Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Hi,
    I just noticed when I log onto my Thomson modem (192.168.100.1) and click on "Event Log" I see a lot of warnings. Some are like "Incorrect OID" and something about DHCP. The Thomson is working great just as a modem but I'm worried UPC won't like it. Is anyone else getting these warnings? Are they OK? Can I just ignore them?

Thanks.

alanbk wrote: »
    I am going to try windows option 2 later this week. Will i be running an Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the TC 7200 to the WAN port of a wireless modem router ? And, can anyone recommend a good and reliable Wireless modem router suitable for this task ??As usual, thanks everyone.

I recommend the Asus RT-N66U (Amazon link). It's a very nice router.

Asm wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just noticed when I log onto my Thomson modem (192.168.100.1) and click on "Event Log" I see a lot of warnings. Some are like "Incorrect OID" and something about DHCP. The Thomson is working great just as a modem but I'm worried UPC won't like it. Is anyone else getting these warnings? Are they OK? Can I just ignore them?

Thanks.
    You can ignore these. Standard DOCSIS messages that I'd see on anything.

Karsini wrote: »
    You can ignore these. Standard DOCSIS messages that I'd see on anything.
    Ah, good.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Does anyone know how to undo this if you make the change to turn it into a modem only?

• Advertisement

Skittle wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to undo this if you make the change to turn it into a modem only?

Use the reset button on the back of the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Asm wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

Exactly what Karsini said. I've seen those long before setting Thomson to bridge mode.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its incredible the bother UPC force on their customers for something that should just "be there" particularly given virtually everyone's requirement nowadays for good wifi service over a wide area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dub45 wrote: »
    Its incredible the bother UPC

Agreed (and with most of your anti-UPC points), but can you ease up on the crusade, especially in this thread (you've posted the same thing twice, and it adds nothing to the discussion)?

I still haven't been able to try this out (the key doesn't exist on my modem with the earlier firmware). Resetting the modem unfortunately doesn't force an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

I have reset the Technicolor 7200 U Modem Router to Modem only mode. This is where I get mixed up:):) I am going to connect a Wireless Router to it tomorrow. When I have that done, I will be connecting a server by wired connection etc. I will then be connecting Home Plugs and enabling the wireless on the new router.My question is. When I reset the modem/router from UPC, it got an IP addy of 89.**.**.**. When I connect it to the WAN of the new router, what happens ? Does the new router become my LAN ? Really need help as I don't think I know what I'm doing and I have bricked the UPC Router !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

I have reset the Technicolor 7200 U Modem Router to Modem only mode. This is where I get mixed up:):) I am going to connect a Wireless Router to it tomorrow. When I have that done, I will be connecting a server by wired connection etc. I will then be connecting Home Plugs and enabling the wireless on the new router.My question is. When I reset the modem/router from UPC, it got an IP addy of 89.**.**.**. When I connect it to the WAN of the new router, what happens ? Does the new router become my LAN ? Really need help as I don't think I know what I'm doing and I have bricked the UPC Router !!! :D

The new router will become your LAN,so to speak,

The TC7200 is now just a modem,the fact you managed to get a public IP address means it worked ;)

wiz569 wrote: »
    The new router will become your LAN,so to speak,

The TC7200 is now just a modem,the fact you managed to get a public IP address means it worked ;)
    OK Thanks. :I'll mess around with it tomorrow and see how I get on.:D

I deffo need to do a course on Networking !!!! What a pain in the ar**

I've tried both Windows methods to connect to the router and neither of them work. I've enabled remote management and turned off the firewall and put my anti-virus into "game mode" and none of the apps will connect to the router.

What am I missing here?

Which router are you trying to connect to ?

Finally got it all working. Set the Technicolor router as a modem only and am now using my Asus wireless router to manage my connections. Much better wireless coverage than supplied UPC router, Happy Days. Just another note. Once you set the UPC router as a modem only, you cannot undo it. Resetting will not restore it to it's factory reset but back to the modem only status. Just to be aware folks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Finally got it all working. Set the Technicolor router as a modem only and am now using my Asus wireless router to manage my connections. Much better wireless coverage than supplied UPC router, Happy Days. Just another note. Once you set the UPC router as a modem only, you cannot undo it. Resetting will not restore it to it's factory reset but back to the modem only status. Just to be aware folks.:)

Good to know that it worked for you.

Re going back to default settings - have you tried pressing the reset button at the back for more than 30 seconds? This should reset it back to modem/router.

docentore wrote: »
    Good to know that it worked for you.

Re going back to default settings - have you tried pressing the reset button at the back for more than 30 seconds? This should reset it back to modem/router.
    Didn't actually hold it for 30 secs tbh. Did hold it until it reset and it booted up as modem only!

Didn't actually hold it for 30 secs tbh. Did hold it until it reset and it booted up as modem only!

Dont suppose you fancy trying the 30 second theory m8?

Dont suppose you fancy trying the 30 second theory m8?

I'll be getting one of these modems in the next few days. Am not one bit shy about trying this stuff so I will if nobody else does. :pac:

• Advertisement

I'll be getting one of these modems in the next few days. Am not one bit shy about trying this stuff so I will if nobody else does. :pac:

Cheers m8,still waiting on the right opportunity to put my TC7200 into modem mode,but with 4 people using the net its a bit tricky lol

Cheers m8,still waiting on the right opportunity to put my TC7200 into modem mode,but with 4 people using the net its a bit tricky lol

I'm all set up now but am pretty sure you are stuck in modem only mode even after 30 sec restart. Problem is, you cannot access the MIBS to change back the integer because the routers firewall blocks access, and you cannot access the routers admin page to disable the firewall !! I could stand to be corrected though !!;)

I'm all set up now but am pretty sure you are stuck in modem only mode even after 30 sec restart. Problem is, you cannot access the MIBS to change back the integer because the routers firewall blocks access, and you cannot access the routers admin page to disable the firewall !! I could stand to be corrected though !!;)

Can you access the TC7200 via 192.168.100.1 in modem only mode? If you can't, then you might be able to access it if you boot up the modem with the co-ax cable disconnected.

You can access the modem at 192.168.100.1 but you only have access to Basic and Wireless. All the other Tabs result in you being disconnected !!! Therefor you cannot access the firewall to turn it off.

The firewall shouldn't be on because the device is bridged. It has no WAN IP to shield.

UPC do disable SNMP on the WAN side when the modem syncs up, so that might explain why you can't access the MIB table, but you might be able to access it if you boot the modem with the cable disconnected.

Sure, I'll check it myself when I get my own one. :)

The firewall shouldn't be on because the device is bridged. It has no WAN IP to shield.

UPC do disable SNMP on the WAN side when the modem syncs up, so that might explain why you can't access the MIB table, but you might be able to access it if you boot the modem with the cable disconnected.

Sure, I'll check it myself when I get my own one. :)
    I'm only assuming its the routers firewall stopping you accessing the MIBs table. Could be as you say, disconnecting the UPC cable and rebooting might be the trick. BTW Is there a trick to unscrewing the UPC cable as I had a hard job trying to disconnect it ?

There's no trick to it but it's usually tightened very well, such as with a small spanner or pliers. So you may not be able to unscrew it by hand.

Which router are you trying to connect to ?
    I'm trying to connect to TWG-870 as per the thread title.

Skittle wrote: »
    I'm trying to connect to TWG-870 as per the thread title.

Not familiar with that router but I think if you follow the first post you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Not familiar with that router but I think if you follow the first post you'll be grand.

I did try to follow the first post and I couldn't get connected using the apps mentioned, hence my post. Would it be worth trying with the router disconnected from the upc cable?

Advertisement