Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA Euro 2012 Cup

• 05-05-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

Well lads....

I have an idea for a cup competition for Fantasy Euro 2012 and want to know who's interested in taking part in it and I also want to know what ideas people have for it.

The idea is that there will be 16 teams in the cup, just like in the Euros. Every entrant will have a National team assigned to them. I will assign teams randomly. Lets say I get Ireland assigned to me. My group will consist of my team and the 3 other teams that are assigned to Craotia, Italy and Spain. In the first GW I'll go head to head with the team that has Croatia assigned to them. And then Italy and Spain. After the first 3 GW's the top 2 teams in each group go through. The fixtures for the quarter finals will be done the same way as they are done in the Euros where the winners of one group will play second in the next. So, say I come first with Ireland in my group, I'll play whoever came second in group D in the quarter finals. And we'll go from there.

It is essentially a fantasy Euro 2012 cup where everything is the same only we are going by fantasy points instead of the actual real-life scores. And the teams are 16 different people on this forum. The nice thing about it is that everyone will get a minimum of 3 games because of the group stage.

So....... Leave a reply saying if you're interested or not. I can imagine that we'll easily get 16 people (there is about 6 or 7 already). So.... leave suggestions on what to do. My idea is that if we get 32/48/64 teams than we will do 2, 3 or 4 cups respectively. And the winner of each cup will go head to head at the end of it all and whoever has the highest overall score wins it outright. Another suggestion is that, if there is 2 cups, that one be a paid cup and one be a free to enter one and you can only enter one of them.

Let me know if you want in anyways but 64 people has to be the absolute maximum unless a ridiculous amount of people want to enter. It's first come first served.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

In

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Yup, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In, I wouldn't be interested in paid though probably. Someone mentioned in other thread about pairing up to combine points, I wouldn't be too keen on this idea, for the sole reason of the reliance of the other player. Separate cups on the prospect of it exceeding 16 seems the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Im in! Not sure about the scoring though? How exactly will it work? If i get a team (say Ukraine or whoever) How do i get points? Do i get points based on the total of ukraine's squads fantasy team for each game they play or do you mean my own personal score after each gameweek and i am just given a country so it is irrelavant who you actually get?

I realise this may sound redundant but just to clear things up:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Im in! Not sure about the scoring though? How exactly will it work? If i get a team (say Ukraine or whoever) How do i get points? Do i get points based on the total of ukraine's squads fantasy team for each game they play or do you mean my own personal score after each gameweek and i am just given a country so it is irrelavant who you actually get?

I realise this may sound redundant but just to clear things up:o

The country you're assigned will mean nothing other than the group you start in. Your points will be counted just as they would be normally.

So if you get Ukraine, all that will mean is that you'll be competing head-to-head with the players who get Sweden, England, and France (ie other teams from Ukraine's group).

• Advertisement

FatRat, I remember in the last Euro's the in game head to head leagues actually worked based on the format of the competition, ie group stage then QF, SF and Final. It might be worth checking out if its the case again this year, might save you having to check all the scores after each gameweek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

KevIRL wrote: »
    FatRat, I remember in the last Euro's the in game head to head leagues actually worked based on the format of the competition, ie group stage then QF, SF and Final. It might be worth checking out if its the case again this year, might save you having to check all the scores after each gameweek

If that's the case than everything's sorted. Everyone could just join into a Boards head to head. I've never played a WC or Euros fantasy game before so I didn't know of this. I do know there is a "Fans Tournament" but that's a worldwide competition (afaik)

FatRat wrote: »
    If that's the case than everything's sorted. Everyone could just join into a Boards head to head. I've never played a WC or Euros fantasy game before so I didn't know of this.

Well like I said would definitely be worth checking out, you would then just have to organise x number of head to head leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

carlcon wrote: »
    The country you're assigned will mean nothing other than the group you start in. Your points will be counted just as they would be normally.

So if you get Ukraine, all that will mean is that you'll be competing head-to-head with the players who get Sweden, England, and France (ie other teams from Ukraine's group).

Cheers for clearing that up! Im good to go so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

In

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

In

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

In. Is this a cash game though? Would be interested in that spice things up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

manual_man wrote: »
    In. Is this a cash game though? Would be interested in that spice things up a bit

Agreed. Same for the other Euro league, would be good to do a cash league but we'd need an escrow.

roryc wrote: »

Agreed. Same for the other Euro league, would be good to do a cash league but we'd need an escrow.

I'm sure someone could step up. 15 quid a head would get a fair few in I'd say. Could always do a bigger money comp. if there was demand for that too. Plenty of time til it gets underway

Yeh, I'd love a paid cup myself it'd make it alot more worthwhile. But it all depends on whether or not 16 people would be interested in paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Still time to join? I'd be into it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭cullenswood

In

FatRat wrote: »
    Yeh, I'd love a paid cup myself it'd make it alot more worthwhile. But it all depends on whether or not 16 people would be interested in paying.

