Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

At the top of every forum on the right hand side is search this forum. That refines the search to the forum your in. 7GPFsm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

ken wrote: »
    At the top of every forum on the right hand side is search this forum. That refines the search to the forum your in. 7GPFsm.png

Thank you, see it now... I'm on Iphone so need to switch to full site for that option... Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

shuffle65 wrote: »
    How do you attach photos?
    Officially you cant as you need to have at least 50 posts under your belt.

But there is some way of doing it as some of the more PC literate posters here might be able to point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

How do you attach photos?

Well..............BrensBenz and Boards-attach-photos are lifelong enemies. I don't understand why Boards makes it so complicated and unreliable. Other Boardies have posted their methods, most require third party software to work and are all different, strongly suggesting that "Boards Help" is useless and the suggested routes have been the result of aimless journeys and failures through endless error messages. The words "primitive" and "user-hostile" come to mind.

However, enough of the rant - it hasn't worked so far!

You need to have the photo stored somewhere, preferably in jpg. format, correctly sized and ready to go. I have photo-manipulation software for this but Microsoft's picture editing may be enough for you. Now, go to Boards and the reply to post window.......
    • Click on the Boards "Paper Clip" icon. The bewilderment is about to start;
    • Click "Choose File", find your photo on your computer and click on it;
    • Boards cleverly(?) include and hide an "Upload" button on the far right of your screen - find it, click it and eventually, Boards will confirm that the photo exists somewhere in Boards but it won't tell you where. It hasn't been "attached" - you now have to go on safari to find and attach it;
    • Now, close (as in "X") the so-called "attach" window - the one that doesn't attach anything;
    • Go back to the "Paper Clip" icon and click on "Manage Attachments" and NOT on your photo;
    • Click on your photo and it will appear on-screen;
    • Copy the URL above your photo and paste it into the "Upload from an URL" window. This doesn't actually do anything but it has become part of my routine;
    • Close that (useless) window and click on the little mountain icon above the "reply" window;
    • Paste the URL in there and close the window. Algebra will appear in your message but no photo yet;
    • Go to "Preview Post" below the reply window and........6 times out of ten, your photo will be visible. If you fall into the other four times, sorry, I can't help!

Using this labyrinthian route, I managed to attach a shot of my giggliest, laughiest grandson below. I shouldn't have to say this - other sites need a max of three simple mouse clicks to attach a photo - but best of luck with this!

329953.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The thanks (ie 'like' :p) is for the babby, who is very cute and made me smile, not for your technical instructions Brens :D

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    The thanks (ie 'like' :p) is for the babby, who is very cute and made me smile, not for your technical instructions Brens :D

I've edited my post on how to attach photos, separating steps from advice and actual experiences. Let's see if Shuffle65 has any success, after he's served his probationary period! (What's THAT about?)

And yes, the little man is super-cute.........but I may be very slightly biased! He's having a sleep-over here tonight so we're busy lifting furniture and stocking up on energy pills. We also had a precautionary sleep-in this morning, although there wasn't much sleepi............wooops, wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

I give up on trying to post photos, you lost me at "Click on the Boards paperclip icon", cause there ain't no paperclip icon... and anyway I appear to be still on probation... Would have liked to show y'all some nice photies but...

I give up on trying to post photos, you lost me at "Click on the Boards paperclip icon", cause there ain't no paperclip icon... and anyway I appear to be still on probation... Would have liked to show y'all some nice photies but...

Welcome to the biggest club on the interweb, the IGUTTAPTB club or the "I Gave Up Trying To Attach Photos To Boards" Club.

I tried to attach a screen shot of the location of the paperclip icon but guess what? Boards fought me all the way!!!!!!!! The paper clip is in the Message Box, next to the smilie face.

330033.png

Perhaps your probationary status is denying you the pleasure of trying to figure out how to attach photos to Boards but, believe me, the wait to attach photos isn't worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Well look at you and your fancy smancy formatting toolbar! I don't have the luxury of one of those, ergo I can't format any text, or attach any photos...

Thanks for being so patient and helpful, and just to clarify, I am and always have been female, it's just that you referred to me as 'he' in an earlier post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Frustration! One of my pet hates is having to deal with American technical sites, where they look for money if you are asking a simple (to them) question.

So is there anyone out there who can answer this question about resetting my wife's Kindle reader...she loves using it but has been deprived of it for weeks now because I can't access any book sites...
    Any help much appreciated...

• Advertisement

CUCINA wrote: »
    Frustration! One of my pet hates is having to deal with American technical sites, where they look for money if you are asking a simple (to them) question.

