Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Dinosaur

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Leaked footage from Planet Dinosaur show. Just got this from a good friend! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCMkV_GYf4w&feature=player_detailpage

Looks great IMO. Not all of it, but I bet the final product will be impressive XD What do u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The finished footage looks amazing!
    I can even see where the 3D effects will be implemented. This could actually be one of teh few films worth seeing in the third dimension! :eek:

So, what is that single horned theropod? Some sort of abelisaurid?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, what is that single horned theropod? Some sort of abelisaurid?

Yes, looks a lot like a Majungasaurus to me.

I think you're right. didn't realize he was horny as well as ugly...

majungasaurus-colour.jpg&sa=X&ei=1nAUTqeLM4O2hAfEp_jgDQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHrRH0rKrC-ZCH7g788FiecHfiTpQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Did I see a spinosaurus grabbing a ray or shark or something in there?

Rubecula wrote: »

Looks like it. certainly gave that other theropod the heebie-jeebies!

Rubecula wrote: »

It's a saw fish. I remember reading that a saw fish vertebra was found stuck in a Spinosaurus' teeth, and saw fish fossils were common in Spinosaurus habitat :>

Trailer:

491147-planet-dinosaur.jpg

Trailer:

491147-planet-dinosaur.jpg

Awesome image, and the trailer is great :D Some of the dinos look just ok, but I'm excited anyways :D
    By the way, seems that they couldn´t resist the temptation of including a Spinosaurus vs Carcharodontosaurus fight ala Jurassic Park III XD
    That's cool tho; I wouldn´t resist either.

• Advertisement

From what I've seen so far I'm thinking the CG is not quite as good as Dinosaur Revolution (that ceratopsian for example looked kind of textureless).
    Not that I am complaining. We're very lucky to be getting two high quality dinoCGmentaries considering we had March of the Dinosaurs not long ago.

From what I've seen so far I'm thinking the CG is not quite as good as Dinosaur Revolution (that ceratopsian for example looked kind of textureless).
    Not that I am complaining. We're very lucky to be getting two high quality dinoCGmentaries considering we had March of the Dinosaurs not long ago.

Agreed, some dinos look better than others. Spinosaurus for example looks awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Looks great :D When is it out??

September 14th.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014m55k

September is dinosaur month.

Dinosaur revolution
    Planet dinosaur
    Jurassic Park BluRay
    Jurassic Park in the cinema

It is a golden age...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

September 14th.

September is dinosaur month.

Dinosaur revolution
    Planet dinosaur
    Jurassic Park BluRay
    Jurassic Park in the cinema

It is a golden age...

Thought the blu ray was not out to buy until late October?

having rechecked, you are correct :(

Don't forget guys Planet Dinosaur starts tomorrow on BBC1 at 20:30.
    First episode is Carcharosontosaurus versus Spinosaurus! :D

Hopefully someone will tape it for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

I know one of the shows consultants, and he seems pretty excited by this show so I'm looking forward to it. Apparently it's going to be giving the dinos personas, but not overtly fictionalising things

I just noticed when I posted 'tomorrow' it was after midnight, so its actually on tomorrow, not today.
    WEDNESDAY! :P

bump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Not too bad actually. I had a few issues with the animation. Slightly too cartoony vibe. The Spinosaurus' tail seemed a little too short. The skulls had that stretched quality, where you can see all the fenestrae through the skin. But not too bad. Enjoyable, and I really liked how there was constant reference to scientific studies. For one, gives me papers to look up. No, I'm pleased enough. Plus John Hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thoroughly enjoyed that. John Hurt narrated it well, and the info was good. They didn't say "this happened" or "that happened" They said "this MAY have happened" or "evidence shows this is probable". Excellent program, I will be watching the next episode if I am home from work next week.

Edit: Just watching "Dinosaurs, Myth and Monsters on BBC 4.

Was not overly impressed tbh. I felt that the animation was a big let down as I was expecting a lot more on that front. At times it felt like I was watching something more akin to an Xbox game that was lauded for it's graphics when it forst came out but that was a few years past that stage now.

Thought the info side of things was aimed for a younger audience (which it may well have been) and would have preferred a more substantial (and more detailed) amount of information.

Will still tune in next week though to see if things get better.:D

watched this the other day. My wonderful girlfriend recorded it for me. Must say I thought it was much MUCH better than Dinosaur revolution. The narrator was excellent. The referencing of actual scientific discoveries was refreshing. Best of all IMO was the lack of ad bumpers / jump cut reminders/previews (wrecked my head while watching Dinosaur Revolution).
    The amount of information they packed into half an hour was impressive. I look forward to episode 2 'Feathered Dragons' which will feature Epidexipteryx and Microraptor (among others):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0151tyd

You can watch episode 1 on the website now (for the next month):

Watched it too, downloaded it. It's awesome :D I too liked it better than the two first episodes of Dinosaur Revolution (the only ones I've seen so far). I love it that the episode portrays Spinosaurus as a normal animal and not an unstoppable juggernaut, but at the same time, it doesn´t take the badass out of it. I hope obnoxious dino-buffs stop implying that Spinosaurus was a wimp just because of its being largely a fish-eater.
    The only complaint I have about the Spinosaurus is that it's tail seemed a little bit too short, as if truncated. Also, the Spinosaurus' CG quality was better than the other dinosaurs, as if, being the star, the budget had been dedicated mostly to it XD

It's a shame that we didn´t get to see Deltadromeus or Paralititan but oh well, you can´t have everything in this life :D

Watched it too - Thought it was great. Downloaded Jurassic CSI there now. Gunna give it a look..

Second episode is on tonight at 20:30 on BBC1. Just in case anyone forgot.

Yup, looking forward to it. It's going to be about feathered dinosaurs.

Watched that Myths & Monsters documentary yesterday (the wonderful missus recorded that too cause she's awesome). Nice doc. No info that hadn't been covered in older documentaries, but it was well structured.

Previews of tonight's episode of Planet Dinosaur here (not available in ireland though, WAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kkmk2

• Advertisement

That was freakin' awesome!
    Two docs on BBC4 now. more later :D

Advertisement