I reckon that wouldn't be a problem. Just need to get the logistics of it set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Id be interested in it if you still need numbers

Id be interested in it if you still need numbers

Definitely need numbers but I also need to find out who's interested in a paid cup. I'll start sorting this cup our once FPL ends for good tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just as a matter of interest, because I've never done it before, but how will paid cup operate? How do we contribute money to paid cup and then how do we reclaim that money if we do so?

I won't be in country during or after tournament. If it's logistical, and if you can set a timeline for amount to be paid per head and decree of what
    amount is to be paid to enter, then I'd be interested in a paid cup.

Just as a matter of interest, because I've never done it before, but how will paid cup operate? How do we contribute money to paid cup and then how do we reclaim that money if we do so?

I won't be in country during or after tournament. If it's logistical, and if you can set a timeline for amount to be paid per head and by which date, and decree what amount is to be paid to enter, then I'd be interested in a paid cup.

Paypal. Entry and prize money/monies would be agreed in advance. A quick poll, or even a discussion thread, (or both),would work things out fairly quickly. The only problem is finding who to administrate the thing. He'll probly kick me with his Mod super-power left peg, but i'd nominate Ade :pac:

This is an idea, users can give their input, but this is what i'd propose:

16 players, €15 entry a head

Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd

1st: €125
    2nd: €75
    3rd: €40

3rd to the losing semi-finalist with the best gameweek score obviously

Have a deadline for entries so we make sure everyone's paid up, if not, i'm sure there'd be someone eager to step in and take their place. Shouldn't pose any problems i don't think. Anyway let's see what everyone has to say about it, and hopefully we can come to a consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Im in if theres still space!

There's still space alright! Hopefully more will enter now that FPL is over. I'll then update the OP with all the entrants and we'll go from there. (Even if we have more than 16 or 32).

25 days left til the Euros. People can enter for the next 22 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Im in

Paypal. Entry and prize money/monies would be agreed in advance. A quick poll, or even a discussion thread, (or both),would work things out fairly quickly. The only problem is finding who to administrate the thing. He'll probly kick me with his Mod super-power left peg, but i'd nominate Ade :pac:

This is an idea, users can give their input, but this is what i'd propose:

16 players, €15 entry a head

Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd

1st: €125
    2nd: €75
    3rd: €40

3rd to the losing semi-finalist with the best gameweek score obviously

Have a deadline for entries so we make sure everyone's paid up, if not, i'm sure there'd be someone eager to step in and take their place. Shouldn't pose any problems i don't think. Anyway let's see what everyone has to say about it, and hopefully we can come to a consensus

I think that 15 is grand for entry. But I think 1st should get a bit more than 2nd and 3rd than what you're suggesting. 175 for the winner. 45 for 2nd and 20 for 3rd. I think this is fair because it is, afterall, a cup. And cup winners should be the main winners and have a substantially bigger prize. But this is just what I think. As for 3rd, 3rd place would have lost in the semi-final so I think they'd only really deserve their money back with a consolation fiver thrown in. This is just what I think though.

Regarding me saying "There is space alright" above... I actually didn't take into account entrants from the other thread so we actually have exactly 16 before Local_Chap's post. At the moment with Thepoet85 in, we have 18 entrants. But at the rate people are entering, we'll make 32 entrants. Also have to find out who wants to be in the paid league. Paid league will run the same as the non-paid one if we get 32. It will be first-come first served too. (So, say 16 of the 18 we have want to be in the paid league then there will be no more entries for the paid one because it's already full. UNLESS we get another 16 entrants who want to be in a paid one). The one rule is you can only be in 1 league. I think that's fair.

Can't edit the OP to put the entrants names in so I'll post em here:

First 16

FatRat
    Copper-Pipe
    Carlcon
    Formation
    WoollyRedHat
    SpaceCowb0y
    Fr. Larry Duff
    KevIRL
    Jimmy-Iovine
    Lemlin
    RoryC
    Captain-Bob
    Manual-Man
    ThegreenGoblin
    Cullenswood
    Munster Magic

Standby Entrants
    Local_Chap
    Thepoet85

yep it's tricky to figure out how to divide prize money. always. How about we set up a poll for the entry fee amount for a start? 15, 20, or 25. I think 10 is too little :p

• Advertisement

yep it's tricky to figure out how to divide prize money. always. How about we set up a poll for the entry fee amount for a start? 15, 20, or 25. I think 10 is too little :p

Dunno. Doubt we'll get many votes on the poll. I think we should just decide on this forum. But I think the winner is priority and should get nearly all of the money. But if we're using paypal there is always fees to worry about. With the money going into 1 account and then back out to the winners, we'd probably lose around 20 quid in fees.

Advertisement