Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

building milking parlour

Options
  • 06-11-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi all, thinking of starting up dairy on the home farm again. have a lofted 16.6ft x 4 span long dairy on the farm no longer in use. was a 8unit 3ftcentres parlour in it with room for 2 more units.
    seeing as ya would be milking for d nxt 30+ years, would you get the old shed up and goin with a 3ft parlour or widen it n go for 2.6, 2.4 parlour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Widen and go for 2ft6 centers! 3ft centers are annoying with any sort of kickers, cows can move back and forward too much, say you have a small cow behind a big cow, can be hard to get at her. And then you have more walking with the 3ft centers.

How deep is the pit in it also? Many older pits are too shallow, meaning too much bending over, your back will be in bits after a yr or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jayk1

depth of pit is grand, its at waist height dont know the exact measurement. what length of shed would you need for a 10 or 12 unit 2,6center parlour including dairy?

Teagasc have sample drawings up for some common parlours, I don't know where on their website they are now 2bh, but do a search and you should find them. They include all the measurements etc, very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You never mentioned how many cows you plan to milk. That's where you start thinking of unit numbers.

If you can put in 10 units at 3ft without more work and expense, it will easily get you by for 50 cows.

plan to milk 70 - 80cows unless i can swap land with nieghbours to mayb go to 100. 3ft centres would work but easier to do renovation now than when i am milking ya know, i would be inclined to widen the shed and have cows at better angles n shorter pit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fiat10090dt

u can move uints back on 3ft centers and milk from behind ,i have fitted to of these parlours in pasted and have worked well 10 uints are plenty for 70&80cows

would you put in straight rump rail or zig zag? also there is straight concrete troughs still in d shed or would zig zag steel troughs be better for cows standing?

If there is a straight concrete trough, and its in ok nick, then I would fire in zigzag rails. I'm not sure if you can get them to suit 3ft centres?

Thats assuming you aren't planning on any sort of high input cows who will need individual troughs for feed to yield in the parlour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

jayk1 wrote: »
    would you put in straight rump rail or zig zag? also there is straight concrete troughs still in d shed or would zig zag steel troughs be better for cows standing?

If you have functioning straight troughs, put in a zig zag rump rail, it's one or the other anyway. Steel troughs will cost money and will rust.

Put in your 10 units at 3', the only reason people went less than 2'6" was to squeeze in cows, the straighter the cow is the better for cow flow. 10 units will milk up to 100, ideal for 80, make your money first and build your fancy parlour when you need it, i.e. 120 cows. Nobody has problems with cows kicking unless there's something bad wrong.
    Talk to local Teagasc man about joining a discussion group and go to see plenty parlours. Be wary of sales men.

well the concrete trough on one side was removed, other in ok condition. no feed to yield or anything to start with or anything anyway. another option could be to narrow the pit to 4ft n use 2.6 centers any experience of this?

• Advertisement

i'd take out troughs and put in mangers those troughs are a balls cow get up into them and **** around , any cow high output and low input still has to be feed ,The cow stavers dont tell about the 25 to 35% of there cows who have be culled or go dead lorrie

4ft pit works well just have nothing hanging down ,shorter pluse tuber and milk tubes = better airflow at end of long milk tube = faster milking

have nothing hanging down as in swing over clusters? what about teat sprayers n hoses?

swing over no arms needed no drop hoses ,one long hose for teat spary works well

so get swing over? never seen one long hose for teat spray. would you be inclined to stay at 3ft centers or narrow the pit by a foot n go 2.6?

simple swing over 2x2 pulasion 200to300cc claws 3"milkline 3"pulasionline ,i'd go for 2ft6" centres if u have to put in new stall its easy to change centers and 3ft&2ft6" mangers are same price

yea that sounds like a good setup, would also like to put in a dumpline from the start, so much easier milking with one i feel. loft for meal not ideal but better than spending money on bin and augers?

even u have dump line u still need dump buckets for bestings ,i never see point in dumplines on small parlours just need more water detergent ,loft will be grand lots of sh feeders come on dd latley
    where bouts ru?

people say cows dont like low dark parlours but i suppose with lights and them being used to it, it wouldn't matter. i'm in wexford. also what about jars? suppose with 4ft pit jars would be in the way?

no space for jars in 4ft pit just keep it simple

• Advertisement

what size bulk tank would i need for 70cows in peak for 3day collection?

1000 to 1200 gallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

what size bulk tank would i need for 70cows in peak for 3day collection?

1500 gal min imo ..leave yourself room for periods of high bursts of milk ( may usually)and some expansion oppertunities.... no real savings on buying smaller tank

Esp if you go the grant route. Was looking for a tank around the 1500gls myself, and ended up getting 2400, very little in the diff in the end price to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I think you should go milk in a few milking parlours first so you can get a feel for it. Used do relief milking, milked in a lot of parlours. Nicest and quickest was a 10 unit with no gimmicks or frills just the clusters and teat spray lines. Milked 100 cows in an hour. Milked in a 16 unit with everything, found it a nightmare and took longer. Cow flow is the most important thing in a parlour I think. Get them in and out fast

i've milked in a few different parlours over the years, nicest was a 10 unit swing over with dumpline, basic parlour after that, cow flow is is very important, i wouldnt be too fussed on frills as long as it works well n lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

i've milked in a few different parlours over the years, nicest was a 10 unit swing over with dumpline, basic parlour after that, cow flow is is very important, i wouldnt be too fussed on frills as long as it works well n lasts

The need for a dumpline would depend on the amount of cows you will milk. Fierce handy in the spring if you have autumn calving cows but otherwise wouldn't really see the need

my theory on dumplines is if youve got enough cows to take, milk em last , pull the pipe out of tank and hey presto you gotta dumpline made outta your milking line... other wise use a bucket for the odd one ..

ive held cows behind to milk last before n after using dumpline jst less hassle. but money will determine putting one in or not.

different topic; do yas think it will be hard to get co-ops to take new milk after 2015 if alot of lads get into it?

• Advertisement

dont think so ... no such thing as a free lunch however ... glanbia will look for 2c/l on new milk and a minimum shareholding is loosly enforced but there all the same... where are u located

Advertisement