Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone Unlocking Clare

• 20-08-2012 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Would anyone know is there any shop in Clare, I'd assume Ennis area that provides a service to unlock mobile phones?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What kind of phone are you looking to get unlocked? You might be able to do it yourself.

RD Mobiles (eMobile now I think) on O'Connell St. would be your best bet I'd say, there's also a place down past Martin Heaney's/Charlie Stewarts that has a sign in the window for unlocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I'll try those places thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Most Androids are already unlocked. If not you usually can download a simple firmware upgrade that will not only update the android operating system it will at the same time remove any restrictions that were put on by any companies.

http://techdraginfo.blogspot.com/2012/06/install-official-android-236-xwktm.html

http://techdraginfo.blogspot.com/2012/05/install-android-404-ics-update-on.html

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Samsung+Galaxy+Ace+firmware+upgrade&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I have three android phones, all Samsung, which I have done this myself at home. It only takes about 10 minutes. Best part, even if you screw up and the phone will not boot, don't worry! They have an emergency recovery system that you can use to fix it. I have a generic android tablet which I bought off eBay for €70 that is better than an ipad that I have been updating with a hacked version of android (uberdroid it is called) and the first time I installed the firmware it crashed. You can try over and over till you get it right without worry of 'bricking' your phone.

Just make sure to back up your contacts. Since it is an android if you setup the sync it will copy your contact info to your Google Gmail account and you won't even have to worry about manually doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

could anyone tell me where a blackberry could be unlocked?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To be honest I'm not sure of the legality of unlocking phones and I'm sure the Android forum would be best placed to answer the questions, I'll eave a redirect in Clare in case anyone wants to find out more (I think the shops listed above would be best placed to look after the issues in brick & mortar btw).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Clareman,

It is not illegal to unlock a mobile phone provided its yours.

I investigated this myself and for certain, if it is your phone you have the right to unlock it.

Its illegal to use someone else's mobile phone without permission or consume drugs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    could anyone tell me where a blackberry could be unlocked?

http://www.freemyblackberry.com

It's excellent and free for a 24-48hr turn around service or a couple of euro for a 20min turn around service. I've used it lots

Advertisement