Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What TV programmes are you watching? May contain SPOILERS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am still enjoying Downton and looking forward to Mr. Selfridge returning, also watching the new series of Homeland, and himself is watching the new Lewis.

You know, when Last of the Summer Wine ended it left a void for gentle, simple and silly television. I sorta hoped there might be a spin off of some kind but alas no, nada, and nothing similar cropped up. We thought, where has all the silliness gone? 'Bring back silly!' we said. And now they have! I've been watching Detectorists on BBC4, written and directed by, and starring Mackenzie Crook, it is brilliant, gentle, daft, and funny. I even got himself hooked on it, and that's saying something! Its being repeated during the week so if you like silly and funny, check it out and let me know what you think. Its on Thursday night, and repeated late on Fridays and Mondays. (I wish I was on commission)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jy45z

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Watching a couple of box sets at the moment,

Perception - enjoyable crime drama with Eric McCormick (Will from Will & Grace) as a mentally ill University Professor who helps out the FBI. He has "episodes" where he sees delusions which is his subconscious giving him clues
    & The Blacklist - James Spader is brilliant. I cant explain it, you have to watch it, but its got me hooked with its intrigue

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Recently started watching Game of Thrones and it is great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I like Autumnwatch (and Springwatch earlier in the year)

We gave up Spring/Autumnwatch when they got rid of Bill Oddie. I'm sure its still good but just different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I've just started watching "An Brontannas" - the second episode is on tonight on tg4 but you can watch it from the start on the TG4 player online.

Its good so far! Dark but interesting with the odd funny touch!

Watched Mr. Selfridge last week. The writers seem to have skipped over something important. I feel like I've missed such a lot since it was last on and now I've forgotten who, what, where, when, how, why. Maybe it will come back to me next week.

Saw Last Tango in Halifax last week too. Storyline is becoming way too complicated. Every minute there is a shock! horror! what? oh no! moment. Its tiring and I'm having to force myself to watch it now. I'm afraid it may be becoming a..........a SOAP! Aaaarrrrggghhh!

However, all's not lost as we are now hooked on the new Danish series 'The Legacy' on Sky Arts1. Very interesting storyline and excellent characters.

Otherwise we are interspersing all this with our Christmas gifts of DVD's we received.

I agree with you Jellybaby about Last Tango in Halifax - its become too soap opera -ish - I'm just watching it out of a sense of loyalty at this stage.

The Legacy is getting really brill at this stage ( it was a slow starter for me) - I reckon that having got the legacy of the house - she ( Signe I think she's called) will loose it somehow. I found all those Danish Dramas on TV to be really good. I really miss Borgen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Watched True Detective - it was ok, I wouldn't rave about it
    Started watching Bones box set from series 1 - seems entertaining enough rubbish

Caught up with the latest of The Legacy tonight. Hope I'm not giving anything away, but I am warming to Frederik. Thought he was a cold character in the beginning but now I just feel sorry for him. I think I might be bilingual, am learning Danish every week - I can say Hi! in Danish........Hi! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

So far this year I have watched one episode of Top Gear, two episodes of West Wing (from different series) and one episode of Gotham.
    I'm dropping Top Gear and West Wing from my viewing list.

I will however watch the 6 nations tournament and the entire F1 season.

With all that free time my playstation gets a thorough workout.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Don't give up on The West Wing OG, best TV series ever in my humble opinion. Wonderful writing, wonderful actors and for anyone with an interest in American politics essential viewing. Series 5 is the weakest season but get through that and series 6 and 7 finish off back on a high again.

I enjoy the Father Brown series in the afternoon schedules on BBC ( I record them) Sorcha Cusack is brilliant as the oul gossip

Speaking of Ms. Cusack and any of the British detective series, has anyone else noticed that the same actors keep popping up in each and every one of them! Midsomer, Marple, Morse, Lewis, Poirot, Frost, Foyle etc. Those Casting Directors have a right easy time of it. They all must have the same list of actors and just close their eyes and stick a pin in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Midsomer must have the biggest cemetery anywhere, and its funny you never see any 'for sale' signs on the houses.