So is there anyone out there who can answer this question about resetting my wife's Kindle reader...she loves using it but has been deprived of it for weeks now because I can't access any book sites...
    Any help much appreciated...

Have you recently changed your wifi password or upgraded your router? Might be a reason your not getting on.

If that's not the issue try these suggestions. Wikihow is a good i.e. free site for help with fixing stuff. http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Kindle

Thanks, Ken for your rapid response! Yes, you are right, we did recently upgrade the router, so that's where the problem started...
    I will try the site you suggested, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i am running ie8 at them moment, i have downloaded and opened adblockplus more than once, but it does not work, how can i get rid of them peskey ads.

Thanks, Ken for your rapid response! Yes, you are right, we did recently upgrade the router, so that's where the problem started...
    I will try the site you suggested, thanks again!

You probably need to go into the kindles settings and re enter the wifi password. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200690850

Should sort it out straight away.

flutered wrote: »
    i am running ie8 at them moment, i have downloaded and opened adblockplus more than once, but it does not work, how can i get rid of them peskey ads.

Download it here for ie support https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-12-for-internet-explorer-released

Joy! Have just downloaded various books for my other half...thanks again, Ken...I had a blind spot about the password, thinking it was some Kindle password I had forgotten...now, where am I going to put all those brownie points?!

Joy! Have just downloaded various books for my other half...thanks again, Ken...I had a blind spot about the password, thinking it was some Kindle password I had forgotten...now, where am I going to put all those brownie points?!

Glad to be of help. Save them points, owing to the fact you own a pair of testicles your bound to fück up sooner or later sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Right, so I am on my IPad, thingy,

Going on a long flight next year, and It was suggested I load a couple of Films on it to watch in flight.

My favourite movies I have in DVD.

I can watch them on my laptop.

How do I got them onto the IPad?.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Well..............BrensBenz and Boards-attach-photos are lifelong enemies. I don't understand why Boards makes it so complicated and unreliable. Other Boardies have posted their methods, most require third party software to work and are all different, strongly suggesting that "Boards Help" is useless and the suggested routes have been the result of aimless journeys and failures through endless error messages. The words "primitive" and "user-hostile" come to mind.

However, enough of the rant - it hasn't worked so far!

You need to have the photo stored somewhere, preferably in jpg. format, correctly sized and ready to go. I have photo-manipulation software for this but Microsoft's picture editing may be enough for you. Now, go to Boards and the reply to post window.......
    • Click on the Boards "Paper Clip" icon. The bewilderment is about to start;
    • Click "Choose File", find your photo on your computer and click on it;
    • Boards cleverly(?) include and hide an "Upload" button on the far right of your screen - find it, click it and eventually, Boards will confirm that the photo exists somewhere in Boards but it won't tell you where. It hasn't been "attached" - you now have to go on safari to find and attach it;
    • Now, close (as in "X") the so-called "attach" window - the one that doesn't attach anything;
    • Go back to the "Paper Clip" icon and click on "Manage Attachments" and NOT on your photo;
    • Click on your photo and it will appear on-screen;
    • Copy the URL above your photo and paste it into the "Upload from an URL" window. This doesn't actually do anything but it has become part of my routine;
    • Close that (useless) window and click on the little mountain icon above the "reply" window;
    • Paste the URL in there and close the window. Algebra will appear in your message but no photo yet;
    • Go to "Preview Post" below the reply window and........6 times out of ten, your photo will be visible. If you fall into the other four times, sorry, I can't help!

Using this labyrinthian route, I managed to attach a shot of my giggliest, laughiest grandson below. I shouldn't have to say this - other sites need a max of three simple mouse clicks to attach a photo - but best of luck with this!

329953.jpg

I have given the last few years since I joined Boards.ie trying to figure out how to attach a photo to a post, all to no avail despite getting numerous different instructions, and visiting countless photo sites offering the magic formula on how to figure it out. Oh stoopid me. After following your instructions BrensBenz, I couldn't believe my eyes :eek::eek: when as if by magic my picture appeared. I feel like a fkn genius now and am off to join mensa. This is the result of my first uploaded picture on Board.ie. Thank you BrensBenz.
    This by the way is a picture of my gorgeous niece trying to get her shoes right.

maudgone wrote: »
    I have given the last few years since I joined Boards.ie trying to figure out how to attach a photo to a post, all to no avail despite getting numerous different instructions, and visiting countless photo sites offering the magic formula on how to figure it out. Oh stoopid me. After following your instructions BrensBenz, I couldn't believe my eyes :eek::eek: when as if by magic my picture appeared. I feel like a fkn genius now and am off to join mensa. This is the result of my first uploaded picture on Board.ie. Thank you BrensBenz.
    This by the way is a picture of my gorgeous niece trying to get her shoes right.

