Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

building milking parlour

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jersey101 wrote: »
    Any way back to the other question i had, would i be aswell to put in batch feeders seeing as i have a diet feeder or buy better feeders?

What is the most milk your cows give, and whats the average? I have a large mix of cows giving out between 4k and 8klitres, my feed to yeild is done with 20yr old fully manual cashman feeders, but totally necessary for me. However uf your looking for a 5/6k grass based cow moving forward, I'd throw in batch feeders and flog the diet feeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Parlour feeders of some sort definetly jersey.either that or cows will have to be feed at feed rail daily and diet feeder will be going all year.

ye atm were using buckets, put the meal down first and then bring them in, i wouldn't have a hope getting cows up in the parlour with 12 troughs full of meal. The only thing is if ive an odd number in the parlour, say 8 how do i feed them 8 cows? And you cant individualy feed the wonter cows either

Timmaay wrote: »
    What is the most milk your cows give, and whats the average? I have a large mix of cows giving out between 4k and 8klitres, my feed to yeild is done with 20yr old fully manual cashman feeders, but totally necessary for me. However uf your looking for a 5/6k grass based cow moving forward, I'd throw in batch feeders and flog the diet feeder.

herd average at the moment is at 5,500, not recording so some cows cpuld be doing more but id reckon 22 would abput tops in winter or summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

herd average at the moment is at 5,500, not recording so some cows cpuld be doing more but id reckon 22 would abput tops in winter or summer

At an average of 5500 litres andvit saying a peak of 22 I'd say your selling yourself short jersey.you could have cows doing anything from 18 up to 30 plus at peak I reckon.barch feeders would be the cheapest (well if you discount bucketing it in ur self!!)but all cows have to be fed the same amount.on the uneven last row not much you can do bar do what I did put another chute on the bin so you can manually take a bucket or 2 out at a time and manually put meal in trough.vatch feeders in a say 20 unit could be setup up with a handle to drop feed in first 10 and then second 10 or 4 fives or whatever u wish.whatever u go for I think feeders are a must in the parlour.was in greenfield earlier this year and through the spring the 2 boys there manually fed 150 tonnes with barrow and buckets in collecting yard,hardly sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

At an average of 5500 litres andvit saying a peak of 22 I'd say your selling yourself short jersey.you could have cows doing anything from 18 up to 30 plus at peak I reckon.barch feeders would be the cheapest (well if you discount bucketing it in ur self!!)but all cows have to be fed the same amount.on the uneven last row not much you can do bar do what I did put another chute on the bin so you can manually take a bucket or 2 out at a time and manually put meal in trough.vatch feeders in a say 20 unit could be setup up with a handle to drop feed in first 10 and then second 10 or 4 fives or whatever u wish.whatever u go for I think feeders are a must in the parlour.was in greenfield earlier this year and through the spring the 2 boys there manually fed 150 tonnes with barrow and buckets in collecting yard,hardly sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

td5man wrote: »
    Water main would be a better job , wouldnt be cheap though.

Know some else that used wavin and it worked out ok

mahoney_j wrote: »
    At an average of 5500 litres andvit saying a peak of 22 I'd say your selling yourself short jersey.you could have cows doing anything from 18 up to 30 plus at peak I reckon.

Definitely, I'm about 5500 delivered also, best cow did 40L at peak, and afew other knocking out about 35L. That lady with the 40L did have fairly poor solids however, despite me pumping 8kg/day nuts into her! God knows what state she'd be in if I wasn't feeding her the extra nuts! You don't have jars in the parlour I take it Jersey either? Milk recording would be of massive massive benefit to you, at least the 4 times a year. I have someone in recorded every month, each cows yields, BF, P, Lactose and SCC get recorded for that full day, gives you a very good snapshot of what each cow is doing. Only one thing I'd say against milk recording is it does appear to consistently overestimate milk volume, by about 500L/cow against bulk tank volume.

Definitely, I'm about 5500 delivered also, best cow did 40L at peak, and afew other knocking out about 35L. That lady with the 40L did have fairly poor solids however, despite me pumping 8kg/day nuts into her! God knows what state she'd be in if I wasn't feeding her the extra nuts! You don't have jars in the parlour I take it Jersey either? Milk recording would be of massive massive benefit to you, at least the 4 times a year. I have someone in recorded every month, each cows yields, BF, P, Lactose and SCC get recorded for that full day, gives you a very good snapshot of what each cow is doing. Only one thing I'd say against milk recording is it does appear to consistently overestimate milk volume, by about 500L/cow against bulk tank volume.

nope no jars here either.ye were signed uo to recording here now, your man is supposed to comd over some day
    soon

