't fibre enabled.

The map has been updated alright, my own exchange is in the "completion stage" and should go live between Jan-Mar 2016. While I am hopeful that this is true (other bigger exchanges in the county haven't been started yet, which seems strange), I have concerns about the NBP contract interfering with progress and Eir in general so I'm sticking to "I'll believe it when I see it".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

BTB1_E01 has commenced in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Bah and humbug!!! :mad:

My exchange RRX1_E01 has gone from Jan-Mar 2016 ... to within 1 year. :mad:
    :mad::mad:

Not that it matters with me being a gnat's pube shy of 2KM from it, but I was kinda hoping to "share" the connection of somebody closer ... if you know what I mean ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Can I ask where everyone is getting their exchange number from?? The only map I know of is HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Can I ask where everyone is getting their exchange number from?? The only map I know of is HERE

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The Cush wrote: »
    Wow, they certainly haven't copied the name of their wholesale product from a certain provider in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The Cush wrote: »

Thank you very much for that. Sadly my heart is broken6.6k from out exchange and only on the "planned" list :( Yet only 2.3km from our nearest exchange which is live! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thank you very much for that. Sadly my heart is broken6.6k from out exchange and only on the "planned" list :( Yet only 2.3km from our nearest exchange which is live! :(

2.3 Km is still too far, max from a vectored cab is 2Km and about 1.7Km from an exchange.

• Advertisement

Ha! I knew it!! All the dates have been completely pushed back from Jan-Mar 2016 to "within one year"! What an absolute joke!! :mad::mad::mad: Also, how can that map tell a completely different story to the fibre where and when map?? :confused:

The company may have a new name, but it looks like the same old story to me....

Advertisement