When I first read this post on my infuriating new phone, I thought "Yesssss! My work here is done!" I swaggered into my leaba like John Wayne and fell asleep with a smug smirk on my face.

However, on reading your post on a proper cumpewher so that I could see the photo of your niece, it seems that I have failed, dismally! I can't see the photo. A silly icon is the only hint that you tried to attach a photo. All filters are off but still nothing! Pasting the algebra (URL) into the magic box doesn't work either.

It would appear that boards has created umpteen ways to cock up the ridiculously simple task of attaching photos. What works for some doesn't work for others. Perhaps, since this thread is about shots of houses and not about nieces or grandsons, boards has a fiendishly clever doodah to filter out shots of people........but I doubt it.

So, Maudgone, back to the drawing board for both of us. It might be simpler, quicker and certainly more reliable, to post photos of your niece, in envelopes, with stamps, to us. PM for address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

martinn123 wrote: »
    Right, so I am on my IPad, thingy,

Going on a long flight next year, and It was suggested I load a couple of Films on it to watch in flight.

My favourite movies I have in DVD.

I can watch them on my laptop.

How do I got them onto the IPad?.

its a two stage process;

firstly you need to convert your dvd file ( MPEG2) to a video file ( MPEG4 or H.264) - the dvd file wont play in a computer/laptop that doesnt have a dvd drive.
    You can use "Handbrake" to convert you dvd file. https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Secondly you need to upload the file to the cloud - use Google Drive to do this and then down load the file from your Google Drive to your ipad.

Brensbenz - try this site to upload your photo http://www.wthax.org/

1) upload photo to wthax
    2) copy code
    3) go to boards.ie and make a post
    4) select the insert image button ( its a square with a mountain and sun on a yellow background)
    5) copy the code into the box
    6) submit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Red Hare wrote: »
    its a two stage process;

firstly you need to convert your dvd file ( MPEG2) to a video file ( MPEG4 or H.264) - the dvd file wont play in a computer/laptop that doesnt have a dvd drive.
    You can use "Handbrake" to convert you dvd file. https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Secondly you need to upload the file to the cloud - use Google Drive to do this and then down load the file from your Google Drive to your ipad.

Thanks for that, I tried something like this before, and created a ''huge'' file in Dropbox, ( the free version )
    It took up all the space available in Dropbox, so I had to delete it
    Does Google Drive work the same way ??

BrensBenz wrote: »
    When I first read this post on my infuriating new phone, I thought "Yesssss! My work here is done!" I swaggered into my leaba like John Wayne and fell asleep with a smug smirk on my face.

However, on reading your post on a proper cumpewher so that I could see the photo of your niece, it seems that I have failed, dismally! I can't see the photo. A silly icon is the only hint that you tried to attach a photo. All filters are off but still nothing! Pasting the algebra (URL) into the magic box doesn't work either.

It would appear that boards has created umpteen ways to cock up the ridiculously simple task of attaching photos. What works for some doesn't work for others. Perhaps, since this thread is about shots of houses and not about nieces or grandsons, boards has a fiendishly clever doodah to filter out shots of people........but I doubt it.

So, Maudgone, back to the drawing board for both of us. It might be simpler, quicker and certainly more reliable, to post photos of your niece, in envelopes, with stamps, to us. PM for address.

So does that mean that no one can see pictures that I put up, or just some can? I can see the picture on my boards post. :(:(

martinn123 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I tried something like this before, and created a ''huge'' file in Dropbox, ( the free version )
    It took up all the space available in Dropbox, so I had to delete it
    Does Google Drive work the same way ??

I have never tried Dropbox because they only have a small amount of space but Google Drive gives you 15 GB - thats a lot. As far as I know they work in the same way - you need to sign up for an account and then get the App for your ipad.

maudgone wrote: »
    So does that mean that no one can see pictures that I put up, or just some can? I can see the picture on my boards post. :(:(

I can see the pic - its of a beautiful baby in an awful Dublin Jersey - up Tipp! :)

Red Hare wrote: »
    I can see the pic - its of a beautiful baby in an awful Dublin Jersey - up Tipp! :)

My pic is of a girl trying to put her shoes on. Is that not showing?
    I agree about the Dublin jersey by the way, up Tipp every time.

This picture?

Yes I can see the image!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Can see pic in post 779 but not the one in 770

Advertisement