That's because the residents are usually knocked off before they get a chance to sell up and get outta the place! :D

these are the sorts of shows I enjoy though. Much better Than Big Brother or reality stuff

Looking forward to a new Danish period drama series called "1864" on BBC 4 starting this Saturday night. Its made by the same people who made Borgen , The Bridge and The Killing - so hopefully it should be good.

I hate Sat night TV!

I never watch tv on Saturday as I am always doing my show. I think I must have missed a lot of good and bad shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

DareDevil - Action Packed, smash yo face in, I'm 5 eps in and she's getting very good.
    A blind lawyer, with his other senses superhumanly enhanced, fights crime as a costumed superhero.

The Good Wife - Lawyer show, very well written, genius really. Selective amnesia wouldn't be a bad thing here, I'd rewatch this flying.
    Alicia has been a good wife to her husband, a former state's attorney. After a very humiliating sex and corruption scandal, he is behind bars. She must now provide for her family and returns to work as a litigator in a law firm.

Person of Interest - Hard to describe, 2 guys save people but it's the background ep to ep story thats constantly building thats brill. Can't say anything, don't want to ruin it. It's just finishing Series 4. My Fav for a few years now.
    An ex-assassin and a wealthy programmer save lives via a surveillance AI that sends them the identities of civilians involved in impending crimes. However, the details of the crimes--including the civilians' roles--are left a mystery.

Scorpion - A group of geniuses with different backgrounds use their brains to solve the current weeks problem, only 1 season so far.
    An eccentric genius forms an international network of super-geniuses to act as the last line of defense against the complicated threats of the modern world.

That's 4 of about 35 I'm watching....lol.

• Advertisement

^ ^ ^^I dont know any of the other programmes but The Good Wife is really good!

Watching the second series of 'The Legacy' on SkyArts. Last week it had me in knots as I left the world of the small screen (in my mind) and I truly believed what was happening in front of me. I actually screamed at the TV! Great acting! Omigosh Frederik! Oh good grief Gro! Aw poor Emil. Don't do it Signe!! What will happen to Melody? How did Thomas and Isa get together in the first place? Great stuff this. So many questions. Can't wait for next week.

Thanks Jellybaby - I didnt know it was back on. I will watch out for it

Red Hare wrote: »
    Thanks Jellybaby - I didnt know it was back on. I will watch out for it

I don't know if its watchable from the first one this season anywhere on d'internet. But if you want me to update you let me know and I can PM you.

Did it just start back last week - Friday night - I think its repeated on Wed Nights, so maybe I will be able to watch it from the start?

Just checked and you're right, it is repeated on Wed at 11pm. I've just seen two programmes so far. I'm not a hundred per cent sure if I missed one or not but I don't think so. Anyway, so far, its just as good as the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Call the Midwife - and I love it. Watched the fourth season a while after the first three and then went back to the start again /cough. The Red Nose Day special ad was also fairly funny. "SHUT UP VANESSA REDGRAVE!"

I tend to say the same thing during the episodes. The voice-over of "Mature Jenny" giving her worldly-wise musings always annoy me as they are just a wee bit...saccharine.

I love 'Midwife' too. Funny thing is, 'mature Jenny' shouldn't still be narrating it as 'young and lovely Jenny' left the convent ages ago! How would she know what was going on after she left then? Maybe they're trying to keep 'elderly Vanessa in work'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I recently read the book and really enjoyed it - it made some things that happened in the show make more sense too. The backstory of Frank and Peggy (the workhouse inmates/spoilerincest storyline) and Jane from Season 1 is absolutely tragic and the nuns reaction to it does make more sense. And the bit where Jenny jumps into the swimming pool with the rest and Jimmy is being a dolt as usual, then she has an asthma attack looks like rather cheap ANGST in the show, but is set up better in the stories.

Also, show-Jimmy was a right brat. Did he ever make an appearance that didn't include passive-aggressive snipes at Jenny for not being madly in love with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭cobham

Seems like no program to look forward to now that The Good Wife has ended its recent season. I missed the first season of The Legacy. Would not that make it difficult to view the second?

Advertisement