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Put in a 14 unit here with all new pipelines/pulsators/stainless steel pans/20 unit stallwork and kerbing for 16,000 installed, milking machine lads are absolutley creaming it, the real winners in all the expansion post 2015 will be these boys its basically daylight robbery.

jaymla627 where did u source a machine for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭jaymla627

quader wrote: »
    jaymla627 where did u source a machine for that money

Of a lad down in carrick that does milfois parlours, if the cost of the stallwork (3,000) stainless steel pans (4,200) plus stainless kerbing (1,000) wasnt included the actual cost of the parlour was 7,800 euro fitted with all new pipelines/pulsation/ and all new rubberwear with the clusters/milk pump/ and vaccum pump which was only a year old being the only secondhand parts.
    Once you dont go for acrs/swingover arms/ and all that other fancy gear you can put in a parlour pretty right and if going secondhand with some new bits like milkline/pulsators a 1,000 a unit is achieveable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 toyotad4d

If you have functioning straight troughs, put in a zig zag rump rail, it's one or the other anyway. Steel troughs will cost money and will rust.

Put in your 10 units at 3', the only reason people went less than 2'6" was to squeeze in cows, the straighter the cow is the better for cow flow. 10 units will milk up to 100, ideal for 80, make your money first and build your fancy parlour when you need it, i.e. 120 cows. Nobody has problems with cows kicking unless there's something bad wrong.
    Talk to local Teagasc man about joining a discussion group and go to see plenty parlours. Be wary of sales men.

Hi all im taking out old concreat trough and putting in zig zag managers but would like to know what distance should i put on the first feed manager piece ( piece that needs to be bolted onto wall ) from the pole that is holding on the exit gate my parlour is a 3 ft centre i was told 4ft also what is the recommend width of the passage where the cows stand while milking them my one is only 63 inches from the main wall and the old concreat trough is about a foot and a half from main wall so cows have little space was wondering will i get away without having to widen it as the zig zag feed managers would be giving cows extra space for their front legs it has 6ft pit this parlour was build over 30 years ago has straight rump raills its a night mare most of the time milking in it even though its only 6 unit tis f**kn stressful while milking. incorrect measurements when it was build i was told

You've explained it in good detail, but still hard to understand 2bh, If I were you I'd get onto one or two of the parlour installation lads, and get them to look at the parlour. The design of herringbone parlours has actually come on a huge amount in 30yrs, the stallwork etc in ourown 6unit is probably 40yrs old, and similarly an utter nightmare, esp for large HOs. My parlour repairman was down last year, and pulled out a tape and was able to rattle off about 10 key measurements, most of which were out on my parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

I know exactly what you are talking about here.
    Firstly what kind of cows are you milking? Holstien, fr crosse, jex?

What centres do you want is it 2'6" or 3'?

Are the falls in your floors correct ? what way does it fall and by how much?

I don't know how anyone milks with 3ft centres (ie units going infront of the cows leg), ours is a badly designed 2ft6 centre parlour, but you often have to put the units infront of the leg, Any sort of temperamental cow and she will kickoff units, and during the winter now, when you at least wipe, and often prestripe spins, your arms will be black and blue from getting kicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ye atm were using buckets, put the meal down first and then bring them in, i wouldn't have a hope getting cows up in the parlour with 12 troughs full of meal. The only thing is if ive an odd number in the parlour, say 8 how do i feed them 8 cows? And you cant individualy feed the wonter cows either

Get in touch with dairymaster bout there batch feeders... They hav a shut off valve between each feeder which means if you've 8 to feed in a 12 unit.. Turn off valve after 8th feeder and you'll feed just the 8 cows you want fed....

Tell them I sent ya...I'm flavour of the month with them at the moment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I don't know how anyone milks with 3ft centres (ie units going infront of the cows leg), ours is a badly designed 2ft6 centre parlour, but you often have to put the units infront of the leg, Any sort of temperamental cow and she will kickoff units, and during the winter now, when you at least wipe, and often prestripe spins, your arms will be black and blue from getting kicked!

3ft centres a sick carry on.... Can be a disaster with cows... But it's a complete disaster with heifers....

I know exactly what you are talking about here.
    Firstly what kind of cows are you milking? Holstien, fr crosse, jex?

What centres do you want is it 2'6" or 3'?

