Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Company

• 26-02-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a HKC Monitored Alarm installed in a previewed house. It has 10 windows, two doors + a sun-room with another door. Would also need two panic buttons (think they would be wireless). Plus the other usual stuff (sounders, PIRs etc..).

Would also be interested in the key tags if not too expensive.

Who should I ask for quotes?
    How much should I be expecting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

Robertr wrote: »
    Looking to get a HKC Monitored Alarm installed in a previewed house. It has 10 windows, two doors + a sun-room with another door. Would also need two panic buttons (think they would be wireless). Plus the other usual stuff (sounders, PIRs etc..).

Where you based? I'd say you looking at 1200 euro? I'd there some wires in place or all wireless?

Sorry meant to say is there wires in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Robertr

House is wired for alarm already. Sound like more then I had budgeted for!!

House is wired for alarm already. Sound like more then I had budgeted for!!

Ah if wires in place, bar the two panic buttons I'd say 850

Mod edit
    helpmefarm, on this forum promoting a company the way you did here is not allowed, it causes too much unrest and in the past there has been so much shilling here that we have to take a hard line on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have a look here on the PSA website for installers in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe they don't want to provide a basic service and have plans for something else. Who knows

HKCs GSMs / wifi and LAN cards all poll to securecomm .. An attempt to jam would be detected by securecomm and passed on to the end user.
    There are no charges with other companies if using an IP card yes BUT how much will it cost to use a GSM with these other systems to use an app and receive push / voice and text alerts ?

Neither of you have answered this. Cheapest I've found is €120 using only one mobile network.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 marge2006

Can I ask after all this discussion what would be the domestic system of choice for the experts on this forum ? What is installed in your homes and what methods of monitoring do you use ?

Ok so this doesn't start another war on what system is best can you tell us what you want from a system instead of us telling you what we think you want. We can then advise you on a system that will do what you need.

*Eg a free app or paid for app and service.
    *Wired or wireless.
    *PIRs or PIR cameras.
    *Would you like control of heating.
    *Vibration sensors on windows.
    *Notification of complete system failure.
    *self monitoring or monitoring from a third party.

marge2006 wrote: »
    Can I ask after all this discussion what would be the domestic system of choice for the experts on this forum ? What is installed in your homes and what methods of monitoring do you use ?

Ive a HKC system on the house and a RISCO system on the garage.
    I've the systems monitored by a third party.
    I've a smartphone app which I pay yearly for the use of a couple remote servers.
    I get a text and push notification as well as a call from the monitoring station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

marge2006 wrote: »

The system of choice really depends on a number of factors. The type of property the layout and structure. Whether wireless is suitable or wired or a hybrid system.
    There is even locations where one wireless system might struggle but another works perfectly.
    Anyone who tells you one system suits every application or situation does not know very much.
    At Home I have a Siemens hybrid system.
    I have central station monitoring via landline and GSM. I also have notifications via app and IP to email. The GSM will text as well as back up the connection to the central station.
    A little ott for residential but it's used for demonstration purposes also.
    No doubt someone would find vulnerabilities I have anyway.
    What do you have in mind yourself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK I took about two pages of posts out of this as they were full of speculation and more one-upmanship posts.

Please focus on the OPs question and not your own agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice .

I currently have a phonewatch alarm monitored by phonewatch.
    Their monthly charge has increased recently from €17 per month to €25 per month. They are claiming that this now includes maintenance as well as monitoring, but I only want basic monitoring which they will not offer.

Are there cheaper alternatives for monthly monitoring only ?

Thanks in advance,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Hi bob11, how old is your phone watch system?
    Is it a Simon panel, as in a GE manufactured panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Hi Bob

Yes there are cheaper options
    I would recommend getting 3 quotations from PSA registered companies as there can be differences in price and service

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Hopefully Bob does not have their new system other wise he is snookered.

Its the older system as the newer system starts at €35 per month.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kub wrote: »
    Hopefully Bob does not have their new system other wise he is snookered.

Never too early to cut your losses .;)

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just looking for some advice .

I currently have a phonewatch alarm monitored by phonewatch.
    Their monthly charge has increased recently from €17 per month to €25 per month. They are claiming that this now includes maintenance as well as monitoring, but I only want basic monitoring which they will not offer.

Are there cheaper alternatives for monthly monitoring only ?

Thanks in advance,

Monitoring only contracts can lead to undisclosed call out and repair costs.
    I would advise getting this all in the one package.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

kub wrote: »
    Hi bob11, how old is your phone watch system?
    Is it a Simon panel, as in a GE manufactured panel?

Is was installed in 2010, its a concord panel, I think , Large white box with 2 antennae at the top ..

• Advertisement

bob11 wrote: »
    Is was installed in 2010, its a concord panel, I think , Large white box with 2 antennae at the top ..

This system can be monitored by any monitoring station so I would defo shop around.
    It can also be self monitored, I would recommend using a external dialer to do same tho.

Advertisement