Are the falls in your floors correct ? what way does it fall and by how much?
    im milking fr cows they wouldnt b as big as holstiens but are good strong cows about 50/50 holstien/ fr if you no what i mean like it is a 6 unit 3ft centre parlour but iv decided to make it into a 2.6 centre iv broken out the straight concreat trough today and i will b putting in new feed managers shortly these feed managers are made for parlours with 2.6 so i will be able to fit 2 more units into my parlour without having to break down any walls The main question is how wide will i have to make the passage were the cows stand while milking this measurement must be from the main wall were the managers will be bolted onto to the kerb and how long should it be from the pole holding on the front gate to the end for eight unit parlour I do know that the gate should be when closed at 50 degrees angle the pit at the moment is 6 ft wide and the passage where cows stand when milking at the moment is 63 inches from main wall to end of kerb. The cows only had about 45 ish inches when the old straight concret trough was in it

toyotad4d wrote: »
    im milking fr cows they wouldnt b as big as holstiens but are good strong cows about 50/50 holstien/ fr if you no what i mean like it is a 6 unit 3ft centre parlour but iv decided to make it into a 2.6 centre iv broken out the straight concreat trough today and i will b putting in new feed managers shortly these feed managers are made for parlours with 2.6 so i will be able to fit 2 more units into my parlour without having to break down any walls The main question is how wide will i have to make the passage were the cows stand while milking this measurement must be from the main wall were the managers will be bolted onto to the kerb and how long should it be from the pole holding on the front gate to the end for eight unit parlour I do know that the gate should be when closed at 50 degrees angle the pit at the moment is 6 ft wide and the passage where cows stand when milking at the moment is 63 inches from main wall to end of kerb. The cows only had about 45 ish inches when the old straight concret trough was in it

From wall to edge of pit should be 74/75 inches. You should have 2.5" lip on the pit side inside your 4 uprights to prevent cows falling into pit or their legs falling in. This is usually achieved wit kerbing.

From wall to edge of pit should be 74/75 inches. You should have 2.5" lip on the pit side inside your 4 uprights to prevent cows falling into pit or their legs falling in. This is usually achieved wit kerbing.

Around page 26 may help

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/FarmBldgsConfProceedings.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭visatorro

toyotad4d wrote: »

i did the same job a couple of years ago. i left it seventy inches from the wall to the curb. the framework is sixty eight inches from the wall. i have medium sized cows and i could have left it even an inch narrower. it happened a couple of times that a cow was able to push back and get caught in the manger behind her. i think from from the front pole back the where the gate at the back closes is two hundred and thiry inches

• Advertisement

Thanks ya i was talking to tom ryan dismorn and he told me alot about dimentions and sizes but il be making my passage around 70-72 inches itl suit my cows hopefully

visatorro wrote: »
    i did the same job a couple of years ago. i left it seventy inches from the wall to the curb. the framework is sixty eight inches from the wall. i have medium sized cows and i could have left it even an inch narrower. it happened a couple of times that a cow was able to push back and get caught in the manger behind her. i think from from the front pole back the where the gate at the back closes is two hundred and thiry inches
    Thanks for the info il be making the passage 70 inches aswell but was told to keep the bottom bar of the rum raill about 65 or 66 inches from the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

If you're building a milking parlour under the same roof as the cubicle shed, does the parlour have to be walled off to the roof and completely sealed off? I know the dairy does but I didn't think it was the case for the parlour. But teagasc advisor disagrees with me :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you're building a milking parlour under the same roof as the cubicle shed, does the parlour have to be walled off to the roof and completely sealed off? I know the dairy does but I didn't think it was the case for the parlour. But teagasc advisor disagrees with me :confused::confused:

Our parlours only got 4 foot high walls, cubicle sheds under same roof have been inspected by department lad and he said noting so im guessing your Teagasc lads talkin crap.
    RE walls cows are much happier been able to see around them when milked also no high walls means a lot brighter parlour

Get in touch with dairymaster bout there batch feeders... They hav a shut off valve between each feeder which means if you've 8 to feed in a 12 unit.. Turn off valve after 8th feeder and you'll feed just the 8 cows you want fed....

cant buy any other make machine or feeders here only fullwood. The uncle would disown me if i did. Im getting a very good deal on the parlour and feeders and milk tank thanks to him :)

how much are d dairymaster batch feeders tinking of putting them in in janurary any problems with them do the augers ever get cloged or anything itl be for an 8 unit parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hay_for_sale

jayk1 wrote: »
    hi all, thinking of starting up dairy on the home farm again. have a lofted 16.6ft x 4 span long dairy on the farm no longer in use. was a 8unit 3ftcentres parlour in it with room for 2 more units.
    seeing as ya would be milking for d nxt 30+ years, would you get the old shed up and goin with a 3ft parlour or widen it n go for 2.6, 2.4 parlour?

Just wondering did you widen the parlour in the end? I'm in the same situation but widening seems like a huge job. wall to wall in my parlour is 15ft8

Advertisement